Elated:1st ever matchplay game/win

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played in works society knockout cup matchplay competition today.My 1st ever competitive matchplay game.
Dithered for weeks whether to play this game..several reasons..struggling badly of late,lack of confidence,possible humiliation playing against a 9 handicapper etc etc
But decided couple of weeks ago 'what the hell' it will be a new experience for me AND boosted by a decent gross 95 (25 hcapper ) on Sunday...Well I went and won didnt I!!!
Won 4 & 3?? (was won on the 15th hole )
Felt inspired and buzzed up against a good golfer and my concentration levels were excellent..I NEVER thought about winning the game until I came off the 14th hole 3 holes up....just took every shot at a time mentality....with a shot on my opponent on 16 holes early in the game I began to realize if I play consistently I can make a game of it..
After we finished at the 15th we completed the round for my gross score....a 2nd best ever 94..only one 7.....and only 5 double bogeys...

Am buzzing again after a bad run of late

Kev

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well done mate.

I like hearing of these type of victories, it's what makes the game so accessible to all ages and abilities.

Always get a grumbling or 2 from folk when they are giving away shots, but that's what it's all about.

Best of luck in the next round.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done mate.

I like hearing of these type of victories, it's what makes the game so accessible to all ages and abilities.

Always get a grumbling or 2 from folk when they are giving away shots, but that's what it's all about.

Best of luck in the next round.

Nice words mate thanks.

I had never met my opponent until yesterdays game but he was praiseworthy to me and very sporting in defeat.Our game even felt quite relaxed all the way around with good banter etc and I am sure this helped me.

No whingeing at all from him.I had been told he had cracking power height and distance with his shots but could also be wayward.Mines a tight course with trees abound and he was in them a few times to my once.I was regularly 50/75 yards behind his drives but I just concentrated well and did not let that get to me.

I putted some crackers too.....what a bonus to help me.

Thanks Kev