Another one for Plumbers / Heating gurus

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To save hijacking Grieginfifes threat below..

My heating system has a Potterton combi boiler located on the top floor and has two thermostat zones for upper and lower floors.

p_prt2.jpg

Last week i lowered the downstairs thermostat but later noticed the heating was still on. I hear the audible "click" and the light changed from green "reached", to red "below" LED indicating the thermostat changed its level. However all radiators in the zone remained on for hours, until i took some remedial action

Essentially the fascia of these thermostats are removable, so i swapped the the upper and lower fascias around to see if the upper zones decided to follow the same unusual behaviour of the lower floors. I guessed that the actual thermostat part or the unit was located in the removable fascia and may be faulty. Nothing happened however and the downstairs remained on and the upstairs off.

I then switched off the boiler at the mains for 30 minutes, switched back on and the lower floor now worked in junction with the thermostat..

Its been fine for a week, however yesterday it happened again meaning that the radiators are on full whack regardless of the thermostats settings.

Outcome of this is that unless i switch off all central heating via the combi boiler, my ground floors are red roasting hot.. not ideal

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Any other basic tests i can conduct before i get someone out?

help very much appreciated

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not an expert, but in my case I had one zone where it didn't matter what the thermostat said, it either didn't come on or was on and never turned off. Turned out it was my 3-way actuator motor in the airing cupboard that was faulty, failing to switch the pipe valve for heating/hot water.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting you should say that pal

Just reading about diverter valves now actually. Symptoms look very similar to what i am experiencing.

D

Deleted member 1740

The stat turns the zone valve on and off, get someone to turn the stat on and off and listen to the zone valve and sed iff ypu can hear the motor move.

ring me if you need to

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found out that there is mains electricity running into these thermostats a few years back when I took the cover off and probed around a bit when mine wasn’t working as I thought it should ...

Not one if of my best ideas