Does golf class as taking exercise

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
Hurt my back over the weekend, so been at the Dr's and Physio today, both asked what exercise I did, I replied gym 2-3 times a week and golf at least once a week.. both scoffed that golf is not proper exercise !.. Now until last year I played cricket and would say that golf is more exercise then that ..

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hurt my back over the weekend, so been at the Dr's and Physio today, both asked what exercise I did, I replied gym 2-3 times a week and golf at least once a week.. both scoffed that golf is not proper exercise !.. Now until last year I played cricket and would say that golf is more exercise then that ..

Quiet shocked at that response from health care professionals. They should be accepting that any form of getting up and moving is better than if you'd replied that you pick up a beer with one hand and the remote with the other.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

A friend of mine had a heart attack a few years ago, and as part of his follow up, his consultant asked him about exercise.
"I've taken up golf" he said with pride.

"doesn't count" said the Doc.

That said, I've played a lot less golf over the last 6 months compared to usual. and I've put on half a stone.
I'm sure there's a connection

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

So a walk of approx 5 miles up and down hill and swinging a club is not exercise?? :confused:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes it does. I feel there's a distinction between exercise for health and exercise for fitness. It more than fits the bill for the former - gets the 10000 steps in plus over 18 holes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A friend of mine had a heart attack a few years ago, and as part of his follow up, his consultant asked him about exercise.
"I've taken up golf" he said with pride.

"doesn't count" said the Doc.

That said, I've played a lot less golf over the last 6 months compared to usual. and I've put on half a stone.
I'm sure there's a connection

Nothing to do with all that wine then?
:whistle:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grab your smartphone/tablet and get tracking some data.

Compare a couple of hours housework to a round of golf.

IMO both are decent exercise, golf is pretty good when you are carrying a bag too!

Personally the exercise is a side benefit to me, mentally it is very healthy which I see as a greater benefit.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The issue would be with the stopping that tends to mean the heart rate goes down for more than they would like, the good walk spoiled quote coming yo mind.

The swing itself is quite explosive and making 30 ish 90-95% maximal effort swings in the space of hopefully no more than 3 hours compares with weight lifters who'd train at times with 3 sets of 6-8 reps at that sory of intensity.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When I was using the My Fitness Pal site to loose some weight, playing golf contributed massively, a typical 4hr round burns 1640 calories.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I was using the My Fitness Pal site to loose some weight, playing golf contributed massively, a typical 4hr round burns 1640 calories.
That is not the case. MFP relies on user info uploaded. A round of golf does not burn anywhere near 1000 calories. Unless you're taking about 300 wild strokes...

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
What a load of cobblers. You walk 6 miles in the fresh air exercising a lot of muscles. There is no evidence that people who exercise vigorously live longer. Jim Fixx, the man who " invented" jogging, died of a heart attack..... while jogging. And you're happy & enjoying yourself, usually, worth years on your life.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is not the case. MFP relies on user info uploaded. A round of golf does not burn anywhere near 1000 calories. Unless you're taking about 300 wild strokes...

I'm not sure whether it takes into account BMR over say the 4 hours to play 18 holes which would reduce the calories significantly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see how the walking part could be considered exercise and I certainly walk further than I should looking for my ball. However as others said, the hear rate drops standing around and so I can understand why the medical professionals don't really count it. Got to be better than sitting at home and fresh air certainly good for the soul and well being