How would the pros do on your home course?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've got a scratch player (our best player) who has driven the green on most of our par 4s. He's in the top 0.2% of players in our club.

When you then consider that the top tour pro's are the best 0.000005% golf players in the world then you get some idea of how good they really are. Of course they all don't play their best always, but I think the course would be somewhat taken apart.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They would destroy mine, they wouldn't even need a driver. Sandy Lyle played it 2007 and shot a 62. That's with having never seen the course before, no yardage book and no practice round.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I've no doubt that if you gave them a few practice rounds beforehand then the world record (55?) would be under threat at a lot of standard club courses. It would all be down to whether they hole their putts on the relevant day. There is of a course a lower limit to how low they could realistically go, but I think mid-50s (or lower) would be well within reach assuming that one of them has a good day with the putter.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Parkstone is not long and the pros would shot 5 or 6 under even with the 6th being a par 4 now at 490 yards , but if you put the pins in some spots you could make it a little harder , most pros on tour would shot under par on our courses as they are that good , its the short game that they have ...............................EYG

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Parkstone is not long and the pros would shot 5 or 6 under even with the 6th being a par 4 now at 490 yards , but if you put the pins in some spots you could make it a little harder , most pros on tour would shot under par on our courses as they are that good , its the short game that they have ...............................EYG

Shame about the 6th - another par 5 bites the dust!! Your head pro Martin shot 8 under a few year ago against our club in a match at Parkstone!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shame about the 6th - another par 5 bites the dust!! Your head pro Martin shot 8 under a few year ago against our club in a match at Parkstone!

Played Parkstone a couple of weeks ago and I was chuffed when I "birdied" the 6th. Then I realised that the card has changed and I only had a par 4.

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Paul Broadhurst plays in our pro am regularly. Last year I walked around with him and was surprised how many times he took driver, even on the most simple par 4's. If I remember rightly he shot 4 under to get 2nd place.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I would guess around ours the two par 5's would be certain birdies. The four par 3's can be quite tough but I'd still expect maybe two out of the four to be birdie chances. That leaves the Par 4's. Out of them I'd say a couple would be certain birdies (drivable, prob with a long iron for a tour pro). Another 5 would be pretty short irons in, so maybe 4 good birdie chances. The other 5 are longer holes and maybe 7/8 iron in for them so say 3 more good chances.

So, all in all 4 under plus whatever % of the good birdie putts get holed on the day out of the likely 9 chances.....on a good day, sub 60, on an average day, low 60's. All assuming they don't throw in the odd shank :D

KarenaThek

Visit site
If the professionals are willing to trade the sophistication of golf for a look at how the game must have had its primitive beginnings, then they would play extremely well. Pioneering, somewhat rebellious personalities, created this game and that is exactly what you find again on Bonaire in 2014. On this "ecological" course you will wind through coral beds and cactus forests, navigate around grass-free fairways and give right-of-way to all wildlife on the wild and extremely windy east side of the island. But there are a few very specific rules you should know before you arrive. I wrote about them on my personal blog here: http://www.osteopilates.com/osteo-pilates-blog/archives/658

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they would 7-9 shots under if they know the breaks but straight out the car perhaps 5-7 under. You see getting there isn't the issue, its sinking the putts and knowing where to drop the ball in the right place. The course record is 63 from a +1 handicapper but he has been a member for a couple of years, so knows the breaks. I was guided around by one of the scratchers on the front 9 and shot -1 I missed 2 birdie putts simply because I struggled to believe the break and went with my read :( !

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As regards the par 3's. I would expect them to birdie at least 2 out of the 4 although they might not be use to playing one only 118 yards long. There are three par 4's that they could reach from the tee and many where they would only have a short shot for their second. Of the the four par 5's ,all could be reached in 2. Given this I would expect low 60's score.
Having said that putting surfaces would be much slower than they are use to. Can't imagine that they would have to get the driver out to often!

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
PHP:
Say for talking sake a major tournament was played at your home course with all the top players in the world attending, how do u think the would do?

Well mine is quite a short course, a 5504 yard par 68. No par 5s, 4 long par 4s, and 4 long-ish and difficult par 3s.

I think they'd be at least 4 or 5 under.

They'd struggle to par our stroke index 1 par 4 5th, and have loads of trouble with the 2nd shot.

They'd do well to be under par over the 4 par 3s. All over 176 yards.

They'd have a couple of eagle chances tho, with some short par 4s.

I'd love to see this happen although there's absolutely no chance of it at all.

But imagine if say, all the courses in the UK were in a raffle type thing, and one course was picked at random every year it would be a popular event and loads would tune in to see the greats of the game playing random courses.

Whats everybody else's opinion on this?
Thats an interesting question, some years back my club The Suffolk Golf & Country Club was used as a regular Europro tour venue and frankly the pro's ripped it apart, here's the scores when a Europro event was last staged there,

https://www.europrotour.com/blog/tim-takes-second-title/