Dryish Course in the Midlands

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
On a similar vein to an earlier post, any recommendations for a dryish midlands course that we may be able to play over the next few days? Based in the Solihull area our own course has been closed for the past two weeks so golf-hungry. We played Widney Manor yesterday and fair play to them for being open but really a quagmire.

D

Deleted member 18588

Most of the Midlands sits on clay so there are few, if any, courses that will be dryish.

And any that are will, at this time of the year most likely be members only.

Anyway with the weather the way it is who in their right mind would want to be out there?

D

Deleted member 18588

When has anyone golf mad ever been in their right mind???
????

I have to admit that I was speaking as one who puts his cubs away on the 1st December and doesn’t dig them out again until 1st February at the earliest.

Reckon I can get enough golf in half decent conditions during the other ten months to not miss the mud.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
On a similar vein to an earlier post, any recommendations for a dryish midlands course that we may be able to play over the next few days? Based in the Solihull area our own course has been closed for the past two weeks so golf-hungry. We played Widney Manor yesterday and fair play to them for being open but really a quagmire.

North Warwickshire in Meriden, Solihull, I'm a member and it's like playing in August still based on a quarry. downside members only as 70 joined in December and fresh waiting list to get in. so busy busy (one wet green in a low point 7, yet to wash my waterproofs since October STUNNED! worth a call still might slip you in.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
North Warwickshire in Meriden, Solihull, I'm a member and it's like playing in August still based on a quarry. downside members only as 70 joined in December and fresh waiting list to get in. so busy busy (one wet green in a low point 7, yet to wash my waterproofs since October STUNNED! worth a call still might slip you in.
Good call thanks. I'll try there some time this week when its's a bit dryer

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I grew up in Stourbridge and was a junior member at Stourbridge and Hagley. Always remember Stourbridge draining very well and being dry underfoot when hagley was muddy

D

Deleted member 1147

You basically need to head toward the heathland courses (Sherwood, Hollinwell etc)
They’ll be most likely to be dry/open

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Widney Manor, West Midlands GC, Stonebridge and Windmill already have lots of water so don't drain well, but those in the Sutton Park and Cannock Chase area probably better.
P&P at Boldmere is likely to be open but a bit wet, but private and more pricey Sutton Coldfield may be okay.
P&P at Cannock Park drains well. Give them a ring.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I grew up in Stourbridge and was a junior member at Stourbridge and Hagley. Always remember Stourbridge draining very well and being dry underfoot when hagley was muddy

Absolutely correct. My eldest son is a member at Hagley and it hasn't changed that much. It has improved over the last few years but can't deal with the amount rain and snow that has come down in the last few weeks - even though it is at the top of a hill.
It's all down the the soil.