Does golf class as taking exercise

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When I had to register at a new doctors, I had to have the compulsory health check and when the nurse asked me about my exercise I told her I played golf 3 times a week. She replied that whilst any exercise was good golf was not great because it is not aerobic.
The amount of calories burned during a round of golf is massively exaggerated. As a general guide a man burns 100 calories for every mile he runs. Sad but true. From that you can deduce that a typical 18 holes would burn maybe 500 or 600 calories based on 5 miles ( which is a long course, 6300 yards = just over 3.5 miles then add the distance between greens and tees and not walking in a straight line) plus swinging the club and maybe carrying your bag. Carrying, I would imagine would increase calorie burn quite a lot over using a trolley.

So all the links in #32 of which some of those people are experts in their field and have all done tests are all wrong then?

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Agree that a single round of golf is not much exercise in terms of calories and aerobic output, but over many years it must have a massive health benefit.

A well know Swedish study of 300,000 golfers found the death rate for golfers is 40% lower than for other people of the same sex, age and socioeconomic status, which equates to a 5 year increase in life expectancy apparently. They also found the lowest rates of mortality were in the group of players with the lowest handicap, who I suppose aren't as stressed by shanks and 3-putts!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So all the links in #32 of which some of those people are experts in their field and have all done tests are all wrong then?
Clearly, yes. Anyone who goes to a gym or has a calorie calculator thingy knows you have to go a mile to burn 100 calories. Many studies are designed to encourage you to take exercise. If you were told you would have to run a mile to burn off a 2 finger Kit Kat, most would simply not bother.
3 years ago I was 15 stone 8 (I am 6'2"). I decided I needed to do something, so I went to the gym every other day and worked really, really hard, burning between 700 and 1000 calories a time. This was a serious work out lasting 1.5 hours. In 4 months of this and eating very sensibly, I lost 3 stone.
Seriously, if a round of golf burned in excess of 1500 calories I would be as thin as a rake. Sadly I am not and neither are the vast, vast majority of golfers in clubhouses across the world. I wish it were different. It just isn't.

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since taking up golf in the summer I had lost quite a bit of my beer belly... not fat by any stretch but don't do any weights and only played 5's once a week so was growing year on year (i'm 32)... Since I've been my honeymoon the beer belly is back so trying to get out as much as I can.....

I think it's obviously 'decent' exercise without being great as not really aerobic. No doubt any exercise is good but if its "so good" why are there so many fat golfers?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since taking up golf in the summer I had lost quite a bit of my beer belly... not fat by any stretch but don't do any weights and only played 5's once a week so was growing year on year (i'm 32)... Since I've been my honeymoon the beer belly is back so trying to get out as much as I can.....

I think it's obviously 'decent' exercise without being great as not really aerobic. No doubt any exercise is good but if its "so good" why are there so many fat golfers?
Because the 19th hole adds more calories than the previous 18 burn up!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
"It's better than sitting on a couch but, no, it's not really exercise."

what a stupid comment, how is walking now exercise? you're telling me you arent tired after playing 36 holes of golf?

If golf doesnt burn over 1000 calories a round, then 99% of all articles on the internet, must be wrong. MyFitnessPal must have just taken a wild guess at how calories burnt is calculated? Drs in Sports Nutrition could have saved themselves years of training and just asked some experts on here?​

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what a stupid comment, how is walking now exercise? you're telling me you arent tired after playing 36 holes of golf?

Waddling around a golf course at 2mph with a break every 2 minutes is not walking and therefore not exercise.

Walking at a speed that makes you breath hard for a minimum of 30 minutes is exercise.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It amazes me how you can say walking isnt exercise..... do you burn an increased amount of calories above what you would sitting down?

If someone who is obese starts trying to lose weight, whats the first thing a PT would get them to do other than diet? walk, as it would increase their heart rate and burn more calories.

D

Deleted member 15344

Waddling around a golf course at 2mph with a break every 2 minutes is not walking and therefore not exercise.

Walking at a speed that makes you breath hard for a minimum of 30 minutes is exercise.

It is walking and it is exercise

It's not strenuous exercise but walking 5 miles regardless of pace is exercise

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
"It is walking and it is exercise

It's not strenuous exercise but walking 5 miles regardless of pace is exercise "

Nailed it​

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem is that, for most people, walking is a non-potential exercise activity. This prompts health professionals to dismiss it as a form of exercise which, in my opinion, is misguided.

Golf is a form of exercise. A few miles of walking and the occasional explosive movement on each shot. It goes without saying that the level of exertion depends on the fitness of the individual taking part. To dismiss it outright is very poor form and symptomatic of an ageing generation of health professionals not up to speed with modern sport science/medical thought.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I notice neither of you has answered my question about playing 36 holes.

I'll play 36 holes and never be out of breath. I have a push trolley, not an electric, and I freely admit to being unfit.

My ankle will be sore (too many injuries) and my legs will probably be weary.

It'll have taken, what, 7-8 hours? I'll get more exercise in the gym in 45 minutes.

As, I said, it's better than nothing but anyone who thinks getting pulled round a golf course once a week by an electric trolley gives them any significant benefit is kidding themselves.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll play 36 holes and never be out of breath. I have a push trolley, not an electric, and I freely admit to being unfit.

My ankle will be sore (too many injuries) and my legs will probably be weary.

It'll have taken, what, 7-8 hours? I'll get more exercise in the gym in 45 minutes.

As, I said, it's better than nothing but anyone who thinks getting pulled round a golf course once a week by an electric trolley gives them any significant benefit is kidding themselves.

Signifcant benefit?
I suppose it depends how fit you are already.
If your fit and active generally it certainly wont have a significant benefit,however it will have
more benefit than sitting on your backside.

If you are unfit,smoke,drink and are generally overweight walking 7-8 miles will have a significant
benefit than sitting around doing nothing.

To the op question imo it is.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here you go. Took this picture off the console of my treadmill. Distance covered 1.03 miles, calories burnt 98. Average speed 4.5 miles an hour on the flat.

image.jpg

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Signifcant benefit?
I suppose it depends how fit you are already.
If your fit and active generally it certainly wont have a significant benefit,however it will have
more benefit than sitting on your backside.

If you are unfit,smoke,drink and are generally overweight walking 7-8 miles will have a significant
benefit than sitting around doing nothing.

To the op question imo it is.

That's probably the key. I just took a brisk 50 minute walk over lunchtime and, at times, I was slightly out of breath. That's definitely of more benefit to me than a round of golf but not as good as 30 minutes real exercise in the gym.

I feel that people who claim golf as "exercise" are just dodging the issue - they want it to be exercise because they enjoy it. I wish it was exercise too but I play as much golf as anyone and I know that if I'm not also taking regular exercise I lose fitness and put on weight.

So, yes it's better than nothing, but it isn't enough.