Edinburgh Courses

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Evening all,

7 of us are looking to head up to Edinburgh on the weekend of the 7th/8th May.

We've a round booked at Dalmahoy (east course) on the Sunday as its kind of enroute home back to Lancashire but we're looking at somewhere for the Saturday as well - realise it'll likely be an afternoon round with comps etc.

We'll be staying in Edinburgh and willing to travel 10 or 15 miles.

Preferably around the £50 to £60 if possible? Realise this rules out the more prestigious courses but its a mixed group ability and interest wise so not everyone is willing to shell out a fortune for an angry walk ?.

Responses much appreciated!

Ta

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
By May 7/8 you may well be able to get a reasonable twilight rate.
Braids in Edinburgh is an enjoyable course with great views over the City.
Mussleburgh old course is historic. Gullane number 3 is the cheapest of the Gullane courses and very enjoyable but short. West Linton always used to be an enjoyable trip from Edinburgh and had space at weekends but it's a while since I lived there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You may be able to get a deal for Gullane 2 and 3 in the same day. 3 is pretty good, but 2 is a definite step up. Braids is definitely 'unique' - mainly in a good way! Otherwise follow Kaz's advice. She's the 'in the know' local.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gullane 2 is a great course and very good value compared with other courses in the area. A little bit more than 15 miles though.

sunshine

Visit site
Key question: why are you traveling up to Scotland to play golf?

For me, I’d be looking to play some links golf, because it’s a novelty and I live a long way from a proper links. If that’s the case read the response from Kaz. ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had 2 guests up to play in Edingburgh the best course we played was Duddingston and it was on a Saturday, next was Prestonfield which was ok but not as enjoyable as Duddingston both courses 15 minutes from city Centre , the last course we played was Aberdour a bit farther out over the bridge but this was the most fun course we played, short with some stunning views especially the first 3 holes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Duddingston ranks with Mortonhall as the 2 favourite 'city' courses. Prestonfield was prone to sogginess when I was there - many years ago.
I agree with Sunshine - why travel so far to play parkland courses? So go for links. But perhaps consider West Linton as one to play on the way in or out - a very pleasant Moorland course.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys, plenty to think about.

I'm tempted to push a links course tbh and try and get a mix for the weekend.

Early favourite is Craigielaw as its within budget (at a stretch), just about within range, and has availability at 1pm on the Saturday which leaves plenty of time for the extra curricular activities in the evening. Having no experience of the course has anyone here played it and, if so, what are their thoughts on it?

Unfortunately only 2 of us have official handicaps so Opens are out of the question, but I do like the suggestion.

Tbh I was brought into the fold a little late on this otherwise I would have gone for the links for both rounds, I'm not sure where Dalmahoy came from as a suggestion!

Crucially its an equal parts golf and drinking weekend, with 3 of the 7 not particularly avid golfers. If it had been an out and out golf trip I'd have been insisting we drive the extra and go St Andrews

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Early favourite is Craigielaw as its within budget (at a stretch), just about within range, and has availability at 1pm on the Saturday which leaves plenty of time for the extra curricular activities in the evening. Having no experience of the course has anyone here played it and, if so, what are their thoughts on it?
I was a member there for several years from when it opened, so recommend it highly! Very nice course, great clubhouse (even when it was a portacabin) and friendly folk running it - who have likely moved on. Great views and wildlife too.And you've just triggered my memory of my 'favourite' short Par 4 - the 15th. I've scored everything from a 2 (memorable last round there) to a 7!
Crucially its an equal parts golf and drinking weekend, with 3 of the 7 not particularly avid golfers. If it had been an out and out golf trip I'd have been insisting we drive the extra and go St Andrews
Make sure you do any 'serious' drinking in Edinburgh and not immediately after Golf - as C'law is about half an hour's drive from the city. Unless you are staying in Aberlady, Gullane, Longniddry - all just up the road - or even The Lodge @Craigielaw (new since I was there).

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try Bathgate GC, resonable price and usually in great condition in the summer and a test for any golfer. The home course of 2 Ryder cup Captains, Stephen Gallacher and some friendly natives.:p

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I won a golf trip to Edinburgh a few years ago. The courses were Braids Hill and Swanston. Both were fun to play, don't think they would beat up mixed ability groups and are on the right side of Edinburgh for you. I'm sure they aren't as sexy as the courses already mentioned but I think they would fit the brief pretty well.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Craigielaw is not well liked around here. Tricked up greens spoil the course for me.
Kilspindie next door is a gem of a course. Short, but full of character.
The lodge at Craigielaw is a lovely place to stay unless you want to be in Edinburgh of course.

peld

Visit site
Tbh I was brought into the fold a little late on this otherwise I would have gone for the links for both rounds, I'm not sure where Dalmahoy came from as a suggestion!
Sadly Dalmahoy was the probably easy to book (as a member we are frustrated with how many visitors the place has). The East is a good test - its very long (6700 off the yellows, we play medals at almost 7000) but is forgiving off the tee.

On a sunday afternoon in May you will be limited - Gullane 2 might be an option though top end of budget. Otherwise a Fife links might be an option? Craigielaw is ok for a pay and play - as others note the greens are very marmite about how they are designed.

peld

Visit site
I like Craigielaw. It’s more of a modern rather than traditional links but very enjoyable. Lots of folk moan about the greens but that’s the modern style for championship courses, I think. They’re large, with clear sections to them and run off areas. Need to think about going for the right part of the green rather than just getting anywhere on the dance floor or you risk 3 putting.
The clubhouse and set up is great (would take that over somewhere like Luffness), and they do good deals.

The green set up is too penal - if you hit an approach and it effectively hits the fringe 1 yard off the green, it can catapult 40 yards away. People who play it arent championship players.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Craigielaw is not well liked around here. Tricked up greens spoil the course for me.
Kilspindie next door is a gem of a course. Short, but full of character.
The lodge at Craigielaw is a lovely place to stay unless you want to be in Edinburgh of course.
Re the bold bit...I've never 'got' that attitude. Sure, many of the greens are unnaturally raised, but so what! That helps drainage and adds a little more to the challenge of those holes. Always seemed to me that it's just narrow-mindedness as, to me, they are not really 'tricked up', but simply 'created' - apparently from the previous use as potato fields. Would you consider (fabulous imo) 16th at North Berwick to be tricked up?
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=813789232617956&_rdr And, from ancient memory so I may be wrong, even NB's 1st green is some way above the level of the shot in too.
I agree re Kilspindie - a really fun course. I've used almost every club in the bag (certainly both Driver an PW!) for the tee shot on 8!

Last edited:

Hugh74

Visit site
So many courses to choose from in East Lothian but the Glen in North Berwick is a good shout and often overlooked in favour of the usual suspects, Gullane etc...