Edzell or Downfield

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Going to play one of these two courses next week, any views what’s the better course of the two or are they much the same? I’ve played Edzell once and was impressed with the course

Also Caird Park in Dundee is also a option as it's the closest to where I'm going but think this course is maybe not as good as the other two.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is quite a distance between Edzell and Downfield (approx 40 miles) but both are excellent courses with plenty other good courses in between My personal preference would be Edzell as I think it is a better course both in layout and clubhouse. Caird Park is a course I have never considered playing in the 20 years I have stayed in the area. Until recently it was owned and operated by Dundee Council, but I believe that it has recently been taken over by a French company who now run it along with Camperdown which is far better course in both layout and condition.

Have you considered other courses in the area such as Blairgowrie or Forfar, or even some of the excellent links courses like Monifeith, Arbroath etc.?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Downfield is a better course, but the club house is definitely better at Edzell. Too many short-ish par 4's with blind tee shots for me on Edzell. I might also be a little swayed as some of the greens on Edzell were sanded a week before we played and hadn't recovered very well, plus they were doing others whilst we played and it meant a few temps were in action. That aside, I still think I would have preferred the Downfield (ridiculous 16th hole aside)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't think there is much between them to be honest. Like Clive I think I prefer Edzell overall. Flows better and some great holes.

I am basing a lot of my choice on condition, having played Downfield twice in the summer and twice it was saturated underfoot, and I mean squelching!

They may have improved drainage since I last visited.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't think there is much between them to be honest. Like Clive I think I prefer Edzell overall. Flows better and some great holes.

I am basing a lot of my choice on condition, having played Downfield twice in the summer and twice it was saturated underfoot, and I mean squelching!

They may have improved drainage since I last visited.
when i played cabby this time last year it was bone dry and rock hard, far easier than the prev visit when it was wet and a slog TBH, happy to play there again if conditions were the same. Edzell was just a disappointment for me

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the input, I'm driving from Dundee to Aberdeen i would have liked to play Downfield as I've never played there before but think we will play Edzell as I've played there before and we might be pushed for time and it's not far off our route north.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Downfield is a great course but it's just not Edzell, so for me it would be Edzell unless I had an invite from The Gabby Cabby to play Downfield. It's not all about the course it's more to do with the company 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is quite a distance between Edzell and Downfield (approx 40 miles) but both are excellent courses with plenty other good courses in between My personal preference would be Edzell as I think it is a better course both in layout and clubhouse. Caird Park is a course I have never considered playing in the 20 years I have stayed in the area. Until recently it was owned and operated by Dundee Council, but I believe that it has recently been taken over by a French company who now run it along with Camperdown which is far better course in both layout and condition.

Have you considered other courses in the area such as Blairgowrie or Forfar, or even some of the excellent links courses like Monifeith, Arbroath etc.?

I quickly ruled out Caird Park although it's only 5 minutes away from where I'm going,I played Forfar last year and wasn't expecting the undulations on the fairways but the course was enjoyable but had the feeling of being a little run down.

My home course is a links and I generally prefer to play parkland/ moorland courses when I get the chance.