Does golf class as taking exercise

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf could burn 1600 calories but don't think of it that way

The average man burns 2500 a day. Divide that by six as a 4 hour round is 1/6th of your day...
That would mean you would burn 400/500 calories by just standing on the first tee for 4 hours. So i think it would be better to say golf burns around a 1000 calories

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A four mile run, at ten minute miles burns about 500 calories, according to my phone app, runtastic. I think I get more benefit from this than from a round of golf. For me, only one of these is exercise, the other fills the space between the bacon sandwich and the post game pint.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a polar FT4 HR monitor which calculates calories in a reasonably accurate fashion - predominantly based upon heart rate plus personal input stats (gender, age, weight etc). I keep saying I should wear it around the course to see what the number is but hate wearing a watch for golf. In the interests of research and forum harmony I'll give it a go tomorrow :)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a polar FT4 HR monitor which calculates calories in a reasonably accurate fashion - predominantly based upon heart rate plus personal input stats (gender, age, weight etc). I keep saying I should wear it around the course to see what the number is but hate wearing a watch for golf. In the interests of research and forum harmony I'll give it a go tomorrow :)

How do you feel about wearing it for the same length of time but when you're not golfing? For a "control" number, in the interests of science..... :)

tigertot

Medal Winner
Visit site
Check out this link from "get into golf" it details the health and well being benefits of taking up golf as a sport. Seems quite clear that it is a good idea.
http://www.getintogolf.org/features.aspx?sitesectionid=210&sitesectiontitle=&page=2.
Non golfers can have a misconception about golf being stuffy and sedentary. Disappointed that the health care professional did not recognise the potential benefits of the sport

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do you feel about wearing it for the same length of time but when you're not golfing? For a "control" number, in the interests of science..... :)

Good idea! Not sure I do 4 sedentary hours unless I'm in bed though! Got a good idea what my BMR is so that will need deducting...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exercise is a broad term. Some wouldn't regard a gentle jog as exercise, others benefit from a nice walk. For the average sedentary worker, a game of golf offers some low impact gentle exercise and relaxation.

Golf wil burn some calories above basal metabolic rate, but it doesn't usually get the heart pumping too hard. That may not be a bad thing though. I have played at several courses each with an uphill hole known locally as Coronary Hill.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I go for a 5 mile walk - how can that not be exercise?
OK its not cardiovascular and its not getting much blood pumping but its gentle exercise.

I dunno, all that trolley kicking, thumping of irons into the rough,provisional balls, swearing etc must get your blood pumping some.

#3inarow:)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do not think that anyone would disagree that golf is not exercise, but so is walking to Macdonughts.

Many golfers fool themselves into thinking that playing golf will keep them fit. The fact that some courses have a coronary hill tends to back that up.
A caddy covering 36 holes will take a fair bit of exercise but if at the end of the day he devours three Killie Pies and ten pints of heavy he will not gain much in the way of fitness.

To keep fit is quite simple, eat moderately with healthy food. Exercise for three 30 minute sessions a week where you are breathing hard.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The fact is that you only need to exercise enough to be fit to do the things you want to do. A competitive runner will need to train harder than a golfer, as will, say, a tennis player. But to say you need so much aerobic exercise a week to stay fit is wrong. I don't do it and, for 67 years old, I'm one of the healthiest people I know, because I eat sensibly, don't drink to excess and, thanks to semi retirement, don't suffer from stress. My father, who died aged 93, who walked around 3 miles every day until about a month before he died, never did any aerobic exercise all the time I knew him and his only ailments were all smoking related.

Apparently, there is little evidence that doing exercise has any effect on how long you live or how healthy you are. What does have an effect is lifestyle. Stress, bad diet, excessive drinking & smoking are the main causes of bad health. A leisurely 5 or 6 mile walk around the golf course gives you a pleasant, injury free, way of getting the circulation going, absorbing some vitamin D and generally making you feel better ( provided you play well, of course)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well my plan failed. Golf isn't strenuous enough to make me sweat and kept losing the signal from my HR strap so gave up...

Perhaps some lube would work :eek: