Swing advice for in to out downswing

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
If any expert could help with my current situation please, it would be greatly appreciated.
Rather than blab on I'll try and summarise with bullet points:

- Golf appeared to be fairly straight-forward for me and I got down to 8 fairly quickly, playing to a 4-6 handicap for a while
- The unmentionables then arrived and have plagued me on and off (never fully off) since (5 years ago)
- Was a fader when I first took the game up but soon started drawing it and eventually couldn't hit a fade if I tried
- Handicap rising for 2 years. Confidence all time low. Lessons galore all saying same thing (coming over the top and swinging so far out to in)
- Recently started massively slicing and cannot hit a draw for love nor money (which I understand why with swing path)
- Shots are a huge slice, an unmentionable, or a low left
- Main swing flaw currently is throwing out to in at the top of backswing

Any advice please?
I've had lessons off some great people but my problem is always the same, in that I can fix it but never for long and it soon crops back in.
I feel I need a feeling to consistently and easily shallow the club on the downswing and drop it on the inside.

Any help would be brilliant please as I'm greatly missing the enjoyment of golf, the enjoyment of a soft draw and the enjoyment of a straight shot!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Place a long tee in the ground a foot behind the ball and about 2-3 inches inside the target to ball line. Be careful not to hit it on your backswing.
Then try and hit it on your downswing

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Place a long tee in the ground a foot behind the ball and about 2-3 inches inside the target to ball line. Be careful not to hit it on your backswing.
Then try and hit it on your downswing

Thanks Bob. Will give this a try this afternoon and report back on progress (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use a similar drill to that suggested by bobmac. I used a piece of foam lagging just outside the path. In that way if you hit it on the downswing there was no danger of injury.

As said in another thread big push slices can also come from poor/ mis timed weight transfer.

PS I used to be a left to right player on all shots and never hit a shank in my life until I decided to learn how to draw the ball.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to use a similar drill to that suggested by bobmac. I used a piece of foam lagging just outside the path. In that way if you hit it on the downswing there was no danger of injury.

As said in another thread big push slices can also come from poor/ mis timed weight transfer.

PS I used to be a left to right player on all shots and never hit a shank in my life until I decided to learn how to draw the ball.

That's interesting.
How would that be the case then? Toe shanks or still from coming over the top?

Bob - not had a chance to fully practice this yet and I will still report back with my results.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's interesting.
How would that be the case then? Toe shanks or still from coming over the top?

Bob - not had a chance to fully practice this yet and I will still report back with my results.

With me they probably come from trying to take the ball back too much on the inside and twisting the club face open, followed by not reclosing the club face and hitting the ball with the hosel or close to it.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
With me they probably come from trying to take the ball back too much on the inside and twisting the club face open, followed by not reclosing the club face and hitting the ball with the hosel or close to it.

I see. Seems to be a lot of ways to find the hosel!

Bob - thanks for your tip. It's going to require thousands of balls I think as I'm still struggling to get the 'feel' to do it.
I can actually clip the tee, and still go over the ball. Got better as the session went on though and that's my practice for now.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I see. Seems to be a lot of ways to find the hosel!

Bob - thanks for your tip. It's going to require thousands of balls I think as I'm still struggling to get the 'feel' to do it.
I can actually clip the tee, and still go over the ball. Got better as the session went on though and that's my practice for now.

Hi Bob. Doing this drill and hit hundreds already.
Got to say it’s helped and straightened me up a bit, but still can’t stop it with the driver.

Any tips for the big stick?
I cannot hit anything close to a draw with any club no matter what I do, despite this tip straightening up my irons a bit

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Bob. Doing this drill and hit hundreds already.
Got to say it’s helped and straightened me up a bit, but still can’t stop it with the driver.

Any tips for the big stick?
I cannot hit anything close to a draw with any club no matter what I do, despite this tip straightening up my irons a bit

Changing your swing path is a major change and will take time, patience and practice......lots of it.
Don't be in a hurry to hit the driver, stick with the irons for the time being and maybe a hybrid.
As I said, this is a major change and will probably take the rest of the year before its bedded in so be patient.

P.s.To hit a draw you need to be swinging in to out which is a long way from where you are now.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Changing your swing path is a major change and will take time, patience and practice......lots of it.
Don't be in a hurry to hit the driver, stick with the irons for the time being and maybe a hybrid.
As I said, this is a major change and will probably take the rest of the year before its bedded in so be patient.

P.s.To hit a draw you need to be swinging in to out which is a long way from where you are now.

Makes sense Bob.
Funnily enough, I've taken the driver out of the bag.

Really happy with the iron progress in a very short space of time, so I'll keep the driver to the practice ground for now.

Thanks for the reply and reassurance. I'll stick with the tee drill you gave.