Do you do this (and if so, WHY?!)

sunshine

Visit site
Not shown in my pic is a fourth column named 'Marker's Score' so that would cover a fourball.

But in a club competition would a marker ever mark a card for more than one player? We have only one competition where that would happen, which is our mixed triangle*, but other than that it's always a 1-to-1 relationship.

* Edit: But even that 1-to-2 relationship is pretty much still a 1-to-1 because the two players being marked are a team.

Couldn't care less about your scorecard dilemma, but please tell me more about your mixed love triangle - sounds far more interesting ;)

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although surely all cards include a space at the top for the names of Player A, Player B, Player C, and the Marker, thus rendering the need to scrub out the "A", "B", "C" as you describe anyway.

Still, if it's not for an official club comp you can do whatever pleases you. :)

Not on our cards....just have Player A, Player B and Marker

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have always done that, but I put a slash between the gross score and the points; e.g. 5 / 2. That makes it perfectly clear and I’ve never had any adverse comments. I suppose I do it to mirror my own score, given that the “Marker’s Score” is a single column.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
A few people have asked why we're being so fussy (not their choice of word, but you get the idea).

This was born out of my predecessors finding that monthly medal scorecards were being marked so unclearly that they often had to spend a very long time trying work out what the heck was going on. Bearing in mind the fact that they're (we're) volunteers, who already spend a lot of time organising comps, doing balanced draws, etc., etc., it was felt that then losing so much free time at home on a Sunday evening was unfair.

Nobody wants to see DQs, so it was felt that the easiest thing to do was to ask the members to 'meet us halfway' and just do the simple thing (and let's be honest, this is a simple request) of only entering the gross score in each box. That leaves the players/markers three other columns to keep track of their net/stableford scores (including the column expressly provided for that exact purpose!)

Anyway, my core question has been answered. This pattern of score entry came about from casual rounds of golf in which a fourball's scores was written on to a single scorecard by one player. Makes complete sense.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a club rule, ratified by the R&A. Our previous captain had a conversation with them on this specific matter, from which they confirmed this was perfectly reasonable.

I find that very hard to believe. The R&A is certainly not renowned for "having conversations" with Club Captains leading to approval of a local rule which does not conform to the rules of golf.

Appendix P of the CONGU manual shows the list of DQs for qualifying comps.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If marking singles then just gross in player A, similar 4BBB gross in either A or B stable points can go in far right column, team comps them gross/points against appropriate player(s) team points in right hand.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's a club rule, ratified by the R&A. Our previous captain had a conversation with them on this specific matter, from which they confirmed this was perfectly reasonable.

Sorry but I believe that the club rule to be invalid and very much doubt it would be ratified by the R&A - if I was you I would get the club rule confirmed by Congu

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For team games / social games I have always marked this way but with the slash between i.e. 5/2 in the column for the player. If in a team game the column at the end is then used to record the team score on that hole (i.e. 2 to score from 4 so total these and pop it in as the team overall score.)

Playing Sunday in a 4BBB shotgun start and I will be marking as normal and will be using this format.

For an individual stableford I would use the column designated for the points as its for a single player and there is room.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like others, I am very sceptical that was the R&A ruling.
Golfing penalties (which include DQ) cannot be awarded for a non Rules of Golf infringement. However, a Committee may, in order to assist in the administration of the competition, introduce a "club regulation" and provide disciplinary sanctions (eg loss of playing rights, competition ban for x events etc).

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Just to clarify, the only comps this club rule applies to are the 'alternate day' comps for which the committee does not supply prepared cards (such as we would for tee closures), so mostly our monthly medals. In these competitions the cards are prepared by the competitors as and when they turn up to play.

Anyway, it all works well, and the members are happy with the process.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just to clarify, the only comps this club rule applies to are the 'alternate day' comps for which the committee does not supply prepared cards (such as we would for tee closures), so mostly our monthly medals. In these competitions the cards are prepared by the competitors as and when they turn up to play.

It’s still a “club rule” which imo isn’t aligned with Congu so imo can’t be used for any qualifying or indeed any competition. As mentioned you can apply after comps sanctions on players

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When marking a players card , I put in their gross score in box A their points in the +- box.
I use the margins at the side for my own gross score and points.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have now revised my opinion, subject to the the R&A ruling having been made since 2018
The new interpretation 3.3b(2)1 implies that Rule 1.2 may be applied.

.... to help in administrative matters (such as the efficient production and communication of competition results), a Committee may apply a penalty under a Code of Conduct (Rule 1.2b) or provide disciplinary sanctions (such as revoking entry into the next competition) for failing to ....

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you're lucky, there won't be someone from your club on this forum who has been illegally DQ'd.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Witness the attached image, in which the competitor's marker has entered the stableford points next to the gross score in Player A's column, and in so doing ignoring the Nett/Points Score column provided for that purpose.

Lots, perhaps even a majority, of our members used to do this, but after a number of occasions in which the competitions secretaries struggled to decipher what was written (particularly when corrections had to be made by the marker) we've had to lay down the law and insist that ONLY the gross score is entered in to each box in Column A. We started with some education, then some DQs, and now it's much better, but we still sometimes get scorecards completed like this (usually by new members).

But I don't understand the reason why people do this. It's as if they think the net/points column or row is valuable real estate which simply must saved for later! It's bizarre. Why do you all do this?! You're driving me crazy, I tell ya!
View attachment 29246
Curious are u not obliged to take score in box as the gross score ?