do you think this is true

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language

got this in a email with loads of other stuff.

It may be common knowledge.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could actually see this being true how ever, i dont think it is! Would like to find out though now its been mentioned.

Whilst we are on this kind of thing. Can anyone tell me why birds are used to describe 1 unde 2 under 3 under etc and why a bogey isnt called a pigeon? But seriously where did birds come into it?

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I could actually see this being true how ever, i dont think it is! Would like to find out though now its been mentioned.

Whilst we are on this kind of thing. Can anyone tell me why birds are used to describe 1 unde 2 under 3 under etc and why a bogey isnt called a pigeon? But seriously where did birds come into it?

A quick google search returned this: http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/bogey_par.htm

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
interesting link Yidio. I could come up with a few terms for double and triple bogeys - none of them could be repeated at the dinner table though...

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow, just read about scoring terms on Wikipedia. How many Condors have been registered in the history of the game do you think?! Thats 4 under par on a hole by the way - an ace on a par five!

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow, just read about scoring terms on Wikipedia. How many Condors have been registered in the history of the game do you think?! Thats 4 under par on a hole by the way - an ace on a par five!

It has been done apparently;

par 5 aces

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
A condor!.....never knew that.

I almost holed my first to the par 4 18th at Kington G C.

http://www.kingtongolf.co.uk/golf.html

Interesting to scroll down and read the description of the 18th......I pulled my drive 40 yards left and hit the pin!!!

The last hole I played as a bachelor.....(whoops, done it again!!!)

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never knew about a Condor either. I can see how it's possible though, although I don't believe the first story on the 'par 5 aces' link it was most probably a ball of the same kind that was left in the hole. Some par 5's I have played are only about 430 yards long though, so one of those geezers from the long drive championships with a following wind could reach the green I should think.