Dunaverty Golf Club - Hypocrisy or are they correct?

howlsatthemoon

Visit site
There is an on going discussion on the Golf Courses of Scotland Facebook page about this post from Dunaverty Golf Club, with various opinions being discussed. Just wondering what forum members thoughts are on this?
dun.jpg
My opinion is parking on fairway a no-no but sledging on the course I have no problem with as long as they stay off the greens.

What does worry me is the threat that they are going to call the police on people who travel to play in the snow but are going to welcome with open arms anyone who travels to play golf.

Link to the discussion on Golf Courses of Scotland Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/149...93923918299&reply_comment_id=2530511863916505

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with KenL on this. They are not stopping people from going on the course, just asking them to no do something which may damage it. Sledges, when the snow thins out can definitely rip through the grass. Very reasonable to defend their course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it damages the fairway why should they not ban sledging?? Well within their rights. How can anyone disagree with that? The fact that they've had to write this strongly worded post just suggests to mean that they've already experienced some damage.

D

Deleted Member 1156

How do you get people to stay off the greens? A lot will be non golfers that do not understand the damage they could potentially do. Report them to the police.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How are the general public supposed to know the difference between a green and a fairway when it's covered in snow? There was a pram and a group of 5 having a snowball fight on our 18th green on Sunday, annoying but not really their fault.

If it's private land it's easy, no sledging allowed on the course, can't see what's wrong with protecting their golf course.
There would be a flag in it. Pretty dumb if they don't understand that. :LOL: But yeah, a lot of the slopes might be towards a green and they probably wouldn't care so there's definitely a need to ban them.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People sledge on our 16th Green when ever it snows. It's annoying, and it does do some damage, but it recovers quickly enough. People gave sledged here for years, and even if a green keeper stands there all day saying no, he would just be ignored.
Normal non golfing People don't give a stuff about greens, pin in or not.

People were sledging at The Grove over the last two days. Luckily for them, the best slopes don't really affect the golf course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Isn't there something in Scotland about public access to golf courses?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Depends on land ownership. Many courses in Scotland are on public land. If this is the case then you cant stop the sledgers

Also depends on snow coverage.

Course could have had a public relations coup if it put up a sign saying 'slopes open' if there was a good deep covering. And 'Slopes closed' if its a light dusting...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Firstly, they are well within their rights to protect their property. Whilst I stand to be corrected by those from north of the border as to whether rights to roam have any bearing, they should be able to say who does or doesn't access the course.

The other issue with this would be the H & S issue. How long before someone tries it on one of their bigger hills, injures themselves & then tries to sue the club? At least this way they have made it absolutely clear that they would be acting in contravention of the club's instructions.

100% with the club on this.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
There would be a flag in it. Pretty dumb if they don't understand that. :LOL: But yeah, a lot of the slopes might be towards a green and they probably wouldn't care so there's definitely a need to ban them.
All our flags are taken out during lockdown as it makes the greens staff jobs easier ;). With the club 100%

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's private land, they're entitled to have a 'no sledges' rule and I think they should.

However, their suggestion that they would call the police because it's "non-essential travel" hasn't really been thought through. Getting in your car to go sledging is just as essential as getting in your car to go and play golf.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hard to stop them , we have the same problem at our 16th every time it snows.
Fortunately it's down hill away from the green, and doesn't cause much damage, we should probably start charging them and sell tickets :D.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Looks like the main complaint from the club is folk driving/parking directly on the course and they imply there’s not enough snow to sledge without direct damage to the course

You’d imagine its not the first year its been used for winter recreation but its maybe the first for some time where its been used when there’s not quite enough snow
(you'd also assume these are all local folks that know full well the course boundaries)

Seems the right to roam may not apply either

What is not covered by the right to roam? While the access rights may appear to be very extensive, they are subject to many restrictions. Land over which statutory access rights cannot be exercised includes:

land that has been developed as a sports or playing field, or for a particular recreational purpose;

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
How are the general public supposed to know the difference between a green and a fairway when it's covered in snow? There was a pram and a group of 5 having a snowball fight on our 18th green on Sunday, annoying but not really their fault.

If it's private land it's easy, no sledging allowed on the course, can't see what's wrong with protecting their golf course.
Exactly, Would they like it it I went sledging on their front lawn, No! of course not, Keep off private land

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Good for them. To read this you'd think it's just golf being golf but this place is amazing and so far removed from most clubs. Went there once on the back of a trip to Machrihanish and there was an honesty box as, at the time, there wasn't an office/pro to collect fees. Is perfect for an add-on round to the other two courses nearby

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't there something in Scotland about public access to golf courses?

Yes, the Land Reform Act / Outdoor Access Code clearly states Golf Courses as places where access rights do not apply. Specifically:

“You can only exercise access rights to cross over a golf course and in doing so, you must keep off golf greens at all times and not interfere with any golf games or damage the playing surface.”

Dunaverty are well within their rights and could go further if they chose to. I’m more surprised they don’t appear to know this to be honest.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like the main complaint from the club is folk driving/parking directly on the course and they imply there’s not enough snow to sledge without direct damage to the course

You’d imagine its not the first year its been used for winter recreation but its maybe the first for some time where its been used when there’s not quite enough snow
(you'd also assume these are all local folks that know full well the course boundaries)

Seems the right to roam may not apply either

What is not covered by the right to roam? While the access rights may appear to be very extensive, they are subject to many restrictions. Land over which statutory access rights cannot be exercised includes:

land that has been developed as a sports or playing field, or for a particular recreational purpose;

It's the Mull of Kintyre - as close to exactly as you can get - so while I'm sure there have been people sledging on the course over the years it certainly isn't a regular occurrence. It's probably a good eight years since there was anything like enough snow to go sledging down here.

I think they posted pictures earlier in the weekend about the course being covered in snow. I'd imagine the pretty pictures would've planted the sledging seed in many people's minds, unfortunately.

As to an allegation of hypocrisy, if "inviting" golfers to play the course was going to do the potential damage that sledging would then fair enough but since both golf and reasonable travel for exercise are currently permitted I don't see any issue with them welcoming visitors (in the purest golfing sense of non members rather than people travelling to the area).