Help please, bad posture and movement throughout swing!

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
https://youtu.be/oVXxw-kOv5s

Hi all, filmed my swing for the first time today.....certainly an eye opener, slightly alarming and embarrassing also!!!

Any thoughts on the link attached? I can see I'm standing up at the top of the backswing, is this caused by overswing? Downswing also looks a mess, any tips or drills to improve?

For what it's worth, I'm a 12 handicapper but massively inconsistent and I'm really looking to improve consistency and ball striking.

Any help greatly appreciated.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://youtu.be/oVXxw-kOv5s

Hi all, filmed my swing for the first time today.....certainly an eye opener, slightly alarming and embarrassing also!!!

Any thoughts on the link attached? I can see I'm standing up at the top of the backswing, is this caused by overswing? Downswing also looks a mess, any tips or drills to improve?

For what it's worth, I'm a 12 handicapper but massively inconsistent and I'm really looking to improve consistency and ball striking.

Any help greatly appreciated.
The obvious thing I noticed (I am no expert) is you lose your posture angles in your backswing because you straighten your right leg at the top of your swing.

This leads to inconsistencies with the strike because you need to adjust in the downswing.

Try to maintain angles in your knees.
Look at set up and top of swing right leg position.
This upsets your balance and you need to compensate coming down.
You look a big lad and have a very long swing , watch some videos of Sandy Lyle 3/4 swing and try that.

Flying right elbow is very apparent but Nicklaus did ok with one of these.

posture at set up is good

( Have you been fitted for clubs).?

Just be careful on a forum as you can get so much advice that it can scramble your head.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This has been a long time problem for myself also. Trying to slow the whole thing down, and shorten the backswing is my basic cure base.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
The obvious thing I noticed (I am no expert) is you lose your posture angles in your backswing because you straighten your right leg at the top of your swing.

This leads to inconsistencies with the strike because you need to adjust in the downswing.

Try to maintain angles in your knees.
Look at set up and top of swing right leg position.
This upsets your balance and you need to compensate coming down.
You look a big lad and have a very long swing , watch some videos of Sandy Lyle 3/4 swing and try that.

Flying right elbow is very apparent but Nicklaus did ok with one of these.

posture at set up is good

( Have you been fitted for clubs).?

Just be careful on a forum as you can get so much advice that it can scramble your head.

Thanks for the feedback, the right knee and elbow is glaringly obvious once you point it out! I'll have a look online for some good drills to maintain the right knee flex as a starting point.

I have been fitted for irons several years ago, and I'm on the Ping yellow dot set up, so slightly longer and upright lie angle but would like to revisit this as swing has probably changed a thousand times since then. Probably worth a look after I can address some of the fundamental flaws in my swing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, the right knee and elbow is glaringly obvious once you point it out! I'll have a look online for some good drills to maintain the right knee flex as a starting point.

I have been fitted for irons several years ago, and I'm on the Ping yellow dot set up, so slightly longer and upright lie angle but would like to revisit this as swing has probably changed a thousand times since then. Probably worth a look after I can address some of the fundamental flaws in my swing.
Very simple one is a cheap pair of knee pads thet tradesmen wear , they are designed to slightly over the kneecap on the floor but when standing push into top of knee.
Worth a try.