Rory - is it psychological?

phillarrow

Visit site
I have an unprovable theory / opinion that Rory is the victim of sports psychology.

At his peak he was young and carefree, hitting incredible shots for fun without really trying. Not thinking very much. He was raw natural talent. His success brought the giant sponsorships and with those it attracts all the pressures to maintain the edge and that then brings in all the hangers on, yes men, and advice givers.

Rory’s personality has evolved from carefree to careful and considered. It’s the disconnected robot style of calm and living in the moment that the psychologists preach. It works for some, but it doesn’t or can’t work for everyone.

What I think we’ve seen in Rory over the later years is him under the tension between his underlying raw talent, and the psychology of playing within himself one shot at a time.

He’s only at his best when he doesn’t think. I think his head is mess, caught between subconscious urge of talent and conscious sports psychobollocks.

This is what I think happened to Sergio Garcia too. When he burst onto the scene, he was a swashbuckling character who seemed to play with real freedom. A few near misses later and he seemed to try to become a bit more strategic, which took away his best asset.

I think both he and Rory play their best golf when they have nothing to lose and totally empty minds.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
“Professional” caddie maybe? Surely all the positives of having a mate on the bag can be achieved with a pro. Player and caddie often become mates anyway.

Yes he shot the lights out Sunday, we know he has the talent to do that anytime, but is it possible a more experienced caddie could have saved him a shot or 3 in the previous 3 rounds, enough to win. We see how much influence other caddies have on club selection, shot choice, when to push, when to defend, calming words etc. Maybe Harry does all that already, I don’t know. Just a thought.

Having said all that I’ve just read and agree with Jim’s post, which might suggest an interfering caddy is the last thing he needs :)

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
“Professional” caddy maybe? Surely all the positives of having a mate on the bag can be achieved with a pro. Player and caddy often become mates anyway.

Yes he shot the lights out Sunday, we know he has the talent to do that anytime, but is it possible a more experienced caddy could have saved him a shot or 3 in the previous 3 rounds, enough to win. We see how much influence other caddies have on club selection, shot choice, when to push, when to defend, calming words etc. Maybe Harry does all that already, I don’t know. Just a thought.

Having said all that I’ve just read and agree with Jim’s post, which might suggest an interfering caddy is the last thing he needs :)
Professional caddie. "Put a smooth swing on it Rory, 280 to cover the left-hand bunker, your normal draw is fine". "No Rory, I hadn't considered a 40 yard hook into the trees".

Professional caddie. "95 yards, sand iron, just your 3 o'clock swing required, nice and smooth now". "Never mind Rory, it was a good effort".

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Professional caddie. "Put a smooth swing on it Rory, 280 to cover the left-hand bunker, your normal draw is fine". "No Rory, I hadn't considered a 40 yard hook into the trees".

Professional caddie. "95 yards, sand iron, just your 3 o'clock swing required, nice and smooth now". "Never mind Rory, it was a good effort".
Fair point. Wonder what Harry says after the 40 yard hook? :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I cant help thinking he doesn’t play enough consecutive competition rounds to be at peak ‘match fit’ performance and maybe that’s what causes him to have a bad day a lot of the time

Can't be easy planning a yearly schedule once all the 'must play' weeks are plotted and then plan your build up/preparation events etc and still make sure you get time off/away but it seems like he max's out at two consecutive events before he takes a week away from tournament golf

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder why Rory gets a little bit more stick or negativity than others

Since Woods there hasn’t been one single player that has dominated - players win some majors but then not much more , Spieth , Johnson even Koepka

Rory played superb on Sunday - prob the best he has for years and it seems at times some can’t wait to stand up to shoot him down - it’s almost as if some all over social media are just waiting to put the knife in

He is a superb golfer , conducts himself very well on the course , truthful in interviews and he himself is his biggest critic

The guys talent is outstanding and it won’t be long before he is winning a major

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have an unprovable theory / opinion that Rory is the victim of sports psychology.

At his peak he was young and carefree, hitting incredible shots for fun without really trying. Not thinking very much. He was raw natural talent. His success brought the giant sponsorships and with those it attracts all the pressures to maintain the edge and that then brings in all the hangers on, yes men, and advice givers.

Rory’s personality has evolved from carefree to careful and considered. It’s the disconnected robot style of calm and living in the moment that the psychologists preach. It works for some, but it doesn’t or can’t work for everyone.

What I think we’ve seen in Rory over the later years is him under the tension between his underlying raw talent, and the psychology of playing within himself one shot at a time.

He’s only at his best when he doesn’t think. I think his head is mess, caught between subconscious urge of talent and conscious sports psychobollocks.
Exactly why he needs to learn how to ‘dance as if nobody is looking’

For me that is all about the individual overcoming almost chronic self-awareness and self-conscious thinking about how they should act and how others perceive them, this stimulating over-thinking and inhibiting their natural instincts and ability to just ‘let go’ and ‘go for it’.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I wonder why Rory gets a little bit more stick or negativity than others

Since Woods there hasn’t been one single player that has dominated - players win some majors but then not much more , Spieth , Johnson even Koepka

Rory played superb on Sunday - prob the best he has for years and it seems at times some can’t wait to stand up to shoot him down - it’s almost as if some all over social media are just waiting to put the knife in

He is a superb golfer , conducts himself very well on the course , truthful in interviews and he himself is his biggest critic

The guys talent is outstanding and it won’t be long before he is winning a major
This.....
Don't be surprised when Scottie starts sliding down the rankings in a few months or years..
Nobody maintains that sort of consistency for long
Speith, Koepka, DJ, JT, Bryson...heck, even Rahm......they've all had periods when they been playing the best, even if not technically ranked #1, and they've all backed off with their form and results..Rory's the same.

D

Deleted member 1147

This.....
Don't be surprised when Scottie starts sliding down the rankings in a few months or years..
Nobody maintains that sort of consistency for long
Speith, Koepka, DJ, JT, Bryson...heck, even Rahm......they've all had periods when they been playing the best, even if not technically ranked #1, and they've all backed off with their form and results..Rory's the same.
Agreed
Rahm is struggling on the greens at the mo'...shall be blame his new kid, lack of concentration, lack of interest now he's rich, or a deep psychological problem?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Rory looks like he’s trapped between knowing how he needs to play, and how he wants to play.

His round on Sunday was how he wants to play. Unfortunately that just won’t cut it over the course of a tournament or season. As spectacular as it was, there was a huge amount of luck involved that kept him in play.

Before Covid he appeared to be playing more measured golf. I think he knows this is how he needs to play l, but he wants to play like he did on Sunday.

In my very humble opinion he needs to pick a shot shape too. It looks like his bad shots most come from the old double cross.