drill required for helping with shoulder turn...

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having had a terrible round of golf at the weekend, i went out for an hour this morning on the practice area before coming into work. i worked on a few things, then it clicked. As well as my legs not being as stable as they should be (which i have commented on before), my main problems all became apparent when i suddenly got that feeling back - the one that i had some months ago - where my swing felt solid, and controlled. I had turned my upper body and arms as one solid unit. Both in the back swing and through to my finish position. I think i need to work on this major swing thought, at least for a few weeks until it becomes ingrained into my swing again.

So, apart from just standing there and thinking about it when i'm swinging, does anyone have a good drill that i can spend some time on through the next few weeks that concentrates on a full shoulder turn?

Any help is much appreciated.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Stretching excercises to increase your flexibility.
If your body isn't flexible, you won't be able to make a full turn comfortably.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The better I turn the better I hit the ball (direction as well as distance). I'm getting older and find I'm lazy at turning properly. I do work in the garden using a speed stik just turning and checking my posture in the patio door reflection. You could do this with any sort of club (shaft) or broom handle or something.
At the range, I do lots of turns as a warm up, either with the shaft behind my shoulders or across my chest with crossed arms.
I just do loads of it, either with or without a ball.

It's been working for me. I'm getting to 90+ degrees (shoulder turn) in the full swing and finally getting on the inside on the way down *some* of the time.

Keep thinking about it, take a few swings between balls when practising, it will come. :)

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
YIIIIPPPPEEEEEE... hit 100 balls at the range last night. Lots of stretching first and really concentrating on that shoulder turn. I've found out that it helps if i imagine rotating both my arms around the spine, rather than merely thinking about turning my shoulders.

Only hit around 4 or 5 duff shots out of 100 and was catching the ball really sweet again. Not saying every shot i hit was perfect, but I was soooooo happy at the range last night.

Thanks for all the help.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
YIIIIPPPPEEEEEE... hit 100 balls at the range last night. Lots of stretching first and really concentrating on that shoulder turn. I've found out that it helps if i imagine rotating both my arms around the spine, rather than merely thinking about turning my shoulders.

Only hit around 4 or 5 duff shots out of 100 and was catching the ball really sweet again. Not saying every shot i hit was perfect, but I was soooooo happy at the range last night.

Thanks for all the help.

Nice :)

B

birdieman

Keep that chin up at address - if you don't you can't turn shoulders properly.