Edinburgh Courses

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Re the bold bit...I've never 'got' that attitude. Sure, many of the greens are unnaturally raised, but so what! That helps drainage and adds a little more to the challenge of those holes. Always seemed to me that it's just narrow-mindedness as, to me, they are not really 'tricked up', but simply 'created' - apparently from the previous use as potato fields. Would you consider (fabulous imo) 16th at North Berwick to be tricked up?
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=813789232617956&_rdr And, from ancient memory so I may be wrong, even NB's 1st green is some way above the level of the shot in too.
I agree re Kilspindie - a really fun course. I've used almost every club in the bag (certainly both Driver an PW!) for the tee shot on 8!
16 at NB is not tricked up, it is just a crap hole. The green is a total joke.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So many courses to choose from in East Lothian but the Glen in North Berwick is a good shout and often overlooked in favour of the usual suspects, Gullane etc...
Glen, apart from the first hole is good fun but not worth what they are charging these days.

peld

Visit site
The Glen has some wonderful views but its a very average course. Not worth the drive out from Edinburgh by itself.

Hugh74

Visit site
The Glen has some wonderful views but its a very average course. Not worth the drive out from Edinburgh by itself.

For the views its stunning and while some holes are good yes other are pretty average. I'm a member so prob a bit biased. Enjoy your trip whatever courses you play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tbh if I was going so close to some of the finest links courses in the world I'd be pushing the boat out and playing a couple of them.

Though i used to live in Edinburgh, it was before I took up the game, there are lots of courses around the town. Only played Dalmahoy, Mortonhall, Bruntsfield and Royal Burgess, I wouldn't play any of those over a links.

Last edited:

Brads

Visit site
I eat at Craigielaw a lot :). Lovely place , but Kilspindie next door is a stunning wee course. Members there will tell you the soil on Craigielaw isn’t as good.
Tbh any course between Longniddry and Dunbar is going to please you. Just pick the price bracket that suits.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Members there will tell you the soil on Craigielaw isn’t as good.
Not unreasonble, as Kilspindie has been a golf course for over 150 years compared to C'law's 20 after previous use to grow spuds!
The land (at least) of both of them is owned by the Earl of Weymss, as is Longniddry and the entire town! Aparently, both courses were meant to be based at Kilspindie, with C'law starting from what is now its 7th, but planning, quite reasonably imo, rejected that plan. A redesign of the course - to the current one - would have had to have been done. It turned out rather well imo! Great practice facilities too!

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I like Craigielaw. It’s more of a modern rather than traditional links but very enjoyable. Lots of folk moan about the greens but that’s the modern style for championship courses, I think. They’re large, with clear sections to them and run off areas. Need to think about going for the right part of the green rather than just getting anywhere on the dance floor or you risk 3 putting.
Hitting any green, anywhere puts me at risk of three putting.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
For the views its stunning and while some holes are good yes other are pretty average. I'm a member so prob a bit biased. Enjoy your trip whatever courses you play.

We played it last year, absolutely loved it. I suspect that the sunshine and lack of wind contributed to the feel good factor.

AliMc

Visit site
Tbh if I was going so close to some of the finest links courses instead world I'd be pushing the boat out and playing a couple of them.

Though i used to live in Edinburgh, it was before I took up the game, there are lots of courses around the town. Only played Dalmahoy, Mortonhall, Bruntsfield and Royal Burgess, I wouldn't play any of those over a links.
Add Duddingston and maybe Ratho Park to your list and for me anyway you've got most of the courses worth playing in and around Edinburgh, but as you say play any of them over a links such as Gullane 1 or 2, North Berwick, Dunbar or Luffness to name just a few Nah not for me but hey ho everyone's different ?

AliMc

Visit site
Craigielaw is not well liked around here. Tricked up greens spoil the course for me.
Kilspindie next door is a gem of a course. Short, but full of character.
The lodge at Craigielaw is a lovely place to stay unless you want to be in Edinburgh of course.
The first part of your post is pretty accurate, if I had a £ etc for the number of people who have said 'I've played it once but wouldn't bother going back' it's been about Craigielaw.
If maybe only 6 or so of the greens were like upturned saucers and the rest a bit more 'normal' it would be better but some of them are just ridiculous
I've played it a fair bit as a guest of my mate who's a member but he got into Dunbar last year and is giving up Craigielaw at the end of March, (the subs are over £400 more than Dunbar), was always good to have a game there but can't say I'll miss it too much

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Pushing my trolley up the hill to the 1st green nearly killed me! Other than that, enjoyed it even if it was blowing a gale the day we played it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't see it as a links, just like the Glen or Longniddry are not links courses.
There's a 2 or 3 very linksy holes on the back 9 of Longniddry though, but I'd never consider it a links course. Home of my first Hole-in-one (13th) - with nobody in the bar to celebrate with, save my opponent!

AliMc

Visit site
The front 9 is the worst 9 holes I've ever played.
Lovely views on the back 9.
Holes 1,2,7,8 and 9 at Winterfield are decent enough but the stretch from 3 to 6 are featureless, if your not 1 or 2 under for these you feel as if you have dropped a couple of shots

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
OP - some good discounts if your club is in the James Braid society.

We played Dunbar, The Glen and Royal Musselburgh 2 years ago, and got them a good bit cheaper than the normal green fees.