Swing Update - 7 Months On

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So some of you may recall my swing videos I posted in October last year, here it is for reference:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?94617-The-Terrible-Swing-of-a-23-Handicapper

Since seeing those videos myself and reading people's comments, I've been working on keeping my back straighter for a better posture (the most frequent comment was that I was hunched over). I have also shortened my backswing, nobody told me to do that, but it was to improve my strike consistency, which it has done, and I don't feel I've lost any real distance. I've also got new irons since those videos which has certainly helped as they are simply better irons.

All that in mind, here's a new video from last week. I've only got down the line this time, not the side on, but hopefully it shows that my posture is a bit better. If I recall correctly this was a 6 iron.

[video=youtube_share;OvoyffwrUBo]https://youtu.be/OvoyffwrUBo[/video]

And yes I have put on weight, thanks to having a knackered ankle and liking food too much. :rofl: So, let me have it with both barrels, no need to hold back, you didn't last time. :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Posture is much better, well done.
Love the transition too with that little drop as you start down.

One thing you may want to look at is your wrist hinge (or lack of it).
Is that how you've shortened your backswing, by reducing your wrist hinge?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Posture is much better, well done.
Love the transition too with that little drop as you start down.

One thing you may want to look at is your wrist hinge (or lack of it).
Is that how you've shortened your backswing, by reducing your wrist hinge?
Well I'm not sure exactly, but that's probably the case. I feel that my strike has been more consistent since I've started doing that. Particularly on the 5 & 6 which I used to struggle with.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I'm not sure exactly, but that's probably the case. I feel that my strike has been more consistent since I've started doing that. Particularly on the 5 & 6 which I used to struggle with.

Would like to see a front view to see how much angle you've lost as that would reduce your potential ball speed/distance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would like to see a front view to see how much angle you've lost as that would reduce your potential ball speed/distance.
I know it should do, but I really haven't noticed any distance loss out on the course. My yardages per club are still seem to be the same. (Sorry we didn't video the other angle this time.)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not an expert, but I’m going to post anyway!

That’s a tidy looking swing. Something of the Bryson dechambeau about the set up position!

Something that might further help the experts give you advice is to upload your driver swing; I think the driver swing exaggerated issues that are there with every club.

Also, at your handicap, developing a solid tee shot which keeps the ball in play with decent distance will see your scores tumble.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not an expert, but I’m going to post anyway!

That’s a tidy looking swing. Something of the Bryson dechambeau about the set up position!

Something that might further help the experts give you advice is to upload your driver swing; I think the driver swing exaggerated issues that are there with every club.

Also, at your handicap, developing a solid tee shot which keeps the ball in play with decent distance will see your scores tumble.
Last year my driving was quite consistent and one of the best parts of my game. This year it's been up and down, I think it's partly because I sprained my right ankle in February, since which I've been a bit lazy in shifting weight forward - tendency to hang back on the trail foot to 'protect' the ankle maybe. I did make progress at the range the other night though, simply by widening the stance slightly. If I can get that back on track, I think you're right, I should be able to shoot in the 80s much more often. Best round this year was 86 at Richings Park (16 over par), so I know I've got a game in there somewhere when all goes well.

Maybe next time I'll take a driver video, but I don't actually go down the range that often usually.

Cheers for your thoughts. I have actually thought myself that my swing has something in common with Bryson's, so it's interesting you say that.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its the straight arm in line with the shaft look.

Any time I see that I notice a weak left hand with the grip running through the palm limiting the wrist hinge as bob pointed out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its the straight arm in line with the shaft look.

Any time I see that I notice a weak left hand with the grip running through the palm limiting the wrist hinge as bob pointed out.
My grip is kind of weird and made up to be fair. I don't even know if it's palm or not. I know it's a very strong grip though, and I overlap the wrong way (left forefinger on top of the right pinky). I don't even remember how or why I grip like that but it obviously stuck at some point many years ago.