Driver shaft fitting

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I'm Tempted to go for a driver fitting, but I'm also dubious to what gains have been made over the last few years.

Would you say that once fitted for a driver, the shaft should be similar for any driver head. Or do you find you get different results from different head and shaft combinations.

I was thinking of getting a fitting and then just purchase an older driver with the shaft that came out best.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm Tempted to go for a driver fitting, but I'm also dubious to what gains have been made over the last few years.

Would you say that once fitted for a driver, the shaft should be similar for any driver head. Or do you find you get different results from different head and shaft combinations.

I was thinking of getting a fitting and then just purchase an older driver with the shaft that came out best.
Same shaft two different heads will give different results.
But only marginally you might not even notice as long as the heads are similar in weight.
Just try get the one in your spec that preformed the best.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was fitted for the original epic about 5 years ago and never really felt comfortable with it.

I now have the original rogue with a completely different shaft (neither fitted) and it’s been like chalk and cheese

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Were you fitted for your current driver? If not, then you may see quite a gain from just getting the right set up. I had a fitting last week and went from an unfitted Callaway XR16 to a fitted Ping G425 and gained 15 yards and better flight and dispersion. The main difference was to loft up to 11.5 degrees to improve the launch angle to get the extra yards. The shaft was stock so no need to worry about that so set up is more important imo.

Teebs

Visit site
I went from a 2014 driver (Callaway Xhot2) custom fitted to a 2022 Rogue ST. The fitting for the Rogue took much less time but the results are outstanding, gained circa 25/30 yards and hitting more fairways than not.

I guess it depends on your current driver and how that performs...

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
My current driver is a Cobra FlyZ which is about 7 years old. It wasn't fitted and to be fair performs ok.

I was once fitted for a TM SLDR at the Belfy. I won this as part of a competition on another forum. The driver lasted about 2 weeks before going on eBay! Possibly the worst driver I've had. I would have been pretty annoyed if I had paid full price for it.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I was fitted for the original epic about 5 years ago and never really felt comfortable with it.

I now have the original rogue with a completely different shaft (neither fitted) and it’s been like chalk and cheese
So you were fitted for a driver which ended up not performing as you wanted. You then bought one without fitting which performs much better.

Sounds like a great advert for custom fitting!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you were fitted for a driver which ended up not performing as you wanted. You then bought one without fitting which performs much better.

Sounds like a great advert for custom fitting!
Custom fitting is only as good as your swing on the day.
How many times have you played well then the next day can’t hit a shot.
Just hope you have a fitting on the good day.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Custom fitting is only as good as your swing on the day.
How many times have you played well then the next day can’t hit a shot.
Just hope you have a fitting on the good day.
Here lies the problem with custom fitting. As handicap golfers most of us have different swings through a round nevermind on different days. Going for a fit and getting clubs from that 1 fit isn't really going to work for a lot of players. You should be able to go back a few times to make sure the clubs you get work best for your game.

Neeko1988

Visit site
Heads make just as much difference as the shaft, especially now a days with each manufacturer bringing out 2/3 different head styles such as a max forgiving, low spin, etc etc it’s about finding the best combo

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Heads make just as much difference as the shaft, especially now a days with each manufacturer bringing out 2/3 different head styles such as a max forgiving, low spin, etc etc it’s about finding the best combo
They all test out the same though.