driver fitting for new golfer

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi all. i'm just starting month 5 of golf. the strongest part of my game so far is 'driving' i have a FT-IQ regular shaft driver. so far i'm finding most TEE shots at 230-250

durring a lession my golf pro said i should get fitted for a driver. he's reasons where. i'm 6ft,5 and 17st and a reasonably fast swing and mentioned durring swing analysis that the shaft is bending too much and kicking too late resulting in loss of power and more importaintly, consistancy.

it was my first lesson with this guy. i'm not sure if this was a sales pitch or genuine. as i'm new to golf i seem to believe anything a salesman say's :cool:

any comments are welcome

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's possible that he's correct.... who knows how fast you swing a club??? We don't. Just because you are new to the game doesn't mean that you can't swing a club fast. I'd be tempted to try a mates club that has a stiff shaft.... although I happen to like the FT-iQ.

I assume it isn't the i-mix version where you can unscrew the shaft and put another one straight in?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He is probably correct. The R shaft in the FTIQ is pretty soft, and if you hit it 230-250, you might be losing control.

However, you have only been playing 5 months, and if fitted now, you might see further changes in your swing that mean you need another change in another 5 months time.

I would suggest letting your swing settle down a bit for a while, and then get fitted. Fitting is great, but only takes account of your swing on the day you get fitted.

It is like getting fitted for a suit when you are on a diet.