DQ Late teeing off

badgergm

Visit site
Couple of questions here:

1. If Committee wrongly informs a late starter ( > 5 mins) that a penalty of 2 strokes is to be applied (as opposed to DQ), can that later be corrected (post round before competition closes) to DQ? Must it be corrected?

2. Is a local rule permissible which allows late starting (no penalty or 2 shot penalty), or players to amend tee times on the day of competition?

Thanks

Steven Rules

Visit site
1. Yes. Rule 20 2d

2. Pt 1. No. Changing the penalty would be an unauthorised local rule. See Rule 1.3c(3) and Committee Procedures 8L.

2. Pt 2. Possibly. Committee Procedures 5F(2) opens the way for players to set their own start times.

5F(2) Starting Times and Playing Groups
The Committee can set the starting times and groups or allow the players to set their own.
When the Committee allows players to set their own starting time, it has the same status as a starting time set by the Committee (see Rule 5.3a).

Last edited:

badgergm

Visit site
Thanks for response. Just to clarify:

1. Is that 'Yes' to "can" or "Yes" to "must" or "Yes" to both?

2. Does the player setting their own start times not just mean that players can book themselves onto a start sheet (as opposed to a drawn competition) rather than allowing them to amend their own times on the day? Or could that be allowed under terms of competition?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Thanks for response. Just to clarify:

1. Is that 'Yes' to "can" or "Yes" to "must" or "Yes" to both?
Yes - must.

20.2d
When Wrong Rulings Will Be Corrected
If a ruling by a referee or the Committee is later found to be wrong:
*The ruling will be corrected if possible under the Rules.
*If it is too late to do so, the wrong ruling stands.

Steven Rules

Visit site
2. Does the player setting their own start times not just mean that players can book themselves onto a start sheet (as opposed to a drawn competition) rather than allowing them to amend their own times on the day? Or could that be allowed under terms of competition?
In my opinion - and I'm very open to different views from others - it should/could be covered in the terms of the competition or even more broadly than that in broader club policies. For some competitions it will be appropriate for the committee to allocate starting times. For other competitions the players could self-select via the club's booking process (e.g. either online or via a manual start sheet). For other competitions (e.g. the very quiet days) it may be perfectly acceptable for players to walk up without a prior booking and enter into the competition on the spot.

The important thing is that the rules and arrangements are articulated and known to all. You can't just have players deciding willy-nilly that they will sleep in, arrive late, and expect to play without penalty. That could throw the whole competition into chaos.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I am not on the tee at my tee time is it the case that as long as the others I am playing with are still at the tee I can tee off without issue as long as I do that before the tee time of the next group. I’m 99.9% certain I’m not due to delays introduced to following group…my tee time is just that…it is not the period before the next tee time. Just checking just in case.

Steven Rules

Visit site
If I am not on the tee at my tee time is it the case that as long as the others I am playing with are still at the tee I can tee off without issue as long as I do that before the tee time of the next group. I’m 99.9% certain I’m not due to delays introduced to following group…my tee time is just that…it is not the period before the next tee time. Just checking just in case.
You must be at the tee ready to start at your designated start time. It is not sufficient that you are not holding up the group behind.

Rule 5.3a
The player must start at (and not before) his or her starting time:

*This means that the player must be ready to play at the starting time and starting point set by the Committee.

*A starting time set by the Committee is treated as an exact time (for example, 9 am means 9:00:00 am, not any time until 9:01 am).

If the starting time is delayed for any reason (such as weather, slow play of other groups or the need for a ruling by a referee), there is no breach of this Rule if the player is present and ready to play when the player’s group is able to start.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 5.3a: Disqualification, except in these three cases:

Exception 1 – Player Arrives at Starting Point, Ready to Play, No More Than Five Minutes Late: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.

Exception 2 – Player Starts No More Than Five Minutes Early: The player gets the general penalty applied to his or her first hole.

Exception 3 – Committee Decides that Exceptional Circumstances Prevented Player from Starting on Time: There is no breach of this Rule and no penalty.