Dropping off a path

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How did your watch know how far it was to the pin?

To me it sounds like your club should consider a drop zone if people regularly end up on the path. A drop zone can be nearer the hole than the path.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did your watch know how far it was to the pin?

Look around when you're playing next time. All these guys you think must be obsessed with constantly knowing what time it is are actually looking at their GPS golf watch which tells them the distance to the green.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Look around when you're playing next time. All these guys you think must be obsessed with constantly knowing what time it is are actually looking at their GPS golf watch which tells them the distance to the green.

Yes, I know he was wanting a distance but a watch doesn't tell you precisely how far you are from the PIN.
Appears he was using that to ensure he was dropping not closer to the hole.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, I know he was wanting a distance but a watch doesn't tell you precisely how far you are from the PIN.

Got you. There can be quite a discrepancy between actual pin position and centre of green. Not that it makes any difference to my golf given that getting the ball on any part of the green is the best I can hope for, but for checking not nearer the hole it would.

My cheeky suggestion that you might be wondering why so many people were wanting to know what the time was, I confess, based on my wondering exactly that for a period before I found out about GPS watches. :oops:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It does if you have input the pin location.

salfordlad

Visit site
Watches are not sufficiently accurate to do that when you are dealing in inches or a foot or two.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Didn't know that was a thing.
Wonder what @Tashyboy did?
I did use my watch to check I was moving further away from the pin rather than just think this will do or it looks about right. As mentioned the thread has been enlightening and educating ( for me ). I need to see said PP and mention he was correct in his nearest relief assessment. The odd thing was my wrong knowledge of a free drop from the nearest side of a path came from a golfer who told me the (wrong) ruling years ago. Again another PP who with played in our 3 ball wrongy agreed with me. ?

salfordlad

Visit site
I did use my watch to check I was moving further away from the pin rather than just think this will do or it looks about right. As mentioned the thread has been enlightening and educating ( for me ). I need to see said PP and mention he was correct in his nearest relief assessment. The odd thing was my wrong knowledge of a free drop from the nearest side of a path came from a golfer who told me the (wrong) ruling years ago. Again another PP who with played in our 3 ball wrongy agreed with me. ?
Be very wary of trusting a random golfer's rules advice - it always pays to verify later from an RB written source if not convenient to do so during the round.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Be very wary of trusting a random golfer's rules advice - it always pays to verify later from an RB written source if not convenient to do so during the round.
To be honest SL that’s one of the reasons I questioned it in the first place. A PP had a different view on the ruling so I thought one of us is wrong. Every day is a school day.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Here’s me thinking the answer to me question is done and dusted but apparently not, or may not.
I played today in a fourball and one of the PPs was the guy who agreed with me where to drop the ball.We we’re both wrong and I informed him of that. Then a PP dropped a curveball in. He said “ the hedgerow is OOB so I couldn’t drop in there”. That I didn’t know and another PP ( an ex club captain) confirmed it was. I Asked where the OOB Line starts. EG where the path meets the hedgerow, the middle of the hedgerow or the other side of the hedgerow which is actually the par three course for our club. The club captain said” actually I don’t really know, but I have played out of the hedge bottom before. He said “ I will find out though”.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I Asked where the OOB Line starts. EG where the path meets the hedgerow, the middle of the hedgerow or the other side of the hedgerow which is actually the par three course for our club. The club captain said” actually I don’t really know, but I have played out of the hedge bottom before. He said “ I will find out though”.
The lack of clarity about where the course boundary runs is totally unsatisfactory. Even worse is that this part of the alleged boundary is so close to being in play but nobody knows where the boundary is.

Committee Procedures 5B(1)
Out of Bounds
The Committee is responsible for ensuring that all boundaries are marked properly. ...... The Local Rules should clarify any boundaries that are defined in any manner other than stakes or fences (see Model Local Rule A-1).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here’s me thinking the answer to me question is done and dusted but apparently not, or may not.
I played today in a fourball and one of the PPs was the guy who agreed with me where to drop the ball.We we’re both wrong and I informed him of that. Then a PP dropped a curveball in. He said “ the hedgerow is OOB so I couldn’t drop in there”. That I didn’t know and another PP ( an ex club captain) confirmed it was. I Asked where the OOB Line starts. EG where the path meets the hedgerow, the middle of the hedgerow or the other side of the hedgerow which is actually the par three course for our club. The club captain said” actually I don’t really know, but I have played out of the hedge bottom before. He said “ I will find out though”.
It depends on how the club describes the margin in their notice or local rule.

This is from one County's Hard Card

Out of Bounds (Rule 18)
a. Beyond any wall, fence, hedge or line of white stakes defining the boundary of the course. Where the out of bounds is defined by a hedge the boundary line is deemed to be the inside line of the hedge trunks at ground level.

I think this is similar to one England Golf used to use. It's no longer on their Hard Card presumably because they get the hosting club to white line everything.

Last edited: