Driving

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a relatively new beginner player. Seen some improvement with irons, putting game is at a reasonable level for how long I've been playing, but can't seem to get on with a driver or FW at all. Booked in for some lessons to try and correct it, but thinking the members here might be able to give some advice.

Most of the time when I use my driver, I hit a slice and the ball goes further to the right than it does forward. When I do manage to hit one straight it really doesn't have much distance.

Went to the range tonight, with some masking tape over the club face of both driver and FW, and noticed I'm striking the ball right at the back of the club head, very close to the shaft of the club.

Has anyone had a similar problem? And if you did how did you correct it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd wait for the pro to watch you hit a few. Guaranteed he'll suss it in seconds and give you a drill for your swing to sort it. I'm sure there will be some far better golfers than me to advise. If you want top advice film the swing down the line and ask Bob our resident pro to help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a relatively new beginner player. Seen some improvement with irons, putting game is at a reasonable level for how long I've been playing, but can't seem to get on with a driver or FW at all. Booked in for some lessons to try and correct it, but thinking the members here might be able to give some advice.

Most of the time when I use my driver, I hit a slice and the ball goes further to the right than it does forward. When I do manage to hit one straight it really doesn't have much distance.

Went to the range tonight, with some masking tape over the club face of both driver and FW, and noticed I'm striking the ball right at the back of the club head, very close to the shaft of the club.

Has anyone had a similar problem? And if you did how did you correct it?

When it goes right does it also go very high?

Do you ever hit the ball low left?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Shorten your backswing (and then shorten it some more, because you're probably still swinging it way further back than you think). Slow it down as well. You get a lot of power from the club being long and low lofted. I know everyone is talking about club head speed, and that is nice, but finding the middle of the club is going to help you way more than a few extra mph of speed. You really don't have to smash it hard, especially when you are just beginning. Try to hit a few drives which feel more like long chip shots, just concentrating on making good contact with the ball. You'll be surprised how far and straight you can hit it that way.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have no idea how fast that you swing, but a common fault that I often drift back to is trying to hit the ball too hard. It would be worth trying to hit a few with a slower swing and see how you get on.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
MUST wait for pro anything else is a guess and as another poster said, he/she will suss in seconds.

I'm willing to wager tho - new golfer - hitting big slice - coming over the top (out to in swing pattern). Look these terms up if your unsure of them.....BUT don't assume this is right - your pro will tell you in minutes.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like your coming over the top if it’s going high and right I used to do this when I started playing your doing the right things having lessons the pro will sort you out

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
MUST wait for pro anything else is a guess and as another poster said, he/she will suss in seconds.

I'm willing to wager tho - new golfer - hitting big slice - coming over the top (out to in swing pattern). Look these terms up if your unsure of them.....BUT don't assume this is right - your pro will tell you in minutes.

The clubface will likely be open at impact so the grip could be suspect.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shorten your backswing (and then shorten it some more, because you're probably still swinging it way further back than you think). Slow it down as well. You get a lot of power from the club being long and low lofted. I know everyone is talking about club head speed, and that is nice, but finding the middle of the club is going to help you way more than a few extra mph of speed. You really don't have to smash it hard, especially when you are just beginning. Try to hit a few drives which feel more like long chip shots, just concentrating on making good contact with the ball. You'll be surprised how far and straight you can hit it that way.

This is something I need to remember for myself. Sound comments (y)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
It could be many things, all of which a lesson with the Pro would sort out. In no particular order:-
  1. Coming over the top
  2. Dodgy grip
  3. open club face
  4. Not enough body turn
  5. swing using to much arms
  6. not getting weight onto left on swing
  7. leaning back on swing, see point 6
  8. no release
  9. Standing to close to the ball
All of, some of the above are linked, you may fix one and exacerbate another. As written above let a pro see you swing and let him give you direction.