Dress code for a Friday interview...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come on. You are saying that not wearing chinos and a polo shirt one day a week improved productivity and bonuses. I call complete and utter garbage on that. Did your bro' do nothing else that could explain improvements? Think what would have happened if everyone wore morning dress and top hats?

Im with Steve on this, I have worked in plenty of offices and dress down Friday's i have seen and been involved in, brings a more relaxed (Read slack) attitude to work, thats across the board. So much so, i used to work from home on Friday's at my last place as i couldn't get anything done for people messing about, taking 90 minute lunch hours, extra fag breaks etc etc etc.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Come on. You are saying that not wearing chinos and a polo shirt one day a week improved productivity and bonuses. I call complete and utter garbage on that. Did your bro' do nothing else that could explain improvements? Think what would have happened if everyone wore morning dress and top hats?

We have dress down Friday on the last of the month and it absolutely reduces my personal productivity. It's like last day at school where you're already in weekend mode. The whole office environment is more jolly and less professional. I would probably get rid if I was the boss too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have smart casual so I usually where a plain golf shirt and jumper and some plain golf trousers. Saves the need to change before going to the club or the range. Will only wear suit and tie if I'm doing interviews or assessment centres

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There may be work places where people work harder if they wear a suit. I am glad I don't work in one of those, and if I saw a candidate who told me that was the case with them, I wouldn't hire them. Some of the most profitable and productive workplaces in the world have people who have barely ever seen a suit, let alone wear one each day. It is ridiculous to imagine that simply making people wear a suit results in any durable increase in productivity, unless the people are some sort of Pavlovian automatons. If that was the case, up the ante to a dress suit and top hat and do even better.

The issue with a dress down day once a month is that it marks out the day as different, like a mini-holiday or a break before Christmas. It is therefore not surprising that people take it a bit easy then. But if you have a workplace where people dress appropriately for client facing activities and dress in business casual otherwise, then the same should not apply.

DCB

Visit site
The thing that I can't quite get is did the interviewer (the OP) carry out the interview in normal "dress down Friday" attire or was he suited and booted ?

It wouldn't matter which day the interview was on, I'd have expected the interview panel to be "suited and booted"

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The thing that I can't quite get is did the interviewer (the OP) carry out the interview in normal "dress down Friday" attire or was he suited and booted ?

It wouldn't matter which day the interview was on, I'd have expected the interview panel to be "suited and booted"

We do a dress down Friday, and its noticeable how relaxed people's attitudes are to work - lazy bu99ers!:D

Coincidently, I'll be interviewing this Friday but will still be suited. If I wasn't, I'd be shirt w/o a tie.

V

vkurup

We were not suited & booted... but suit without a tie (not a blazer et al)... It is almost a norm that we end up in office without a tie on. If I am meeting a client then I will get the spare tie in the office locker or in the bag. However, as in the glorious trade of IT, you end up working with the coal face who dont wear ties and I will ditch the tie too, but if I am meeting the client's big cheese then the tie comes back on. It is about making a judgement call and knowing what impression you want to leave.

Back to the interview, I would not dream of going to a formal interview without a tie on. If the interviewer is well know to me and is having an 'exploratory chat' at the local, then I will ditch the tie.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was interviewed last Friday at a company that has dress down Friday. I was suited and booted and it made me feel a lot more laid back but confident also as I looked smart.

Even had I known previously that they had dress down Friday's I'd have still wore a suit. It's an interview and first impressions count!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was interviewed last Friday at a company that has dress down Friday. I was suited and booted and it made me feel a lot more laid back but confident also as I looked smart.

Even had I known previously that they had dress down Friday's I'd have still wore a suit. It's an interview and first impressions count!

That would be me - I think being 'suited and booted' puts me in the right state-of-mind for an interview. I don't want to be too relaxed.

V

vkurup

Grogger.. hopefully we did not interview you :rofl:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

I doubt he got the gig solely on the back of a "I'll do away with dress down Friday" ticket... So, I suspect there were other measures he instigated on his appointment... As he saw it allowing a relaxed attitude to 'dress code' one day a week is an invitation to permitting a relaxed attitude to work ethic... The week end, I believe, starts at 5pm not 9am of a Friday...

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
We were not suited & booted... but suit without a tie (not a blazer et al)... It is almost a norm that we end up in office without a tie on. If I am meeting a client then I will get the spare tie in the office locker or in the bag. However, as in the glorious trade of IT, you end up working with the coal face who dont wear ties and I will ditch the tie too, but if I am meeting the client's big cheese then the tie comes back on. It is about making a judgement call and knowing what impression you want to leave.

Back to the interview, I would not dream of going to a formal interview without a tie on. If the interviewer is well know to me and is having an 'exploratory chat' at the local, then I will ditch the tie.

Where are you hiring and can I apply? :)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt he got the gig solely on the back of a "I'll do away with dress down Friday" ticket... So, I suspect there were other measures he instigated on his appointment... As he saw it allowing a relaxed attitude to 'dress code' one day a week is an invitation to permitting a relaxed attitude to work ethic... The week end, I believe, starts at 5pm not 9am of a Friday...

Well, he said that bro' came in, banned DDF and productivity shot up. He linked the two, not me. I would also love to hear the other measures taken.

I strongly dispute the idea that a relaxed attitude to dress results in a relaxed attitude to work, especially if the relaxed dress code is the norm not a rare treat.