Does size really matter

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am currently using a 425cc driver will i get more distance out of a 460cc?

Will be changing clubs next year, obviously will be getting fitted and test driving a few.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I maintain it doesnt make that big a difference, my old biggest big bertha, when I gave it a new deserving home, went pretty much the same distance as any other driver ive tried out. On sunday I was out with three fellas, one was using the latest king cobra monstrosity, one was using an oldish callaway driver and the other was using a titleist, they were all hitting the ball similar distances and yet none of them made as nice a sound as my srixon, its not the sweetest sounding driver out but even the noise of a dull thump from a massive driver puts me off them. The BB Bertha is relatively small in comparison to these new drivers but still sounded 10 times better than the drivers ive seen and heard.
Moral of the story, if you can hit it reasonably long and more importantly straight (and make a bloody good crack when you hit it), why worry about another 5 yards?

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am hitting it anywhere from 220-260yds, am still working on my release so have had a couple of nasty hooks and pushes but getting there, my driving was fine until i went for a lesson!!

Will test drive a few next year and see what happens.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Longest driver I ever had was a persimmon headed Wilson with a steel shaft 20 years ago. Never got anywhere near as far since. Mind you, the head was the size of a cotton real, and it was a pig to get out of the sweet spot, but when it went, boy did it go.
It probably helps I used to hit it both feet off the ground, and 'eyeballs out'.

P

pingpal

Doesn't matter. Clubhead speed at impact as long as clubhead is on plane = distance.
460cc is more forgiving on mis-hits, that's all.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't matter. Clubhead speed at impact as long as clubhead is on plane = distance.
I'm glad you aren't writing any golf books. What's the plane got to do with it???

speed x path x face angle x launch angle.
I'd try 105 mph x 4 degrees from inside x 2 degrees open x 13 degrees loft ought to do it......if you want science.

425 cc vs. 460 = almost no difference. TM r7 is better than most for distance. If you want more, you'll have to hit the thing harder.

Dave

(only 'avin a giraffe)

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The larger the clubhead face, the less likely you are to find the middle. It's the hand/eye co-ordination thing again. It wasn't long ago when we were playing with drivers with faces as large as the modern rescue clubs, but we didn't keep heeling or toeing it. Small club faces concentrate the focus on the impact point more.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
not so sure....I've just gone from 250 cc to 460. After I hit a ball with the FT-3 there is a mark on the nice shiny titanium face, in the middle mostly....surprisingly enough.....
as there was on my great big bertha (250) and warbird (200).
It depends on the player.....someone starting now might never find the middle.....ever!!! (if that's what you mean :))

Dave

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
My driver is a Cobra F-speed LD and it is a 460 and I can hit that about 260-300 however I have a Mizuno MP-001 3 wood that is absolutely tiny by comparison and I can hit it 230-250 so in my humble opinion size doesn't matter.

P

pingpal

I'm glad you aren't writing any golf books. What's the plane got to do with it???
Well Dave you certainly shouldn't consider writing golf books. Every decent instruction manual around will say you need to keep the club head on plane throughout the swing in order to consistently and predictably have the club head square at impact. If you ain't square at impact you're not gonna hit any fairway or green.

P

pingpal

Murph I thought the point of the post was would 460cc go further than 425cc. I answered that with a firm NO which I think we all agree on.
If you are not square at impact you will lose distance by the bucketload via a slice or hook.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stick with a good 5 wood, you cant go wrong! :D

Oh yes I can! I slice 3's & 5's much more than the driver - I think the 5 is the original U-tube!

On a more serious note, could too flexible a shaft contribute to this? I was much better with a 5 of different manufacture.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
viscount17

General rule of thumb is this:

If the shaft is too flexible you'll hit it out left,

If it's too stiff it'll end up going right.

DHM.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Brendy - There might be another fairway on the left, where a pull hook will go miles. Or maybe a frozen pond, or a motorway, or a passing train.

I liked the R7 quad when it was 400cc. It felt about right. Much bigger and you can feel the wind resistance as you swing it. Have always found this with the latest Cobras (advertising strap line 'the biggest face in golf').

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fairway left is fair game then if its not OOB but noone would ever intentionally hook a ball, its a horribly horrible shot of the teebox.
You mention passing trains, dont laugh there is a course, Carnalea, in co. down that has a railway line running the length of the rhs of the 1st hole, the green is an uphill 270 or so and is driveable, I stood in disgust one day whilst there as I pushed my drive and watched a train make my ball look like a fried egg! The amount of lost balls laying in the sidings were incredible!