does on course noise put you off???

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
while you are playing does noise put you off your shot??

it can be distracting something loud and unexpected right in you back swing, but general noise, like PP talking, a dog barking on the beach or a bird flying by don't bother me in the slightest.

One of the guys i play with can be put off by a Bumble Bee farting in the south Pole , he would put Monty to shame.

anyone else like this?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It generally doesn't bother me. If someone shouts out or laughs loudly (from another group on the course) on my downswing alone then that does distract but oddly enough any other noise does not impact at all. I'm certainly not precious about noise on a course, I can phase it out quite easily.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not really bothered by anything like that, but it's interesting, I note at ranges people hit bad shots, and then look to blame noise, movement 300 yards away or anything else. My opinions are that:

1. If you really can't handle noisy kids, people moving around getting balls, and whatever else happens at the range, or the course you are going to struggle. Earl Woods obviously knew this back in the day, with his practice methods for Tiger.
2. Humans don't like to admit errors, it is much easier for a lot of people to blame something external, no matter how insignificant, than it is to accept that they made a mistake, or even worse are not very good at something.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Generally noise doesnt bother me, however the one thing that does is the clatter of clubs as someone is walking. Annoys the hell out of me, and I will always stop my backswing to let them either stop or walk by.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s a wonder I kind find any swing what with the voices in my head :eek:

So no, a lawnmower or passing buggy doesn’t bother me

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
No. Sudden loud noises do. There are fields adjacent to our golf course and the farmer likes to set up a scarecrow device which emits gunshot like noises about every ten minutes or so (it is somehow solar driven, so it loads up in the sun and then it goes boom ... two or three seconds wait time ... enough to just make you start your backswing again ... boom). That thing totally drives me nuts sometimes. Also if a car honks its horn driving by or somthing like that. But general noise and talking normally does not faze me at all. I just concentrate on the shot I want to hit and fade everything else out. And I admit that I am sometimes guilty of talking or moving while another player is preparing his or her shot because I just forget that there are people who cannot deal with that.

I played with a guy who was absolutely fidgety about anyone moving or talking while he lines up his putts the other week (lining up, mind you, not even setting up to it or hittig it) ... got on my nerves a bit, to be honest, because it prevented everyone from preparing his or her putts in advance and slowed the round down considerably.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends on what it is but someone mentioned in a previous thread that a ball landing 30 yards behind him would put him off!!!

Seriously??

A shout of "fore" would probably put me off as it's also a warning or a car horn, something loud but genuinely I can swing through most things and get on with it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Actually I'm more likely to be put off by someone moving about and catching my eye when trying to play. I'd probably stop if that was happening far more often than I would if they were talking nearby.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's just general chit chat, not at all. I don't even notice it. To the point I am actually much too relaxed about chatting when other people are playing (obviously when it's laid back people I know).

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it's just general chit chat, not at all. I don't even notice it. To the point I am actually much too relaxed about chatting when other people are playing (obviously when it's laid back people I know).
This is me also.
Can't help thinking that being 'distracted' when playing golf is a learnt behaviour.
If you think that the faintest thing will distract you, it will. If you think that general chit-chat, wildlife, planes, cars etc is just fine, then it will be.
Some people are too precious by half.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only get distracted by sudden/unexpected noise. General background noise is not an issue (such as talking, buggies passing, or greenkeeping sounds). After all, our course is as close to central London as its possible to get, so there always the rumble of traffic on the south circular, aircraft overhead, sirens, helicopters and so on. The football on adjacent fields ain't so quiet either. And as the nice weather approaches, the Boys Brigade will start practising their drumming routines on the Scout camp soon.

In fact, we have a number of points where you walk past a green to get to another tee - what does tend to bother is those players who stop and be quiet. I'm much more conscious of them having stopped than I would be of them walking past.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said, a general hum is fine, but a sudden noise while swinging could potentially put me off. Our 11th tee is right next to a firing range so that's often eventful.

I also have a mate who's seemingly put off by anything, he'll wait for an age for total silence, and he used to even ensure nobody was stood behind either as that would put him off (but he seems to have tried to overcome this lately). Although he is off 31 and I think concentration is actually his big issue preventing him getting any lower, so understandable in a way. Quite a barrier for him to overcome.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As others have said, a general hum is fine, but a sudden noise while swinging could potentially put me off. Our 11th tee is right next to a firing range so that's often eventful.

I also have a mate who's seemingly put off by anything, he'll wait for an age for total silence, and he used to even ensure nobody was stood behind either as that would put him off (but he seems to have tried to overcome this lately). Although he is off 31 and I think concentration is actually his big issue preventing him getting any lower, so understandable in a way. Quite a barrier for him to overcome.
the guy i mentioned was playing the 8th at Tain and a Cock Pheasant called out just before he took his shot, the fuss he made... and moaned about it for the next 10 holes and in the clubhouse. One of our PP the next time we played took out a Pheasant caller and kept blowing it.. the other guy didn't see the funny side:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some bloke had a go at me for yelling "Fore" because he was about 70 yards away chipping on another hole. So I asked him if next time I hit a wayward shot, I should look around, make sure no-one was putting or chipping, wait for them to finish and then give it a "Fore". It didn't help that my two playing partners fell about laughing out loud at that so he lost the plot completely.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I expect my playing partners to be considerate to my shot, just as i would for them (stand still when someone in the group is playing and STFU for a few seconds). I also expect anyone walking past to offer the same courtesy, as i would for them.

Other than that, noise and distractions on the course don't really bother me unless it's a blatant disregard for other people's enjoyment. But most people are considerate and appreciative of other golfers around them.

Funnily enough, my club is surrounded by famers fields and we have regular crop scaring going on, which pretty much sounds like a shotgun going off randomly.

Wolf

Visit site
Actually I'm more likely to be put off by someone moving about and catching my eye when trying to play. I'd probably stop if that was happening far more often than I would if they were talking nearby.
Exactly this for me also.

Noise doesn't bother me but seeing something move does

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
up until yesterday i would have said make whatever noise you like ,but,,,,,,,, for some reason playing a chip shot to the green someone hit off an adjacent tee and i totally lost control of my swing ending up chunking the ball about six feet. the noise just totally put me off ,i have never had that before but for some reason that particular time it did get to me.