Effective Way To Warm Up With No Driving Range??

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
par 3 can be a tough start. particularly long ones.

i much prefer smashing driver. scuffing an iron. 1 chip 1 putt ta very much. well loosened up. ;)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure there's a pattern, I just never seem to get a good connection, I might hit it really thin, or just well short as I feel really inflexible which seems to make my swing slower than normal. I have birdied this hole once ever, so I have that to call upon when visualising. It means I know I can play it well anyway. It still may be a case of mind over matter.

Sounds like a bit of both then, l try warming up physically and mentally for a few rounds and see how it goes :thup:

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My course has no range or even practise nets so I struggle to warm-up effectively - our first is a tricky par 3 surrounded by bunkers so requires a good tee shot (usually around 7 iron length), but without a decent warm-up I often fluff it. My last three scores on this hole have been 6, 7 & 6, so I'm putting my round at a disadvantage straight away.

My usual warm-up routine is to do some stretching, rotating my back and shoulders, stretching arms etc, swing a club several times, and that's about all I can really do, but this doesn't seem to be doing the job like actually hitting ten balls on a range would do. Some of you must play at courses with no range or practise facility, what do you guys do to make sure you're sharp on the first tee?

At my club, we do have facilities to help you warm up, whether or not I use them before my tee off time depends if I'm running late or not.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet so apologies if this has already been suggested, by why don't you work on hitting a 5 iron 75% which would be more accurate and easier to hit than a full force 7 iron to reach the green? I've taken this approach and also use it whilst approaching greens around the course and have seen my handicap drop from 24 to 17 within the season.

If you go to the driving range and find a 150 yard marker, try hit the same marker several times with a reduced 5 iron, then switch back to a full 7 iron and see how much harder it is to get close.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my club, we do have facilities to help you warm up, whether or not I use them before my tee off time depends if I'm running late or not.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet so apologies if this has already been suggested, by why don't you work on hitting a 5 iron 75% which would be more accurate and easier to hit than a full force 7 iron to reach the green? I've taken this approach and also use it whilst approaching greens around the course and have seen my handicap drop from 24 to 17 within the season.

If you go to the driving range and find a 150 yard marker, try hit the same marker several times with a reduced 5 iron, then switch back to a full 7 iron and see how much harder it is to get close.

Thanks for the suggestion but my 5 iron is pretty much the worst club in the bag so I can't see that helping my frame of mind. The hole is only 151 yards off whites according to the card, so a 7 iron should be more than enough (I do recall going over the back on one of the few times I hit a good connection). It has half crossed my mind to give it a bump with the 4 hybrid though, hard to judge the distance but at least I should be over the back at worst, which is an easier second shot than being well short.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but my 5 iron is pretty much the worst club in the bag so I can't see that helping my frame of mind. The hole is only 151 yards off whites according to the card, so a 7 iron should be more than enough (I do recall going over the back on one of the few times I hit a good connection). It has half crossed my mind to give it a bump with the 4 hybrid though, hard to judge the distance but at least I should be over the back at worst, which is an easier second shot than being well short.

Trust me, try it next time you are at the range. Hitting 5 iron was difficult for me also. Try hitting 10 75% 5 Irons to 150 yards, which for me is a lot easier than hitting 10 7 Irons to 150 yards. Or if you want to try it with the Hybrid also, it doesn't just benefit your tee shots, it helps your recover shots also.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I didn't really think of teeing it up higher. Might try that this weekend. I usually prefer to tee it quite low for irons but for the first shot that might be worth trying.

'Laying up' isn't really an option, before the bunkers there is a ditch, and before that quite long rough. It's also a two tier green so if you chip your second up there but still on the bottom tier that's a tough two putt to even make a 4.

There's a couple of pictures of it here actually: http://www.hastehillgolfclub.co.uk/the-course/hole-by-hole/ Although it doesn't look as nice as that at the moment! The grass before the ditch looks almost harmless there, but when it's damp it can be nasty.

My Grandad used to take me to Haste Hill about 35 years ago, first used to be by the pavilion, short hole, I used to hit the green with a wood - could hit a wood better then than I can today.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No facilities at my club, I just go to the first tee and one practice swing then I'm away ,hit a good drive smack down the middle today:thup:

Not the best way to prepare for a game though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No facilities at my club, I just go to the first tee and one practice swing then I'm away ,hit a good drive smack down the middle today:thup:

Not the best way to prepare for a game though.
As mentioned earlier, I would love a nice wide par 4 to start my course. I wouldn't have any problems with that at all. It's just the fact that mine opens with a tough par 3 where you have to be accurate which makes it pretty difficult when you're not immediately sharp.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just replicate the master....

[video=youtube_share;RGiGEDnU6Tg]https://youtu.be/RGiGEDnU6Tg[/video]

BarryScott

Visit site
You could try building into your practice routine.

When you hit the range/practice ground, warm up, stretch and get yourself loose and then hit 7 iron first shot. No looseners, no build up from wedge. Try putting yourself under that bit of pressure in practice situations.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd love a short par three opener. Ours is 229 off the whites and at this time of year into the wind can be a driver

OOB right, a line of trees, jutting out and a pond short left. We do have a practice ground and I ensure I try and hit at least ten balls. If for some reason I can't then I have to do loads of stretching and take loads of practice swings. I struggle if I can't hit balls and this can be a card wrecker especially in a medal. I'll take a four everytime and to be honest with a reasonably straight forward par five next, a five isn't the end of the world as I get a shot.

To answer the OP it has to be a case of getting as loose and relaxed as you can. It may take a bit of trial and error based on the advice on here but I'm sure he'll find a way to get on the tee, confident and able to swing freely and will be reporting back about opening pars and birdies

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, I would love a nice wide par 4 to start my course. I wouldn't have any problems with that at all. It's just the fact that mine opens with a tough par 3 where you have to be accurate which makes it pretty difficult when you're not immediately sharp.

Ours is a par 4 start with a wide fairway and no trouble either side so generally a easy opening shot, lot harder for you with a tough par 3 to start ,and if I was playing that I would want some kind of warmup before I start.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd love a short par three opener. Ours is 229 off the whites and at this time of year into the wind can be a driver

OOB right, a line of trees, jutting out and a pond short left. We do have a practice ground and I ensure I try and hit at least ten balls. If for some reason I can't then I have to do loads of stretching and take loads of practice swings. I struggle if I can't hit balls and this can be a card wrecker especially in a medal. I'll take a four everytime and to be honest with a reasonably straight forward par five next, a five isn't the end of the world as I get a shot.

To answer the OP it has to be a case of getting as loose and relaxed as you can. It may take a bit of trial and error based on the advice on here but I'm sure he'll find a way to get on the tee, confident and able to swing freely and will be reporting back about opening pars and birdies

Although that pond shouldn't come into play that is not a easy opening hole, looks like it would have to be a bad slice to go ob as it seems to open up around 160?

No not a easy start, must say I'm not a fan of long par 3s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Although that pond shouldn't come into play that is not a easy opening hole, looks like it would have to be a bad slice to go ob as it seems to open up around 160?

No not a easy start, must say I'm not a fan of long par 3s.

OOB about 30 yards right so a big slice will get there. There is a large tree about 50 yards from the tee box which automatically forces you a little further right than you'd like especially off the plates. The biggest hazard tends to be the line of trees at around 180 yards that will block out anything short and right. Too far and you're at the bottom of them and luck of the gods if you get a shot through. SI10 and most low guys are happy with a 4.

I hosted a GM forum meet many years ago. Everyone saw a 160 yard par three off the yellow a bit like the OP's and didn't think it looked too intimidating until I pointed to the whites we were off on the day!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loved reading this thread, a huge eye opener for me. I never warm up before a round (except when i've gone into a round after a lesson which isn't that common). Comically having never seen the video I do quite a few of the moves that Jimenez did just for different reasons. I like to get those moves in so that I know how my body feels doing the swings, so I can gauge if I need to club up and go slower, or if I am game on ready to hit my normal clubs.