Effects of the New Course Rating

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't seem to find anything on this but am wondering if......
It will lead to 'Genderless tees' on all courses?
Hole indexes the same for all tees?
Competitors being able to use various tees for the same Competition?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lot of different questions there!

1. No such thing as genderless tees, because tees don't have gender. Courses (using a set of tees) are rated - and they are rated against different parameters for different genders. Thus the same set of tees will have different ratings for the different genders - typically around 5 or 6 strokes difference (via whatever rating system is employed). We have one set of tees rated (under the old system) at SSS 73 for ladies and SSS 67 for men.
2. Some clubs allocate a single set of SI to their holes regardless of tees or gender. Some allocate a set for men and another for ladies (common where par differs) and some have different SI allocations for each set of tees and each gender....
3. Already happens at our club (agaisnt old ratings)- ratings merely facilitate it, clubs have to make their own decisions. The rating process has got clubs thinking about this more, and some have had more tees rated - but many won't change anything (not all have sufficient differentials, or options, anyway).

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I should probably add that the biggest differences going forwards are -
1. More accurate handicapping of the bogey (20 hcp) golfer across different courses
2. The ability of golfers with handicaps from different authorities to compete in events (USGA, CONGU, EGA etc)

The latter is only theoretical really because there are already established calculations to convert one to another on any given course pretty easily - but many organisers use this as an excuse, or as a method to favour local players...

Otoh it's fair to say that the re-rating exercise overall will also tidy up a number of anomalies and evolved issues.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
This year for the first time we have the option of playing either white or yellow in our Tuesday medals. Both have there own Standard Scratch, but the same stroke index.
We now have a measured 9 hole composite course with its own score card and it's own SS and S.I.
It can be used for CONGU handicap purposes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see where I play having course ratings for men and ladies red and yellow but I cannot see the need for a ladies course rating for the whites

I do not know if all ratings are done as part of the process or if we have to request what we want when we get ours done.

D

Deleted member 16999

We’ve just received our letter from Durham County Golf Union(Monday) to say our course will be visited on 01st April to be rated.

The states they will rate the white, yellow and red tees, whether that means they will be rated for men and women I’m not sure.

We have asked if our new blue tees can be rated at the same time and the answer is No, they are currently only rating white, yellow and red as a priority, courses with blacks or championship tees will be rated on a follow up visit once all courses in County Durham have been done for the other 3.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst I understand the unions may have deadlines to meet with regard to course rating ahead of the WHS it would be nice if all tees were eventually rated for all genders.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I understand the unions may have deadlines to meet with regard to course rating ahead of the WHS it would be nice if all tees were eventually rated for all genders.
You definitely aren't the only person to hold that view Nick!

The way the system works most of the work is done ie the hazards (non rules speak!) are mapped, the greens, rough, fairway widths and other relevant elements recorded. Recording the distances to the other tees and plugging in to the program delivers the rest.

However...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see where I play having course ratings for men and ladies red and yellow but I cannot see the need for a ladies course rating for the whites

I do not know if all ratings are done as part of the process or if we have to request what we want when we get ours done.

Request/discuss - as Paul has posted reactions to deadlines are now be becoming evident.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

I depends on your county. We ask the clubs which tees they want rating and for what gender(s). We often suggest that the reds are rated for men and possibly (dependent on length), the yellows for ladies. Incidentally, if two tees (say yellow and blue men's) are within 25 yards of each other the hole only needs to be rated once.

In addition, after the ratings have been received, it may be worth getting a number of 9s rated (paper exercise by England Golf). 9 hole comps are now getting quite popular.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I depends on your county. We ask the clubs which tees they want rating and for what gender(s). We often suggest that the reds are rated for men and possibly (dependent on length), the yellows for ladies. Incidentally, if two tees (say yellow and blue men's) are within 25 yards of each other the hole only needs to be rated once.

In addition, after the ratings have been received, it may be worth getting a number of 9s rated (paper exercise by England Golf). 9 hole comps are now getting quite popular.
Ah, I forgot about the 25yds bit in my response above! Thanks for highlighting it..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up re 9. We have a 9 hole course with different tees front and back 9s which has normal SS ratings . The front nine is certificated for 9 hole comps so we should have it rated for WHS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up re 9. We have a 9 hole course with different tees front and back 9s which has normal SS ratings . The front nine is certificated for 9 hole comps so we should have it rated for WHS.
I am surprised that it has not already been rated. The measurements used for the 9 hole are taken from the 18 hole Course Rating.

Edit: Of course they will have been taken from the old SSS rating data.

NearHull

Visit site
Last summer I helped out with the ratings teams for the local area. I am not trained and only provided factual stuff , ie yardages etc. What becomes obvious is that the width of the fairway at the prescribed landing areas for first, second and occasionally third shots, coupled with the the closeness of the rough and the ability to recover from that rough seems to have the major impact. I’ve only done a little green assessment help and couldn’t offer an opinion on the relative impacts of size, slope, bunkers but of course they all have some impact.

What have I learnt so far; course designers really do know what they are doing! It’s stopped being a surprise to go to the prescribed landing areas to find that the fairway narrows, the bunkers encroach, the rough is closer, the cross ditch appears! It’s does seem to be the case for each of the prescribed shot lengths whether from white or yellow, scratch or bogey golfer - a bit of an eye opener for me after 25 yrs of playing (should it have been so?)
I am hoping to carry on helping this year and undergo some formal training.

One item that probably needs highlighting to those on the course whilst the measuring team is out there is the fact that they are indeed there. Clubs Pros/starters don’t appear to publicise to those about to play that there is a measuring team out there who seem to be running amok but are really trying to do a job discreetly. Perhaps it also feeds into the thread about reporting to the pro shop before going to the tee.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We (ie my county team leaders) always arrange about 4 or 5 pre-booked times that are closed to members etc. We also ask that the club publishes the fact that we will be there on a particular date and require them to place a notice on the first tee. We try provide all team members with hi-viz vests (99p each)

NearHull

Visit site
The yellow hi viz makes sense.

( We could also then pop over to France at the weekends and join in the fun)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We’ve just received our letter from Durham County Golf Union(Monday) to say our course will be visited on 01st April to be rated.

The states they will rate the white, yellow and red tees, whether that means they will be rated for men and women I’m not sure.

We have asked if our new blue tees can be rated at the same time and the answer is No, they are currently only rating white, yellow and red as a priority, courses with blacks or championship tees will be rated on a follow up visit once all courses in County Durham have been done for the other 3.

That seems pointless to me when they're already at your course and rating it. Yes I appreciate the scale and constraints of getting round all courses in the county but as I say they are already at locus!!

D

Deleted member 16999

That seems pointless to me when they're already at your course and rating it. Yes I appreciate the scale and constraints of getting round all courses in the county but as I say they are already at locus!!
Exactly, that’s why we asked.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Then I wished you had done ours as they refused to do our reds for males and yellows and whites for female