Dogs. Is this as mystifying as it seems?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ok, this is the second dog I've had late in life. I loved Bonnie, and this present chap, a cockapoo, is just 1 year old. He is dearly loved as well. He seems quite clever.
But today something happened which frankly makes me wonder just how clever. Is there something about animals that they can do things which we don't understand or cannot explain?
Our little chap rides in the back of the car normally, on the back seat. When he gets near to his walking place, each of several, he knows he's near and barks etc accordingly, in anticipation , no doubt. Fair enough, he sees the roads etc that he's going on.
Today, though, he rode in the well of the front seat at my wife's feet. He could only see upward out of the side window, and his view would only have been of the Sky.
Yet, we had the same reaction when about 100-150 yds of our destination.
So, how did he know?
Am I that old that I cannot see the obvious answer, or is it the same sort of phenomenon of when a dog is lost miles from home and days and days later it finds its way back?

Wonderful creatures!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dogs are very clever, my wee guy notices everything and has a fantastic memory.
Examples, my wife took a small picture off the wall and he was letting us know something was up by "wuffing" at the picture hook that was left behind.
He was also perplexed when a couple of ornaments were moved.

ps please think about getting a harness to restrain your pooch whilst in the car for their own safety.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We have 3, the oldest is a Springer Spaniel, who we've had for 11 years.

My middle step daughter is deaf in her left ear - caused by a Brain Tumour, and when she was younger the dog would always sit on her left side and lick her deaf ear. Of course, they do acknowledge that dogs can sniff out cancer so this may have been the reason, bit odd how she always picked the left ear.

Also, I used to have a GSD, lovely big lad. Took him from Yorkshire down to Norfolk one day to pick up a car I'd bought which was in bits and needed trailering back.
He'd travelled down in the back of the transit van, but on the way back home he jumped on the front seat. He always liked to look out of the window to see where we were going, but as we drove up the A17 I noticed that everytime he saw a sign for a roundabout, he'd lay down on the seat so as not to struggle to stay upright as we went round the roundabout - they're much better creature than us humans tbh.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Examples, my wife took a small picture off the wall and he was letting us know something was up by "wuffing" at the picture hook that was left behind.

ps please think about getting a harness to restrain your pooch whilst in the car for their own safety.

It's also in the Highway Code that they should be restrained. A loose dog is like a loose cannon in a car in an accident.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

We use the harness when he's on the back seat, whi ch he is 99 out of 100 journeys. Always , on any over 10-15 mins ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Their smell is wildly powerful. My dogs don’t understand toys so their only source of stimulation is with the nose. I throw a treat in the middle of a field and tell them to find it and off they go. Doesn’t take them more than a couple of minutes.

Brads

Visit site
They sense any change in your demeanour and get excited about something happening.
It can be as little a talking about what you are going to do after being quiet in the car.
Clever buggers dugs like.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our one year old poodle knows when it is Sunday. He lays on the back of the settee looking out of the window knowing that the grandchildren are due to arrive!

RichA

Visit site
I love their sensitivity to certain situations. When I used to play tug'o'war with our old lurcher/staff cross he'd try to pull my arm out of its socket. If he played with a child he'd always pull gently for a few seconds then let them win.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know this is a bit off topic and sentimental but may pull a few heartstrings.

----------------------------------------------------------

This story is so lovely and true:

WHY DOGS LIVE LESS THAN HUMAN!!!

Here's the surprising answer of a 6 year old child.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker‘s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that dogs' lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ”I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said, ”People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The six-year-old continued,

”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay for as long as we do.”

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

• When your loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
• Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
• Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
• Take naps.
• Stretch before rising.
• Run, romp, and play daily.
• Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
• Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
• On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
• On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
• When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
• Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
• Be faithful.
• Never pretend to be something you’re not.
• If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
• When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

That's the secret of happiness that we can learn from a good dog.

FB_IMG_1662146794138.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We use the harness when he's on the back seat, whi ch he is 99 out of 100 journeys. Always , on any over 10-15 mins ?

Sorry to be a ***, but do you not harness him on shorter trips? According to a whatcar article, 1 in 3 car accidents happen within 1 mile of the driver's home. Would you only put your seatbelt on if it were a long drive? Clunk click, every trip. Including the dog.

Sorry, soap box rant over. As you were.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back to topic, mine picks up on triggers and words in the house. if the kids are being shouted at to get shoes and coats etc, she knows its walkie time, if we get wellies and jump in the car, its even better and she is off the charts excited!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Sorry to be a ***, but do you not harness him on shorter trips? According to a whatcar article, 1 in 3 car accidents happen within 1 mile of the driver's home. Would you only put your seatbelt on if it were a long drive? Clunk click, every trip. Including the dog.

Sorry, soap box rant over. As you were.

To clarify. Almost always he goes in the car, harnessed on the back seat.
On this occasion and once in a blue moon he went five minutes in the well of the SUV.
No doubt you are all correct. T'won't happen again.?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I know this is a bit off topic and sentimental but may pull a few heartstrings.

----------------------------------------------------------

This story is so lovely and true:

WHY DOGS LIVE LESS THAN HUMAN!!!

Here's the surprising answer of a 6 year old child.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker‘s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that dogs' lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ”I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said, ”People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The six-year-old continued,

”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay for as long as we do.”

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

• When your loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
• Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
• Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
• Take naps.
• Stretch before rising.
• Run, romp, and play daily.
• Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
• Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
• On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
• On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
• When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
• Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
• Be faithful.
• Never pretend to be something you’re not.
• If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
• When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

That's the secret of happiness that we can learn from a good dog.

View attachment 44635

What a lovely post. These glasses aren't much good. Vision is blurred?
That isn't so much a story, as a brilliant philosophy !