Do you have to be fit to play golf?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it enough to be able to walk round 18 holes without getting tired or should be all be down the gym, pumping iron to get that extra bit of strength that'll help us squeeze a few more yards out of each shot? I find that when I'm going to the gym regularly, my endurance is definitely better and I feel in better shape at the end of the round than I would if I wasn't doing any exercise. I don't think I hit it any further though. My technique puts paid to that!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
This was in GM last year, the picked some dude who was 20 stone and he lost 3 stone and dropped quite a few shots per round.

I dont think pumping iron makes that much difference but a basic level of fitness is needed imo.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Muttleee,

I used to be pretty damn fit and played to 8 with a best score of 74, but came down with chronic fatigue syndrome after a virus in 2001. I was out of the game for 5 years and have never regained that standard due to not being able to practice as hard or for as long. I can't carry my clubs and my concentration is crap compared to before so I play off 15 now.

So, yes, fitness definately helps. One thing that has helped me is yoga. I took it up as my partner is a yoga teacher and thought it would help my health. The bonus is I'm much more supple and my balance both physically and mentally is great.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I reckon flexibility is possibly more important than brute strength for us amateurs.
Yes that's probably true. Strength isn't everything, otherwise the strongest players would win all the time. Timing and coordination are probably the most important elements of the swing, imho. Sadly, I don't have them!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It does help not to be out of breath after walking up a hill, so yes, basic fitness is a must. My mate (a bit on the comfy side) struggles to finish well, as he gets tired towards the end.
It does make me laugh in the club house afterwards when people are saying they are knackered after walking round after an electric trolley for 18 holes on a flat course. Obviously, if you are old or infirm then fair enough, but a lot of these are 40ish and should be fitter.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ah, as I'm sure htl will be pointing out soon, it is not strength but power that is your key factor.

That said, general fitness i.e. cardiovascular WILL improve your game for the very simple reason that you will tire less physically and mentally and will be in a better position to make and play your shots.

Plus, it helps you to live longer and that means more golf, which can only be good.

So, in answer to the question (and I really could ramble on about health benefits of fitness training) no, you do not have to be fit to play golf (e.g. John Daly, Angel Cabrera, Craig Stadler etc.)

However, being fitter will assist your game. It is not coincidence that has the world's best player also as one of (if not the) fittest.

Fitter = Stronger = Better = Happier.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm usually pretty comfortable after 18 holes, but our 18th hole is all uphill to the green and then even steeper up to the clubhouse, so I'm a bit puffed by then.

Yes, it certainly helps to be fit to play golf. I notice that if I've had a lay-off for a few weeks for whatever reason, I tire more towards the end of the next couple of rounds when I get back to playing again.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Monty clearly dodges the gym and salads and he's earn a good wage for the past 15 years or so.

Just because he's a bit lardy doesn't mean he has poor fitness levels. But would a fitter Monty have hit that god-awful shot into 18 at the USPGA two years ago?

Plus, having someone carry your clubs and tell you distances, as well as scurrying after divots, flags etc. might just help a bit!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
just look at tiger, best in the world and fit as a fiddle. Says it all really.

That said to merely play golf for recreational value, you don't have to be fit but to achieve your golfing potential you most certainly do. Even the less fit guys on tour would be better players if they got themselves in tigers shape.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
toonarmy you missed 'more productive' unless you werent qouting Radiohead??? :eek:

Its not strenth as too much resistance training = bulk and less flexability.

Stretching combined with low weight/high reps and sustained low impact cardio is best for golf.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
on setanta golf channel they have wee sayings at the adverts, one of my favourites is the only exercise a golfer should have is playing golf(something like that and can't remember who said it)

the best one is "why have i got a new putter this week?the last one didn't float to well"(stadler)

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
If you want to really train for golf you need to do speed training. That is very quick reps that train the fast twitch muscles.

There's a guy on one of the forums I frequent who's experimenting with this kind of thing.

In the past few months he's got his driver CHS up from about 115 to nearly 130mph! That's massive.

Oh, and this guy is 56!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Good question.

Like many "comfy" people I could do with losing a few pounds around the old waistline, love handle area. I consider myself relatively fit for my age and can usually manage 18 holes without blowing too much. My course is fairly mixed with several moorland/hilly holes and also steady flattish parkland holes. The hilly ones do make you blow a bit but I look on it as a bit of exercise.

Re Tiger. Yeah, the guy is a magnificent specimen of a sportsman with a fantastic and athletic physique. He obviously feels he needs to be in this shape to play good golf. I wouldn't say Justin Rose and Ian Poulter had the same physique but can both play golf very well professionally as lean as they are. Next consider the likes of Monty, Cabrera and Clarke. Let's be honest, they're all carrying a bit extra but are still good professional players.

It would be interesting to see how the above went on if they had to carry their clubs themselves though.