DQ'd from Competition under rule 3.3b

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of good reasons were giving for not taking my advice. But strokes given/received in a match isn't a playing handicap and so that wasn't one of them. ;)

I must say, though, that I've never written down the number of strokes I'm getting or giving in a match. I just circle the SI of the holes where the strokes occur. Which hasn't much to do with anything.

Most matches I have played in have been club ones. The captains normally prepare cards for each individual match with strokes recd already written in the appropriate box.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Most matches I have played in have been club ones. The captains normally prepare cards for each individual match with strokes recd already written in the appropriate box.
Cards in match play? What is that about? Where is the player responsibility (Rule 3.2c)?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cards in match play? What is that about? Where is the player responsibility (Rule 3.2c)?

The players have the responsibility to check what the 2 Captains have written.

We have a recent incident where one captain wanted to calculate the allowance in 4 ball on way which was wrong which lead to a bit of an argument between two opposing players.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was one of the aims of the WHS to make the new h/cap system easy to understand and implement ?

I don't recollect that as a stated aim, but don't be misled by a conversation like this. The system is easy enough to use. Know your handicap index. Turn up to play and find out your course handicap from a chart or an app.

Stroke play? Write your course handicap on the card, agree your score at each hole with your marker, check at the end that he's recorded it correctly. Get his signature and sign card yourself. Return your score and find out next day if your handicap index has changed. Nothing new to learn there.

Singles match play? Know your handicap index. Turn up to play and find out your course handicap from a chart or an app. Subtract lower from higher to get the number of strokes given/received. No card required. Nothing new to learn there.

Foursomes, four-ball, scrambles etc? Bit of arithmetic to be done but little need to do any sums in your head. Nothing new to learn there.

Enjoy your golf untrammelled by any thoughts of how the system actually works. You don't need to know how the engine works to drive a car.

tobybarker

Visit site
It's fair to argue though (in a friendly way) if we think the rules are dumb.... It won't change them but part of being in a free country (ish) is that we can air views. I for one don't see any sense in having to put any sort of HCP on a card. It serves literally no purpose of computers are anywhere in the loop.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I for one don't see any sense in having to put any sort of HCP on a card. It serves literally no purpose of computers are anywhere in the loop.

When marking a card in a Stableford it tells you how many points to write down. Unless you've moved to only recording gross scores... which inhibits picking up when you can't score.;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

We get given a card in our Vets league games against other clubs. The good thing is that it gives the names of our opponents which are easily forgotten, the number of shots is on there and, when away, we know who gets shots and where. There is no need to fill the card in though!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was one of the aims of the WHS to make the new h/cap system easy to understand and implement ?

It is as easy to understand (and probably) easier than the UHS. One of the big advantages over the UHS is that with all the 'advertising' and club information sheets etc more people probably understand it compared to the UHS.

How many players do you think read or were briefed on how the UHS worked?

tobybarker

Visit site
When marking a card in a Stableford it tells you how many points to write down. Unless you've moved to only recording gross scores... which inhibits picking up when you can't score.;)
That's useful FOR THE PLAYER not the HCP committee or scorers. But yes.

NearHull

Visit site
Nobody around these parts uses a card in match play..... Ironically the only time you NEED to know the handicaps....
I use a card to record + or - . It has saved some ‘ lively discussions’ on what the score actually is.

played in Seniors 4BB match last week where the home captain incorrectly briefed the 90% rule. That then involved some more ‘lively discussions’ before the teams agreed to follow the mandatory allowance calculations.

tobybarker

Visit site
played in Seniors 4BB match last week where the home captain incorrectly briefed the 90% rule. That then involved some more ‘lively discussions’ before the teams agreed to follow the mandatory allowance calculations.

Did the captain try to use the old method of 90 percent of the differences?