Driver Swing Too Shallow: Thoughts/Fixes?

DrGolfer

Visit site
I naturally have a shallow swing and trajectory in to out which is great with irons / hybrids generating a slight draw by default.

However, during a recent lesson it turns out the same swing trend with driver is causing me to hit very lofty shots that are losing major distance.

Tip 1 was lower the tee and tip 2 was to try and steepen my driver swing. I was told to do a drill where I place the driver head cover behind and to the right of the ball and to avoid hitting it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any drills you would recommend?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the complete opposite problem. Hitting down on the ball being to steep.
Pro told me it comes from excessive hip slide towards the target.
You might try that .
Or a 4* driver loft ;)

DrGolfer

Visit site
I have the complete opposite problem. Hitting down on the ball being to steep.
Pro told me it comes from excessive hip slide towards the target.
You might try that .
Or a 4* driver loft ;)

Pro told me I’m definitely in the minority of people he deals with who have my problem haha

He now definitely doesn’t want me to fix it by purposely try to swing over the top but I’m literally losing 20-30 yards of distance with my driver for what should be my average.

On the range today it definitely made a difference occasionally hitting 250 yards (which I haven’t done before tbh) but I’m finding the drill really difficult to get right and still averaging 200-210 and way too much loft.

Practice makes perfect I suppose.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro told me I’m definitely in the minority of people he deals with who have my problem haha

He now definitely doesn’t want me to fix it by purposely try to swing over the top but I’m literally losing 20-30 yards of distance with my driver for what should be my average.

On the range today it definitely made a difference occasionally hitting 250 yards (which I haven’t done before tbh) but I’m finding the drill really difficult to get right and still averaging 200-210 and way too much loft.

Somewhere in the middle would suit us both!
Good luck with the change.
It’s very hard to change a natural swing ,but it can be done but will take time and effort.!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Was just about to post something when I saw this. Given the number of videos about fixing "over the top" and "early extension" swings I'm surprised more people aren't encouraged just to swing much shallower. I struggled with the above along with overswinging and getting beyond parallel at the top, and recently realised it was because of my steep swing. I shall owed it out a la Ben Hogan and solved all those issues in one swoop. It comes with other risks but I'd swap those in place of trying to do other things.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was just about to post something when I saw this. Given the number of videos about fixing "over the top" and "early extension" swings I'm surprised more people aren't encouraged just to swing much shallower. I struggled with the above along with overswinging and getting beyond parallel at the top, and recently realised it was because of my steep swing. I shall owed it out a la Ben Hogan and solved all those issues in one swoop. It comes with other risks but I'd swap those in place of trying to do other things.
It does indeed, the nice gentle draw can deliver a hook, and if overdone produce serious unmentionables. So much so for me that I have been working for two years to change my swing path from very Hoganesque and too strong in2out to out2in…and then I’ll have to change my forum name 👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Some might say it’s better to have a reasonably controlled and consistent 200-210 than an often uncontrolled and inconsistent 250…some might say👍😉

ThinBullet

Visit site
I naturally have a shallow swing and trajectory in to out which is great with irons / hybrids generating a slight draw by default.

However, during a recent lesson it turns out the same swing trend with driver is causing me to hit very lofty shots that are losing major distance.

Tip 1 was lower the tee and tip 2 was to try and steepen my driver swing. I was told to do a drill where I place the driver head cover behind and to the right of the ball and to avoid hitting it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any drills you would recommend?

When you say lofty shots, is it going straight then right and high? Or starting low, then rising high and dropping out the sky? It's quite important as the reason for the two can mean different delivery and impact locations.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It sounds like you are hitting it really nicely, a high draw is perfect. If you want more distance then maybe you are not generating enough swing speed. If this is the case you need to get a better earlier release.

Take a look at this video: