Dropping off a path

KenL

Tour Rookie
How did your watch know how far it was to the pin?

To me it sounds like your club should consider a drop zone if people regularly end up on the path. A drop zone can be nearer the hole than the path.

Look around when you're playing next time. All these guys you think must be obsessed with constantly knowing what time it is are actually looking at their GPS golf watch which tells them the distance to the green.
Yes, I know he was wanting a distance but a watch doesn't tell you precisely how far you are from the PIN.
Appears he was using that to ensure he was dropping not closer to the hole.

Yes, I know he was wanting a distance but a watch doesn't tell you precisely how far you are from the PIN.
Appears he was using that to ensure he was dropping not closer to the hole.
Got you. There can be quite a discrepancy between actual pin position and centre of green. Not that it makes any difference to my golf given that getting the ball on any part of the green is the best I can hope for, but for checking not nearer the hole it would.

My cheeky suggestion that you might be wondering why so many people were wanting to know what the time was, I confess, based on my wondering exactly that for a period before I found out about GPS watches. :oops:

Thread starter #29

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Didn't know that was a thing.
Wonder what @Tashyboy did?
I did use my watch to check I was moving further away from the pin rather than just think this will do or it looks about right. As mentioned the thread has been enlightening and educating ( for me ). I need to see said PP and mention he was correct in his nearest relief assessment. The odd thing was my wrong knowledge of a free drop from the nearest side of a path came from a golfer who told me the (wrong) ruling years ago. Again another PP who with played in our 3 ball wrongy agreed with me. 😳

I did use my watch to check I was moving further away from the pin rather than just think this will do or it looks about right. As mentioned the thread has been enlightening and educating ( for me ). I need to see said PP and mention he was correct in his nearest relief assessment. The odd thing was my wrong knowledge of a free drop from the nearest side of a path came from a golfer who told me the (wrong) ruling years ago. Again another PP who with played in our 3 ball wrongy agreed with me. 😳
Be very wary of trusting a random golfer's rules advice - it always pays to verify later from an RB written source if not convenient to do so during the round.

Thread starter #31

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Be very wary of trusting a random golfer's rules advice - it always pays to verify later from an RB written source if not convenient to do so during the round.
To be honest SL that’s one of the reasons I questioned it in the first place. A PP had a different view on the ruling so I thought one of us is wrong. Every day is a school day.