Do you count.?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I remember once noticing on the first tee of a comp that a guy I was playing with appeared to have loads of clubs in his bag. I counted and it turned out he had 15. I let him know and he said 'oh it's ok, I just won't play with my 5 wood today.' I asked if he had to remove it from his bag and he said no, as he had now said that he wasn't going to use it.

I'm assuming he shouldn't have done that? He was a teaching pro at one point, so I assumed he knew the rules...

To add, I only mentioned it to him because it's the kind of thing I could imagine a stickler noticing half way through the round, and then penalising him.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Starter at Sherwood asked us if we had 14 clubs in our bags , wouldn't look in others . Remember in NZ I'd played a solo round and picked up a club on the 17th but pro shop was shut when I finished and forgot all about it till I pulled out my wedge on the 4th next time out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My bag has individual dividers so I couldn't put too many in. I normally only have 12 clubs in anyway so I wouldn't be in danger.

It has never crossed my mind to count the clubs in someone else's bag, never. Not sure I'd want to be playing with someone who came across and started counting how many were in my bag. Actually I am sure, I wouldn't.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot of bags have 14 dividers and a putter well...why?
Not sure but would be easy to put an extra club in and not notice.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yesterday I had a solo 9 holes before work.
Took a few extra clubs out to try different set ups and shots.
Hatched an experiment....

Neither Fragger or CVG noticed that I had 15 clubs in the bag today.
I deliberately left an extra wedge in there - had no intention of using it and it wasn't a comp
I wanted to see if they noticed......

Would you notice if one of your 4 ball had an extra club?
Anyone been penalised or DQ'd for it?

I'm not sure I would notice or count other people's clubs.
Would you own up it to it...would you even realise?

I probably wouldn't notice somebody else's bag having an extra club but I did own up to having 15 clubs in my bag in our annual Men v. Ladies match about 4 years ago....we found ourselves 2 down after one hole as a result!!!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I noticed my brother seemed to have a lot of clubs in his bag I counted them and he had 15, we were playing in our family society and he was unaware of the rule, I never penalized him.

I told him not to take 15 clubs at his home course for competitions, he said he had 15 clubs in his bag all season. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have had several wedges in the bag before (playing around with different bounces due to conditions) and had to nip back to the locker. Also had several putters in there when trying a few. I wouldn't count anyones clubs and I'd be a little offended if anyone counted mine in a match or competition. Doesn't set a good tone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember once noticing on the first tee of a comp that a guy I was playing with appeared to have loads of clubs in his bag. I counted and it turned out he had 15. I let him know and he said 'oh it's ok, I just won't play with my 5 wood today.' I asked if he had to remove it from his bag and he said no, as he had now said that he wasn't going to use it.

I'm assuming he shouldn't have done that? He was a teaching pro at one point, so I assumed he knew the rules...

To add, I only mentioned it to him because it's the kind of thing I could imagine a stickler noticing half way through the round, and then penalising him.
I think that's actually right because he hadn't teed off yet and you were on the first tee. If you declare one of the clubs not to be used at all before you start you're ok. Will stand corrected if wrong on that though. By pointing it out nice and early you saved him the penalty.

D

Deleted member 1147

A lot of bags have 14 dividers and a putter well...why?
Not sure but would be easy to put an extra club in and not notice.
That’s for your fancy alignment sticks to go in, under their unnecessary, expensive, fancy alignment stick cover.

Fabia999

Visit site
No, I've never had more than 12 in. I could play 90% of my shots with about 8 clubs i reckon.

I've never even thought about counting clubs, you'd have to have about 18 in before I'm thinking there is probably too many in there.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
There is a guy in my roll up that has about 20 clubs in his bag, bit of an exaggeration but he legit had 2 drivers one day because he was trying one out. Bag full of woods, wedges and irons. No one really cared. Could have gave that fella 100 clubs and he still wasn't going to win the pounds.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that's actually right because he hadn't teed off yet and you were on the first tee. If you declare one of the clubs not to be used at all before you start you're ok. Will stand corrected if wrong on that though. By pointing it out nice and early you saved him the penalty.
Begs the question how do you know. I wouldn't know what clubs any of my PP's have hit. No way I'd know if he'd hit that 5 wood in the example on a long par 4 or par 5

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Might be setting myself up for a berating here but on a similar vein as this topic… When I’m near to a player playing a shot out of a bunker I usually look away from them and look to their target as they take their stance. I do not want to see anything come close to the club touching the sand behind the ball

target.jpg

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Begs the question how do you know. I wouldn't know what clubs any of my PP's have hit. No way I'd know if he'd hit that 5 wood in the example on a long par 4 or par 5
Exactly the same way that there are loads of potential rule breaks you will never see and you need to trust your competitors to abide by the rules. We all know there is people who don't and in the end they are just cheating themselves and hopefully will be caught one day.

Lots of times I have had 15 clubs in the bag, i just declare it before playing that it won't be used. Save to say I have never been tempted to, or made the mistake of using it.

D

Deleted member 23344

I tend to have 14 clubs in my bag. Hypothetical case ... I’m in a comp and I find a club that a previous player has left greenside. If I pick it up in order to hand it in at the pro shop when I’ve finished, have I broken the rules? Would common sense prevail if I told my PPs what I had done?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to have 14 clubs in my bag. Hypothetical case ... I’m in a comp and I find a club that a previous player has left greenside. If I pick it up in order to hand it in at the pro shop when I’ve finished, have I broken the rules? Would common sense prevail if I told my PPs what I had done?
That is permissible and have done it many times . Last one was at Clevedon and the Pro told me Graham would be very pleased it had been returned ;):)