Does playing with poorer players drag you down ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 18588

I see no reason for this post.

Surely all the OP had to do was ask his playing partners if him being a chopper was bringing them down.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I used to find that playing with better players affected my game.
They'd hit it long off the tee, (say like 180 yards), I'd try to impress and keep up, and everything then went Pete Tong.
Doesn't bother me now. I know my limitations.

D

Deleted member 21258

Can I reassure you that there are many low handicap golfers who are quite happy to play with and encourage newcomers to the game.

Well said:thup:

I was taken to golf by two good players and very grateful to them and they just laughed, helped to look for my balls, took the mickey out of me etc and had a good laugh at my expense of being new to golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an absolute hacker (new golfer with a high handicap) this is something I do worry about. I understand playing time for a lot of people is limited so don’t want my ability to affect their enjoyment of their game and so I often play with players of similar ability as not to disrupt others. I lack concentration and will often play the front 9 of my course in 40-43 but fall apart on the back 9 due to no longer concentrating. The fact that is seems a somewhat large degree of golfers have the similar feeling of playing with high handicappers does put us off entering comps etc and is a factor is new golfers not sticking with the game for extended periods of time.

Don't let the views of Katie Hopkins put you off. It is not the view of most golfers who are looking for a friendly game

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope! not for me. I love that feeling of superiority. It relaxes me and usually play well. When I used to play with my BIL in comps years ago when I was off 22 and him 28, no one seemed to play well when with us. LOL

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nope, not me getting in a tizz. I'm off 18 for a reason and I'm more than comfortable with that. To a single figure player yes I'm probably a hacker, to my mates who struggle to get it round in less than 120 shots I'm a bit of a golf god. Its all subjective. I just find it very disrespectful of you to constantly brand anyone you seem to feel is an inferior player to yourself as a chopper. Like I asked, were you born with a single figure handicap, cupcake?

Yer making it up as you go along geezer, get over it petal.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I reassure you that there are many low handicap golfers who are quite happy to play with and encourage newcomers to the game.

I couldn’t care less about someone’s ability. If they have good etiquette, can take some friendly abuse and don’t mind listening to me moan, then we will have a good time

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I try to avoid playing with high handicap players in medals but have been known to have a bounce game now and then but not a lot.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yer making it up as you go along geezer, get over it petal.

No, you're right. You've got me completely stumped now:confused: Guess its true what they say about arguing with idiots. DOn't do it as they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Yep, you win...

D

Deleted member 18588

I vet players handicap before I agree to play with them.

Good job the +2 handicappers didn't do that the other evening or you wouldn't have got a game!

Get over yourself!!

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I just don't get the chomper/chopper/hacker thing. Why disparage golfers because of their ability? They're golfers, just like a scratch player, but with a different level of ability. To be honest, the use of those adjectives says more about the user. Surely who you are happy to play with should be about personality and etiquette?

Perfectly put.
No need to be disrespectful towards any other golfer and these names ARE disrespectful.
Treat people how you want to be treated in all walks of life, lose the ego and just enjoy playing golf with people that you get on with regardless of ability.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think in any walk of life it is respect or lack of it and mind games.

A short tale of what happened to me the last week:

I am late 60’s was off 12 3 years’ ago but with back/ hip problems am now off 20 which I hate.

160 yard drive is good. Playing with a conceited guy last week in a Comp, he went out in 19 me 17 then he had 4 for 1 and I had 3 for 3, both 20 points after 10 and his comment was’Get your speech ready’. Mind games or what.

Played with same guy, aged 78 plays off 9 has been down to 3 again in a roll up and I was playing well had a birdie and his comment was, you should never be off 20. Will have a word with committee about handicap. Mind games again.

Found it quite embarrassing.

The point I am making is that we all have started off as a high handicapper, have different levels of ability and does it really matter who you are playing with provided they keep up with play, have a knowledge of the rules, are good company.

There is too much elitism in Golf and at times on This Forum. Get on with it life is too short to make enemies!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I vet players handicap before I agree to play with them.

You really are a prize specimen - why don't you take up knitting or something else.

Good job my 17 handicap means i never get to grace the course with you! Indeed, any of the great forum meets that have many off even more hacker-standard handicaps than me will be very relieved!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Direct quote from the Forum Rules

“ Golf Monthly is a magazine and website for all golfers - not just 'better players' and we seek to encourage all golfers no matter what their playing ability. Posts that in the opinion of the moderartors or administrators set out to belittle, ridicule or antagonise a forum member because of their playing ability will not be tolerated.”

In practice we don’t like references like “hacker or chomper” etc as they do not fit into the GM ethos that Golf is for all regardless of ability.

So please can we avoid use of them

Thank you

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Direct quote from the Forum Rules

“ Golf Monthly is a magazine and website for all golfers - not just 'better players' and we seek to encourage all golfers no matter what their playing ability. Posts that in the opinion of the moderartors or administrators set out to belittle, ridicule or antagonise a forum member because of their playing ability will not be tolerated.”

In practice we don’t like references like “hacker or chomper” etc as they do not fit into the GM ethos that Golf is for all regardless of ability.

So please can we avoid use of them

Thank you

These rules are fine and I agree with them but far to often folk are taking offence to posts that are not even directed at them and no reference to them which is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.