EG App Issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this correct?

I played in a society meet and stuck a card in, nobody in the society is a EG member so i sent a copy of the card to one of my mates to verify.

Is the above against the rules?

For clarity it was one of my better rounds and will be used as a counter card.

From my very limited experience of submitting 2 rounds and reading as much as I can regarding the MyEG app... If the scorecard isn't created prior to the round and the person who attests the score isn't also with you playing the round, the submission won't count towards your handicap.

The info on the EG website states:

In order to protect the integrity of the handicap system, please note the following:
  • Geo-location technology will ensure pre-registering the intent to post a score can only be done in close proximity to the course where the round will take place
  • A time lag will be in operation from the point where intent to play a round is registered to the stage when a score can be accepted
  • A golfer’s final score must be verified by a playing partner who has witnessed the round and who holds a World Handicap System handicap index

D

Deleted member 1740

From my very limited experience of submitting 2 rounds and reading as much as I can regarding the MyEG app... If the scorecard isn't created prior to the round and the person who attests the score isn't also with you playing the round, the submission won't count towards your handicap.

The info on the EG website states:

In order to protect the integrity of the handicap system, please note the following:
  • Geo-location technology will ensure pre-registering the intent to post a score can only be done in close proximity to the course where the round will take place
  • A time lag will be in operation from the point where intent to play a round is registered to the stage when a score can be accepted
  • A golfer’s final score must be verified by a playing partner who has witnessed the round and who holds a World Handicap System handicap index

Thanks Dan.

As I was playing in a "society competition" I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to stick a card in.

As I see WHS, I think Any competitive cards should be entered as it'll give a true Handicap over time. Having a causal round of golf were gimmes are given then I wouldn't bother

Obviously on this occasion it was a genuine error. I haven't gained anything from it and as it was a decent card it's one that's counted and I've dropped a shot.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Dan.

As I was playing in a "society competition" I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to stick a card in.

As I see WHS, I think Any competitive cards should be entered as it'll give a true Handicap over time. Having a causal round of golf were gimmes are given then I wouldn't bother

Obviously on this occasion it was a genuine error. I haven't gained anything from it and as it was a decent card it's one that's counted and I've dropped a shot.

There's e still a lot of uncertainty on my part about how it all works as I don't have enough rounds on there. I'm hoping that any round played with someone else who also uses the MyEG app and attests to the score will count towards my handicap.

I'm the same as you whereby I want my handicap to be a true reflection of playing ability and I'm aiming to get it as low as possible. I was hoping I could do this as a nomad using the app so when I do join a club, I've got enough evidence to support whatever handicap I get given.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Clubs are against it because they believe it will harm their revenue by reducing the overall number of club members - any other considerations (and handicap abuse isn't one of them) are trivial in comparison - and most golfers are totally unconcerned by it.
Not from what I've seen, when it was brought up on a Scottish golf facebook page, there were very few in favour, most massively against, maybe your opinion is just an arrogant fallacy?

Also, this idea that members of an independent handicap scheme would deliberately abuse/manipulate the handicap system any more than club members is an arrogant fallacy.
As the scheme has only just begun, you've not a shred of evidence to back that up. It may turn out to be fallacy, it may turn out to be a genuine concern, which is what I'm saying here (y)

wjemather

Visit site
Not from what I've seen, when it was brought up on a Scottish golf facebook page, there were very few in favour, most massively against, maybe your opinion is just an arrogant fallacy?

As the scheme has only just begun, you've not a shred of evidence to back that up. It may turn out to be fallacy, it may turn out to be a genuine concern, which is what I'm saying here (y)
Thankfully for the rest of us, golf exists outside the scope of a Scottish facebook page.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because i sent a copy of my card and I inputted the scores on EG.

I assumed it was allowed as it was done with honesty and integrity. It was also agreed by the society organiser.

I won't do it again now I know it's againt the rules.

I can see how some would/could abuse the system.

Have EG not got any official guidance on Independent Golfers submitting cards for handicaps. I would be interested to know as EG official stated to county’s that there would be a HC committee running the system the same way as clubs are supposed to. @DannyOT

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which rule?

I do it, not everyone I play with has the app and it saves the pro shop manually putting in the card.

Depends on what your clubs HC Committee has laid down for casual rounds entered via the EG app. We only allow the EG app to be used and verified by a person who is present during the round and holds an official HI.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only guidance I can find regarding how to obtain / maintain a handicap using igolf instead of club membership is from here:

https://www.englandigolf.co.uk/your-official-whs-index/

The things I'm unsure of are the 'marker verification'.. is that just having a playing partner attest your score or something else?

Also, I signed up for igolf with a mate and we are both in the process of getting our first handicap. We've been confirming each others scores but if we both don't yet have a handicap, does that count?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no geo-location done on the marker who is attesting your score by the MyEG app.

Although you are obviously not supposed to, there is nothing in the app that prevents you from selecting anyone to attest your score.

You can select someone you played with (irrespective of whether they themselves played or registered for a score or not) or you can select someone who hasn't been anywhere near the golf course on the day you played....the app does not check on your markers physical presence....indeed how can it be expected to? You want to submit a score....your marker who has left his mobile at home....why should he be prevented from attesting your score just because his phone wasn't present at the course?

wjemather

Visit site
Have EG not got any official guidance on Independent Golfers submitting cards for handicaps. I would be interested to know as EG official stated to county’s that there would be a HC committee running the system the same way as clubs are supposed to. @DannyOT
Yes, they do. There is an iGolf team administering the system, and an array of downloadable information at https://englandigolf.co.uk/useful-information/, including this procedure document which I think many clubs would benefit from adapting for their own members.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only guidance I can find regarding how to obtain / maintain a handicap using igolf instead of club membership is from here:

https://www.englandigolf.co.uk/your-official-whs-index/

The things I'm unsure of are the 'marker verification'.. is that just having a playing partner attest your score or something else?

Also, I signed up for igolf with a mate and we are both in the process of getting our first handicap. We've been confirming each others scores but if we both don't yet have a handicap, does that count?

I presume you have read the following https://englandigolf.co.uk/your-official-whs-index/

D

Deleted member 1740

Im not too sure.

I'm a member of an affiliated golf club so don't normally have any issues but seeing as I was playing in a n organised society competition I thought I'd enter a score.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, they do. There is an iGolf team administering the system, and an array of downloadable information at https://englandigolf.co.uk/useful-information/, including this procedure document which I think many clubs would benefit from adapting for their own members.

Thanks. I hadn't found the procedure documents. It seems to be clearer in what is necessary for a round to count towards handicap.

From that document, 2 things stand out:

- The round, including the addition of playing partners, has to be set up within proximity to the course.
- At the end of the round, you choose which playing partners to verify your score.

In practice, I'm not sure this is exactly how it works as I seem to be able to choose anyone with a membership number to verify a score, regardless of if they played with me or not. Unless those rounds simply won't count?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks. I hadn't found the procedure documents. It seems to be clearer in what is necessary for a round to count towards handicap.

From that document, 2 things stand out:

- The round, including the addition of playing partners, has to be set up within proximity to the course.
- At the end of the round, you choose which playing partners to verify your score.

In practice, I'm not sure this is exactly how it works as I seem to be able to choose anyone with a membership number to verify a score, regardless of if they played with me or not. Unless those rounds simply won't count?

The system would not know if the verification is done by someone who played with you. I have always choose the person to verify at the registration phase prior to playing, not sure how it is programmed but this maybe the issue.