Electric Trolleys, Motocaddy or Powakaddy?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Looking at a purchase tomorrow and am ready to purchase from somebody I know and looking for some advice

Is the lithium battery worth the extra cost?

And of the 2 brands, what would people say is better, or is there literally nothing to choose between them?

Was looking at the Powacaddy FW3i and Motocaddy S1 Digital

Many Thanks!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ive the S3 motocaddy. its the only electric i've had. very good and the battery is well worth it, charges in far less time and much lighter than a conventional bat. my next one i will be going for just the standard version as mine has all sorts of extra features i just don't use part from the 5 min stop watch.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at a purchase tomorrow and am ready to purchase from somebody I know and looking for some advice

Is the lithium battery worth the extra cost?

And of the 2 brands, what would people say is better, or is there literally nothing to choose between them?

Was looking at the Powacaddy FW3i and Motocaddy S1 Digital

Many Thanks!!!
I have the S1 Motocaddy and upgraded to a lithium battery about 18 months ago, I would recommend both.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got the Motocaddy S3 which has now done just over 2000 miles with no major problems that i can think of.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a Motokaddy M2 and it was crap .
The motor was faulty and chewed three batteries in 18 months
The customer service was s**** and kept saying nothing was wrong, got an independent test done and motor was at fault.
My pro was good and traded it in for me.
Gone back to Powakaddy.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a Motokaddy M2 and it was crap .
The motor was faulty and chewed three batteries in 18 months
The customer service was s**** and kept saying nothing was wrong, got an independent test done and motor was at fault.
My pro was good and traded it in for me.
Gone back to Powakaddy.

I was wondering on both, but the common opinion on here seems to be that Motocaddy's customer service far outstripped Powakaddys, so I went for one of them. We all have our own experiences, though.

I had to charge my previous lead acid after every round on my S3, but my S3 pro lithium only needs it doing every 2-3 rounds.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Motocaddy here too.

Never had an issue and I hear many horror stories about Powakaddy. Saying that, my mate in work got a Powakaddy last year and has had no issues, if anything it also appears to be more powerful than mine going uphill!

Hillbilly do good deals on lithium trollies, have you looked into them?

shane3003

Visit site
I'm also lookin at purchasing a Motocaddy electric trolley but can't decide between, M1 Pro DHC Lithium or the S7 Remote?
Also is it worth going for the Extended Lithium or not? I only ever seem to do 18 holes.
Sorry to ask questions on your thread :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
whatever trolley you have Lithium batteries are the way to go.. Lead batteries need replace much quicker than them and weigh a ton compared

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Powacaddie with lithium here, no issues at all and now on my 5th season with the trolley and second with the battery

Had a motocaddy previously which was fine but find the build quality of the powacaddie much better.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You might consider a Hill Billy, virtually a Powakaddy under a different name.

Forget the balls and whistles, my mates have top of the range trollies. Never use the functions, expensive bragging rights.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forgot to say my Trolley is a motocaddy m1 and have had it in 36 hole lithium since 2013

No issues so far (touch wood)

smashem

Visit site
Here's my thoughts on the subject:-

I decided to buy a Motocaddy M3 trolley with 36 hole lithium battery. I also bought a cover for it, hedgehog wheels, Motocaddy cart bag lite, brolly & holder, score card holder, & Motocaddy towel. So far so good.

First impressions were good, but fter using it a few times, I found that there was no parking brake on it to stop it running away when playing a shot on a hill. Also there is no on/off switch? You have to pull the mains plug out to turn it off. Next I noticed the wiring under the trolley was very rough, not finished off well at all. Looked a bit like a diy job. Non of these points stop the trolley working it's just my observation & preference.

Now the problems. First the cart bag. I found that the umbrella pocket was too big for the umbrella. This allowed the umbrella to slide down & dig into the ground thus bringing the trolley to an abrupt stop & slowly ripping that side of the cart bag! Next the M3 motor which has a 2yr guarantee not a mileage one. After 480 miles it burnt out meaning I had to purchase another at a cost of £60.49 inc delivery. The 36hole battery would only do a max of 33 holes depending on the course so would always need charging after 18 holes.

I emailed Motocaddy about my concerns with their products & received a reply saying that I should have voiced my concerns with the umbrella & cart bag earlier because now it's out of warranty. I suppose that's a fair point. Next, there is no distance guarantee on the motor. They say it could burn out after 40 miles or 1000 miles. I think that a 2yr guarantee on a motor which is used as & when depending on the weather, is a bit poor.

All in all I'm disappointed with my purchase & would not buy another. I think they're overpriced, high maintenance & not that good in quality. Next time I will buy a good quality push trolley. Motorcaddy customer service is poor too. They should take a few lessons from Amazon.

I hope this review helps anyone thinking of buy any motorised trolley.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a Powakaddy FW3 earlier this year, really pleased overall and makes such a difference compared to push trolley. Love the auto advance feature to a pre set distance....nice when on greens to advance your trolley to the next tee.

Lithium is definitely the way to go, so light and with a good warranty.

Now the (minor) negatives which I never really considered before buying:

No brake as mentioned earlier - would think that could be added given the technology it comes with.
The 9 pre set speeds are OTT. 1-3 is barely moving and over 6 means you would have to run alongside!
I would actually prefer a 4.5, there is a noticeable difference between a 4 and 5, with 5 being a bit too fast.
Speed does vary with slope as you would expect, so you need to move the dial on steep slopes.
There is an on/off switch but you need to remove the battery - bit of a pain if you forget to switch it on before attaching your bag and clubs (and if you forget to switch it off when loading it in the car, and accidentally press the dial (as I have done!)).
Be careful you don't press the dial accidentally - I did it when removing my driver from the bag....had to run after the trolley !!

Despite these minor grumbles overall I am really pleased.