Drills / swing thoughts to encourage a more shallow swing

sunshine

Visit site
My swing can get too steep, caused by coming over the top a bit. It's fine for irons, I hit down on the ball with a crisp strike and low penetrating ball flight. It's terrible for woods and hybrids, as it's the complete opposite of the sweeping motion needed for good consistent ball striking.

Is there anything I can do (apart from seeing a pro) that will encourage me to shallow out the swing?

Thanks.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Search for the drills to stop coming over the top as a start....

And btw, a shallower AOA will deliver an even more penetrating ball flight with irons. Steep is only a benefit for buried bunker shots and buried in the rough.

sunshine

Visit site
Search for the drills to stop coming over the top as a start....

And btw, a shallower AOA will deliver an even more penetrating ball flight with irons. Steep is only a benefit for buried bunker shots and buried in the rough.

Thanks for the reply.

But I would have thought a shallower AoA would cause a higher ball flight?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The out to in swing path is tied in with the steep AOA.
Just being curious, where do you position the ball for your woods/hybrids, centre, back or forward in your stance?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you not say a shallow AOA would present more loft at impact than a steep AOA?
Yes if everything else is constant.
Then again loft is only one of the variables, and launch angle one of the elements that will contribute to the overall outcome.

sunshine

Visit site
The out to in swing path is tied in with the steep AOA.
Just being curious, where do you position the ball for your woods/hybrids, centre, back or forward in your stance?

Driver - just inside left heel. Then progressively moving more towards the centre through the back. With wedges I have best results when I position the ball quite far back and hit three quarter punch shots.

I don't think I have a severe out to in swing path as my stock shot is a draw.

sunshine

Visit site
That's strange.
To hit a draw, you need to be swinging in to out with the clubface closed a touch to the swing path.
That shallows out the swing.
I'm not sure how you can be in to out and steep :confused:

To be accurate the swing path is quite neutral (ie neither in to out or out to in). But technically must be coming a little from the inside otherwise I wouldn't be able to hit that baby draw. But defo steep.

sunshine

Visit site
I think we need to see a video of your swing to see what's going on, what you've said so far is confusing

Thanks for taking an interest, and offering to help!

I'm struggling with uploading a video on to the forum - doesn't seem to want to allow me.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can definitely hit draws from the inside with a steep shaft as I was in my lesson. Your hands get behind you on downswing, to make the inside angle of attack but my shaft is steeper than on the backswing.