Replacing electric radiators?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Daughter has recently moved into a flat which is all electric. It's about 20 years old and the heating system is pretty crap. She's complaining the place is cold even when they are all turned on. There is some heat comes out of them, but it's not enough to heat the rooms. There is no central thermostat, each radiator has a temperature dial, and those old fashioned timers where you push or pull out pins to set it.

Any recommendations for a decent system to replace them with? An idea of price to do a 2 bed flat would also be appreciated!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Daughter has recently moved into a flat which is all electric. It's about 20 years old and the heating system is pretty crap. She's complaining the place is cold even when they are all turned on. There is some heat comes out of them, but it's not enough to heat the rooms. There is no central thermostat, each radiator has a temperature dial, and those old fashioned timers where you push or pull out pins to set it.

Any recommendations for a decent system to replace them with? An idea of price to do a 2 bed flat would also be appreciated!
Are they Storage heaters or just convection?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We bought some electric radiators for our garden cabin ( 4 x 3 m)

They are very good

There is an online calculator to advise which size to get.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just had a quote of 7k to replace 7 radiators! When I said that's a lot more than I expected, I got a spiel about premium products and a 25 year warranty. Even so, that seems absurdly high to me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is a flat it is presumably leasehold.
Are the radiators fixed and part of the landlords fixtures. If yes are they responsible for them, if not does it still need landlords approval to change them.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I used Electric Radiators Direct.
2 x 500w - £239 each.
1 x 1000w - £312.79.
1 x 1500w - £367.99.
Heated Towel Rail from Screw Fix for Bathroom.

Absolutely no complaints, I went for black so look pretty good also.
I'll get a couple of pictures when I finish work.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just had a quote of 7k to replace 7 radiators! When I said that's a lot more than I expected, I got a spiel about premium products and a 25 year warranty. Even so, that seems absurdly high to me.
Priced up the radiators using the online calculator, based on the ones which have been recommended on here. Just over a grand for what she needs.

Her partner has moved in with her. His dad is a electrician. I had a look on YouTube at what's involved in replacing electric radiators, it's a very straightforward job for a spark. I asked him if he would mind fitting them if I buy them, to help the youngsters out. Response came back "I've never fitted electric radiators". I say it looks pretty straightforward, and sent him the video. No reply. Great.

So will now need to ring round electricians to see if I can get a reasonable quote for fitting them.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Priced up the radiators using the online calculator, based on the ones which have been recommended on here. Just over a grand for what she needs.

Her partner has moved in with her. His dad is a electrician. I had a look on YouTube at what's involved in replacing electric radiators, it's a very straightforward job for a spark. I asked him if he would mind fitting them if I buy them, to help the youngsters out. Response came back "I've never fitted electric radiators". I say it looks pretty straightforward, and sent him the video. No reply. Great.

So will now need to ring round electricians to see if I can get a reasonable quote for fitting them.

That’s ridiculous, it’s so straightforward it’s barely an electrical job at all! Apart from connecting to the spur (assuming they are not on plug tops) it’s just about putting them up level!
Even if he’s just an Electrician who has worked in the same factory for 30 years on machinery he would be able to do it!

Ask him if he cannot do it, does he know anyone who can do it for you for a fair price. It might prompt him to do it out of pride.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That’s ridiculous, it’s so straightforward it’s barely an electrical job at all! Apart from connecting to the spur (assuming they are not on plug tops) it’s just about putting them up level!
Even if he’s just an Electrician who has worked in the same factory for 30 years on machinery he would be able to do it!

Ask him if he cannot do it, does he know anyone who can do it for you for a fair price. It might prompt him to do it out of pride.
Exactly. It looks so simple I'm half-tempted to do it myself, even though I'm a bit cack-handed at DIY and don't like messing with electricity. It's 5 radiators, I reckon a couple of hours work at most.

It's his lad I feel sorry for, we've done loads to help them in their first house, his parents have done sod all. I guess we're not all cut from the same cloth.

Anyway, he's had his chance. If he won't help out willingly, I'll find someone else. I won't be asking for any more help from him.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Exactly. It looks so simple I'm half-tempted to do it myself, even though I'm a bit cack-handed at DIY and don't like messing with electricity. It's 5 radiators, I reckon a couple of hours work at most.

It's his lad I feel sorry for, we've done loads to help them in their first house, his parents have done sod all. I guess we're not all cut from the same cloth.

Anyway, he's had his chance. If he won't help out willingly, I'll find someone else. I won't be asking for any more help from him.
Fair enough, you could mount them yourself and maybe get a sparks to just connect them up?

Or just get a sparks to do the whole thing, it will be a days work so expect to pay between £180 and £350.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'd give it a go yourself , long as your just replacing it should be straight forward

I had to do one that was in the bathroom (long gone now thankfully) but the previous owner had an electric heater that you could reach from the bath !!! Off a fuse spur

So I bought a timed fuse for more control and put in and electric towel rail so it was safer

Soon as we could afford the bathroom to be done we got a proper towel rail plumbed in

Amount of bodging the previous owner did .. jez