Does golf class as taking exercise

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I go for a 5 mile walk - how can that not be exercise?
OK its not cardiovascular and its not getting much blood pumping but its gentle exercise.
Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My father did no exercise at all but for golf and lived until he was 93. The only health problems he had were angina & macular degeneration, both resulting, I believe, from years of smoking, which he gave up in his 70s. I don't believe that exercising vigorously has anything to do with good health. Eating & drinking sensibly & remaining free from stress is the answer, I'm convinced.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree that its not an exercise that gets your heart rate pumping to extremes but its still a gentle form of exercise especially if you play 1 or 2 hilly courses along the way...

And not so much now but i use to put clubs away from November for about 3-4 months and when i started back playing i could feel it in my body for a good few weeks till got use to be back playing again so i do believe we do get some good out of it..

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
So. Is it just me and the guys I play golf with who come off the course at the end of a round feeling quite knackered? Particularly at this time of the year when the grass is more clinging on the cleats and each step becomes more difficult up and down hill.

It's a common saying that golf adds at least 5 years of quality life and looking at the 70/80/90 year olds still playing at our gaff, I think that that is an understatement.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My thoughts are that it's little or no more 'exercise' than any other sort of walking is. However, it's an 'activity' and a good way to burn calories, just like any other form of walking for a decent period is.

Swimming is still the best and most effective form of non-specific exercise I know. Cycling ain't bad either.:thup:

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Golf is exercise. Your fitness level will determine how hard you are working.

Someone who is unfit and overweight will feel more of a training effect than someone who is used to playing a more demanding sport.

Either way, walking for miles (possibly carrying or pulling a trolley) up and down hills is definitely exercise.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That is not the case. MFP relies on user info uploaded. A round of golf does not burn anywhere near 1000 calories. Unless you're taking about 300 wild strokes...

Yes it is, and is well documented with proven tests..

http://www.golflink.com/facts_4469_many-calories-does-golf-burn.html

http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/benefits_of_walking/physical.html

http://www.wcrf-uk.org/uk/exercise-calorie-calculator?gclid=CJ3zh6WPlcICFSXKtAodaSwANA

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golf used to be decent exercise when it was a 2.5 to 3 hour round.
I generally walk at 4 mph when out with the dog or on the hills. That equates to walking round a golf course in about 70 minutes.

Today golfers waddle round a course in 4 to 5 hours constantly stopping. That is not exercise. You need to be out of breath to gain any advantage, when are you out of breath on a golf course?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I generally walk at 4 mph when out with the dog or on the hills. That equates to walking round a golf course in about 70 minutes.

Today golfers waddle round a course in 4 to 5 hours constantly stopping. That is not exercise. You need to be out of breath to gain any advantage, when are you out of breath on a golf course?

When I have run 250 yards back to the tee to hit another ball as the one I thought was fine has magically disappeared...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I was using the My Fitness Pal site to loose some weight, playing golf contributed massively, a typical 4hr round burns 1640 calories.

I'd be surprised if golf burned that many calories. I burn less than that running 5 miles.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I had to register at a new doctors, I had to have the compulsory health check and when the nurse asked me about my exercise I told her I played golf 3 times a week. She replied that whilst any exercise was good golf was not great because it is not aerobic.
The amount of calories burned during a round of golf is massively exaggerated. As a general guide a man burns 100 calories for every mile he runs. Sad but true. From that you can deduce that a typical 18 holes would burn maybe 500 or 600 calories based on 5 miles ( which is a long course, 6300 yards = just over 3.5 miles then add the distance between greens and tees and not walking in a straight line) plus swinging the club and maybe carrying your bag. Carrying, I would imagine would increase calorie burn quite a lot over using a trolley.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A walk round our place is 6.2 miles and there's a trolley ban on now so you have to carry your sticks. That's a pretty good morning's work i would suggest.

Surprised that a nurse at a GP surgery is unable to advise on exercise quality, and what constitues aerobic exercise.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

My golf walking speed is "someone about to miss a train" ie brisk. Just means I have to hang around waiting for everyone else to catch me up!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the whole, golf isn't really enough of an exercise in itself to justify the time taken. It's a relatively gentle stroll through undulating countryside with numerous breaks to regain composure. If a Doctor was to recommend exercise, then I doubt that golf would be top of any list.

With regards to the calories burned, I doubt it would be too much above the BMR. In total I would think that somewhere between 1000 and 1500 calories per 4 hour round (uneducated guess:D)..

One of the reasons I prefer to carry (other than the obvious macho appearance ;)), is the added exertion. I play a very hilly course and I like to think that I've worked off the previous nights bottle of Red when I've finished..