Does your course suit your game.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Knebworth is 6500 off the whites and it's tight and tree lined, you need to be straight with the driver off the tee. Which I'm not. But I can get away with hitting less than driver on most holes.

Chesfield downs is 6650 off the whites and plenty of room off the tee. So suits me much better in benign conditions. But it does blow up there more often than not, so can play havoc into the wind if you can't keep the ball down.

I can get to all Par 4's on both courses easily in 2. I can get to all the par 5's in 2 as well, but rarely will go for it as it's not worth the risk. If I can get a decent tee shot off it's an almost certain par, with a decent chance to wedge it close for a birdy.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had to adjust my game to suit my new club. It's a lot tougher than the previous club and it's made me a better player for it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been mulling over this for ages, and I mean ages. Played Moor allerton this week and the course played 600 plus yards less than my place. I shot 34 into with a couple of blobs. But that 600 yards for someone with a girlie distance swing off the tees is massive. Now ave just read another post where a par four is 290 yards long. Surely that's a misspell. At 290 yd I would expect to have to knock it over the M25, Heathrow and terminal 5. What's the hazard there. What's that all about. Our shortest par four is 380 ish. Shortest par three about 170 ish. At Moor allerton I played two six irons into greens a hybrid and Fairway wood. I got nine points. At ours it is hybrid to Driver for the par threes every week. So distance at my course is my biggest obstacle. What's the biggest obstacle at your course? Water, wind, rough, distance, sand.
If I could smash it 210yd plus off the tee life would be sweeter.

What tees did you play off at Moore Allerton? there is considerable distance between the yellow daily use tees and the back sticks.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
What tees did you play off at Moore Allerton? there is considerable distance between the yellow daily use tees and the back sticks.
We played off yellows at my suggestion. Seeing how much farther back the whites & blues were I was pleased we made that decision. Would not have enjoyed the course as much if we'd played the longer version. Think I speak for Tashy here as well.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
WGC is only 5800 yards off of the whites so a short course. We annually have the 'commemoration jug' trophy to honour Nick Faldo's 3 open wins. The tournament is open to club champions from all over the country. This year (also most other years) the course was not overpowered and the eventual winner scored 2 under par for the 36 holes. Of 82 rounds played that day only 9 were under par with the round of the day being a 66 (4 under). So just because holes/courses are short it does not make them easy.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm terrible round my home course. Treelined narrow and bit heathland like so it rolls and everything is firm. You miss the fairway by more than a few yards your chance of making a par is extremely slim.
Greens are quick and downhillers just get silly sometimes.

I usually get at least 34 points round most other tracks but I love the challenge. I'm a bit wayward off the tee and my putting can be horrendous at time so I do struggle if I'm not on it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tashy my man, you hit similar distance to me
Im just home from Anahita (you remember) parkland at 6,700 off the whites and 7,500 off the backs!

I recall your tale of a pleasant round there
You've proved to yourself you can manage that distance with course management, thats what your strokes are for, no?

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
So does course suit your game or should you tweak your game to suit the course

Depends what you want to be. The best player you can, or good enough to enjoy your golf on the weekend.

Personally, I think it's good to challenge yourself and change your home course every now and then.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Distance for me isn't a problem, not a massive hitter 245y - 280 - forest of Arden was best for my eye at 6700, Nuneaton 6452 didn't suit my shape or eye. Ullesthorpe 6423y has more space but seems to offer more hassle, foa you can smash it with lovely big soft fairways over rock hard 🎯

Start well, dogleg left ideal #Draw and trees rough where you can play a shot ideal 👍

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So does course suit your game or should you tweak your game to suit the course

There are various reasons people join clubs. Many times it will be the closest course and also where your friends are already members.

In these cases, you have to adjust your game to the course.

It was pure geographical coincidence that I joined a wider long course and my brother joined a tighter shorter course. Both have their days they play easy and others they play much harder.

When I moved to England I joined a course that was 600yards shorter. I was rubbing my hands together thinking this will be easy. It didn't turn out that way. It took maybe a year to work out where not to be off the tee and where is a really bad place to miss the green. This all came through trial and error.

After that came the different ground conditions. In Ireland we are used to playing soft courses with very little run apart from that one week a year we get warm dry weather. This was a huge contrast to the English conditions which made parkland courses play very similar to a dried out links course.

These conditions require two very different skill sets. You need to be able to carry the driver as far as possible in soft conditions in Ireland then be able to play low driving shots into greens to keep them from getting blown about by the ever present cold westerly west.

In England you could get away with lower running drives that really got out there. With the firm, basically baked greens you then have the problem of stopping the ball on the green. Especially front pins protected by a front bunker. I had to learn to use trajectory to stop the ball. Basically hitting the ball high to stop quickly (I struggled with this part in all honesty) . Bump and run shots were also the smart play. Even from 120 yards or so. A running 9 iron a useful shot. Never a shot I would play on a soft Irish parkland course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you mean between clubs.

Where I play the par is the same for whites and yellows but the SSS is 2 different.

Just a general comment. Those courses getting near the 7000 mark will be par 71 , 72.

There are plenty of tough par 68, 69 courses with low 6000 yardage.