Does playing with poorer players drag you down ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that really the case ? I personally wouldn't want to play regularly with a bunch oh choppers.

Probably what the plus handicappers are saying about you :thup:

Edit, re the post I don't care what standard the folk I'm playing with are as long as they like having a laugh and a beer afterwards

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes if they are truly rank. I've been drawn with 28 handicappers in comps at my old club and they did well to even score 18 points. It was just painful being stuck with them. Thankfully my current club does not have really crap players as they just would not survive playing there based on the difficulty of the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most of our comps are drawn and so you can get a 28 and a single figure along with me as a mid handicapper in one group. To be honest, as long as the pace of play is acceptable and the company pleasant I really don't care about a high handicapper having a bad day. I can only control my own ball and as long as I stick to my game plan on each shot and execute properly, there's nothing to worry about.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don’t play with too many that are much worse that me, being as most are better than me. :smirk:
Playing with cat1 players can affect me though, I can get bored as many (not all) insist on playing in turn then faff about spending ages getting their laser out and keep changing their mind about which club to use. Then on the green they stalk around the green lining up their putt. I’m then rushing my shot as I just want to get the game over.

May be that's how they are cat1 and you aren't..

And you were doing so well lately:rolleyes: I can only assume you were born with a single figure handicap.

You really do have a massive chip on yer shidder about being a chopper don't :whistle:

Probably what the plus handicappers are saying about you :thup:

err....I scored as well or better than the rest :ears:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Yes if they are truly rank. I've been drawn with 28 handicappers in comps at my old club and they did well to even score 18 points. It was just painful being stuck with them. Thankfully my current club does not have really crap players as they just would not survive playing there based on the difficulty of the course.

What course do you play that keeps these crap players away....?

Moquillo19

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh my goodness.... I thought we played a friendly game. I personally like playing golf with anyone, be they higher hcap/new players or pros . It's always better than being at work. If we take time to look at higher hcap or new players we might well find they are actually watching us, seeing how we approach the game and handling some of the dodgy situations we put ourselves in. I regularly played with a 2 hcap when I was off 17. Watching him I soon realised the chances of creaming a 3wood 180yards out of the rough onto the green were zilch. In two years I was off 10 and when he left the club I made it to 6 playing the game the way he did. Not once did he make me feel like I was ruining his day as what I did had no bearing on his game.
So now I try to do the same. Play the game with a smile and concentrate on what I am doing without worrying about what everyone else is up to.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For 9 holes, well done :thup:

Or should you be a plus handicap also?

The problem always lies with consistency, the low guys do it hole after hole, round after round, the rest of us can string it together for 9 sometimes 18, but we can't do it consistently.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem always lies with consistency, the low guys do it hole after hole, round after round, the rest of us can string it together for 9 sometimes 18, but we can't do it consistently.

That's why we're choppers the low boys don't want to play with ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can chop it about with any one. Don't really care. I will never be super low, and am rooted in mediocrity. On occasions I can hold my own with good players, and also, I can look rubbish playing with higher handicaps. You get what you get. In the main, I have ceased getting excited by the good stuff, or hacked off with gash. Occasionally I fail in this.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Maybe if you try again in English I might have a clue what you're going on about?

You, that's you there, reading this quote, have a very large complex, that's inferior complex, every time I mention the word, that's type in this reply box, the word chopper, chopper being an adjective for a hacker, hacker being another adjective for being not very good at golf, golf being a game/sport played over a measured course, mostly consisting of 18 holes...

To simply for the hard of understanding, every time I mention the word chopper/chapper/hacker you get yourself in a right tizzy and take it all very personal, despite the very fact I make absolutely zero mention of you.

Does that make it easier now cupcake ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You, that's you there, reading this quote, have a very large complex, that's inferior complex, every time I mention the word, that's type in this reply box, the word chopper, chopper being an adjective for a hacker, hacker being another adjective for being not very good at golf, golf being a game/sport played over a measured course, mostly consisting of 18 holes...

To simply for the hard of understanding, every time I mention the word chopper/chapper/hacker you get yourself in a right tizzy and take it all very personal, despite the very fact I make absolutely zero mention of you.

We are all a tad different in our inabilities to play golf. To a top tour pro, a web.com player is a chopper. To a scratch golfer, a 10 h/capper is a chopper.

Not sure where I stand in this, as I am a bit in the middle.

Care to expand on what makes someone a chopper?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We are all a tad different in our inabilities to play golf. To a top tour pro, a web.com player is a chopper. To a scratch golfer, a 10 h/capper is a chopper.

Not sure where I stand in this, as I am a bit in the middle.

Care to expand on what makes someone a chopper?

It's a fair point, someone off of 18 or 20 may not necessarily be a chopper, they may be just very short off the tee, or some senior guys who play off higher who just plop the ball forward, I wouldn't class as a chopper but someone who digs the course up, topping/thinning/thrashing/digging about is, I guess in most peoples eyes a chopper...No ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

He probably has a bigger complex about you finding him endearing enough to call him cupcake ;)
(you probably want to keep that sort of thing to PM's)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Nope, not me getting in a tizz. I'm off 18 for a reason and I'm more than comfortable with that. To a single figure player yes I'm probably a hacker, to my mates who struggle to get it round in less than 120 shots I'm a bit of a golf god. Its all subjective. I just find it very disrespectful of you to constantly brand anyone you seem to feel is an inferior player to yourself as a chopper. Like I asked, were you born with a single figure handicap, cupcake?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I just don't get the chomper/chopper/hacker thing. Why disparage golfers because of their ability? They're golfers, just like a scratch player, but with a different level of ability. To be honest, the use of those adjectives says more about the user. Surely who you are happy to play with should be about personality and etiquette?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just don't get the chomper/chopper/hacker thing. Why disparage golfers because of their ability? They're golfers, just like a scratch player, but with a different level of ability. To be honest, the use of those adjectives says more about the user. Surely who you are happy to play with should be about personality and etiquette?

Spanish Bilbo - the voice of reason:whoo:

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As an absolute hacker (new golfer with a high handicap) this is something I do worry about. I understand playing time for a lot of people is limited so don’t want my ability to affect their enjoyment of their game and so I often play with players of similar ability as not to disrupt others. I lack concentration and will often play the front 9 of my course in 40-43 but fall apart on the back 9 due to no longer concentrating. The fact that is seems a somewhat large degree of golfers have the similar feeling of playing with high handicappers does put us off entering comps etc and is a factor is new golfers not sticking with the game for extended periods of time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As an absolute hacker (new golfer with a high handicap) this is something I do worry about. I understand playing time for a lot of people is limited so don’t want my ability to affect their enjoyment of their game and so I often play with players of similar ability as not to disrupt others. I lack concentration and will often play the front 9 of my course in 40-43 but fall apart on the back 9 due to no longer concentrating. The fact that is seems a somewhat large degree of golfers have the similar feeling of playing with high handicappers does put us off entering comps etc and is a factor is new golfers not sticking with the game for extended periods of time.

Can I reassure you that there are many low handicap golfers who are quite happy to play with and encourage newcomers to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.