Does your course suit your game.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been mulling over this for ages, and I mean ages. Played Moor allerton this week and the course played 600 plus yards less than my place. I shot 34 into with a couple of blobs. But that 600 yards for someone with a girlie distance swing off the tees is massive. Now ave just read another post where a par four is 290 yards long. Surely that's a misspell. At 290 yd I would expect to have to knock it over the M25, Heathrow and terminal 5. What's the hazard there. What's that all about. Our shortest par four is 380 ish. Shortest par three about 170 ish. At Moor allerton I played two six irons into greens a hybrid and Fairway wood. I got nine points. At ours it is hybrid to Driver for the par threes every week. So distance at my course is my biggest obstacle. What's the biggest obstacle at your course? Water, wind, rough, distance, sand.
If I could smash it 210yd plus off the tee life would be sweeter.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My course is short only 6000 off the whites, but its really quite tricky. People seem to think because it is short it is easy, but it is very difficult for a visitor to come and score well. You need to know where to miss and if you get that wrong, you can be staring a double bogey in the face for making a very small mistake. I'd say my course doesn't really suit my game, I am a decent driver of the ball and can normally keep it in play, but my approach shots are pretty weak, which leaves me with quite tricky up and downs. I have been working on this area though and dropped 3 shots in the past month, but now my driving has completely gone!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, I have exactly the same issue. I really like my place but the shortest par 4 is 399. I can't reach any par 4 in 2 shots and that is a real issue. I am driver, rescue every time as a bare minimum.

One par 3 is about 150, the other three are 170 but can play longer as they tend to be into the wind. For me I can only use an iron on one of those.

I may have created an answer for next year. We had a meeting this week and discussed the comps for next year. We are going to have Sunday as our strokeplay off the whites day, as it is now, and Saturday will be Stableford or derivatives of, off the yellows, it is currently still strokeplay heavy off the whites this year. This makes the course 400yds shorter and makes it better balanced in terms of length of holes.

The suggestion has to be approved by the full committee and club owner but if it is then I will play the Saturday comps only and will enjoy it far more.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What length are these courses lads?

What was Moore allerton? did you play it off the back sticks? its hosted euro pro tour events. Pretty sure it can stretch out.

Tashyboy

Visit site
It may sound like a whinge coz I have a girly swing but I was listening to MIB and he was more or less saying the same. He can smash it off the tee for a fossil and was tinkering with his loft to get another yard or two. Even when I hit my Sunday best I was still 20-30 yd behind him. He hit the nail on the head that if you hit a good drive you should have a chance of hitting the green with your second. On our SI 1, par five 580yd, the fairway is 175-180 from the white pots and 25 from the women's. It does play into the wind a bit at times. It is PITA that you are stood on the tee knowing that Ping HQ fitted you and your carry is 178 yd with the driver.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is 6,800 off the whites, 6,400 off the yellows.

Tashy, next time you are up play Gosforth GC, also known as The Bridlepath. Not overly long, you can plot your way around it and plenty of chance to use short irons into the green. A nice antidote to ever lengthening courses.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What length are these courses lads?

What was Moore allerton? did you play it off the back sticks? its hosted euro pro tour events. Pretty sure it can stretch out.

Ours is about 6800 whites, we played Moor allerton off the yellows which was 6100 depending on which of the three nines you play, whites were 20-300 yd further. Odd thing was to endorse what Coffey said. On the 10th, our first hole I smashed a driver and three wood got to the top of the hill and saw a raging torrent of a dyke in the dip. I thought sod it that's gone. My ball was a yard short of getting a bath. My point is I loved playing it and would be wiser as there was loads of hazards that I now know are there.
We played 19-27 as it is those holes that are part of a pro event later this year.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Mine is 6,800 off the whites, 6,400 off the yellows.

Tashy, next time you are up play Gosforth GC, also known as The Bridlepath. Not overly long, you can plot your way around it and plenty of chance to use short irons into the green. A nice antidote to ever lengthening courses.

When we have been up to seahouses a pals pal has two bungalows there. We have rented one of those. He now has them both up for sale. Gutted proper gutted. Me and Missis T will be up there again, but lord knows when 🙁

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6800 yards is pretty long for a park land. Ours is 6678yards off the back sticks. its a real leveller when off the backs and playing long is soggy no run conditions. St Patrick's day open is usually brutal. :rofl:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been mulling over this for ages, and I mean ages. Played Moor allerton this week and the course played 600 plus yards less than my place. I shot 34 into with a couple of blobs. But that 600 yards for someone with a girlie distance swing off the tees is massive. Now ave just read another post where a par four is 290 yards long. Surely that's a misspell. At 290 yd I would expect to have to knock it over the M25, Heathrow and terminal 5. What's the hazard there. What's that all about. Our shortest par four is 380 ish. Shortest par three about 170 ish. At Moor allerton I played two six irons into greens a hybrid and Fairway wood. I got nine points. At ours it is hybrid to Driver for the par threes every week. So distance at my course is my biggest obstacle. What's the biggest obstacle at your course? Water, wind, rough, distance, sand.
If I could smash it 210yd plus off the tee life would be sweeter.

Don't want to worry you, tash, but the girlies are smacking it past you. :whistle:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Uphill and usually into the wind on 9 and 11, the 11th is also a par-5 at 525yds off the whites, came in with a grose-9 on both 9 and 11 in the 'mid week medal' this Wednesday evening just gone, hard headwind cutting left to right put me in the trees off the tee both times, that's my excuse anyway...:thup:

Tashyboy

Visit site
Don't want to worry you, tash, but the girlies are smacking it past you. :whistle:

Played in a mixed doubles comp last year, I stepped in at the last minute to help out one of the girls who worked behind the bar. Out of 130 plus shots she hit, probably 90 were with the driver. Her husband who had pulled out told her that's the club that hits it the furthest. Out of 34 points we scored I got 32.
However the other couple we played with. He was a plank, but she was a delight to play with. She had been taking intensive lessons ( for nine months) and when stood on the women's tees hit it as far as me with draw. It was both a joy to watch and flippin sickening. She was in her mid late forties and the timing was just sublime. They won the comp with 44 points six in front of the second place and she on her own shot 41 points playing off 23. It was a strange experience watching somone who weighs 9 stone smashing it miles.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
a par four is 290 yards long. Surely that's a misspell. What's the hazard there

Our shortest par four is 380 ish

Some of the best (most fun!) holes are short, so long as they are cleverly designed, giving you options of how to play them with suitable risk/reward

. Shortest par three about 170 ish. At ours it is hybrid to Driver for the par threes every week

This doesn't sound much fun to me every week

I love a nice short(ish) par 3 a la Postage Stamp, particularly if there's a good mix of longer holes. Really don't enjoy courses that are just a long slog especially when all the par 3's are long

* Disclaimer - this is assuming it's parkland not a fast running links or heathland and/or you're not playing at an elite level

D

Deleted member 15717

Just under 6900 off whites, and 6700 off yellows. Getting it off the tee is the hardest part as trees can be dense in places.

Always find I can struggle when I go to a place where it is mainly positional based...as not been conditioned for that! Find it alien hitting an iron off the tee on a par 4

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The only golf courses that suit my game are pitch&putt courses, I'm afraid. My home course plays 6700 yards off the whites, 5700 yards off the reds, par 72 in both cases. What I struggle with the most is that I cannot reach anything except the two shortest par 3s in regulation. I can get relatively close to the green with driver + 3 wood on a few of the par 4s, have even reached the green that way on a few very lucky (and sunny and dry) occasions, but normally I need three more or less full shots to reach the greens on the par 4s and 4 shots for the par 5s. So I wouldn't complain if the course were a bit shorter or if they put in an extra set of tees for the hopeless. I think it would be more fun that way.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Our course is 6,100 yards & suits me fine. I can reach all but two or 3 par 4s with a drive & an iron, all of them sometimes. The point I was making to Tashyboy was that, if a hole is designed to be played with a drive & 9 iron, e.g small green, heavily trapped, I don't want to be hitting a 5 wood into it. I want to be in the correct landing area if I hit a good tee shot & be hitting the right club into the green. If, like Lord T, we had every par 4 over 400 yards I'd be looking for another course.

One of the reasons the pros are better than us is because they hit it so far. We don't want to be playing the same courses.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My home course is under 6000/yellows and just over 6000/whites. There only two par fours over 400 yards. One of the shortest par 4s at 290 yards has wrecked many a card. What is interesting is that the three of the 4 par 3s are stroke indexes 3,5 & 7 based upon difficulty and not match play.

Until the past few years I would have said that it was not a course that could be over powered simply because you could smash the ball miles..

It has well positioned bunkers and doglegs that remove the driver from the hands of the big hitters. It's biggest defences are the wind (hill top course), narrow fairways, lots of trees , quite a few small sloping greens and OB on 11 off the holes.

As to own game have now reached the sort of age where I no longer smash it miles but still have a relatively straight game so it's probably ideal.