Do you count.?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yesterday I had a solo 9 holes before work.
Took a few extra clubs out to try different set ups and shots.
Hatched an experiment....

Neither Fragger or CVG noticed that I had 15 clubs in the bag today.
I deliberately left an extra wedge in there - had no intention of using it and it wasn't a comp
I wanted to see if they noticed......

Would you notice if one of your 4 ball had an extra club?
Anyone been penalised or DQ'd for it?

I'm not sure I would notice or count other people's clubs.
Would you own up it to it...would you even realise?

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve never noticed, or checked. Although when I play with someone who has a lot of head covers, I sometimes wonder to my self how many clubs they have.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll make sure before a comp that I comply

But if I was playing on my own or with my mates I wouldn't

Just friendly after all

Then again if I shoved all my clubs in my house in my bag I'd have only 13 anyways

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have done it twice, realised both times on the first tee, first time before Id hit my tee shot so quickly chucked it in the locker no issue, 2nd time was when I was putting the club back in :(

Cant say Ive ever counted anyone elses but have joked to a few people how heavy their bag looks ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope, never notice how many clubs in any PP bags, though i did play with someone who took a club out and left it with the starter as he remembered he had too many clubs

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was a guy at my old club who got DQ'd for having 15 clubs. He claimed it was OK because there were only 14 in his bag and the putter was in a separate compartment. This led to all kinds of idea for new designs for golf bags. But he was adamant he had not broken the rules.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would never count someone else's clubs or notice if they had too many. Unless they were talking about having put one in, at which point I'd probably idly ask which one they took out. If anything that would be more likely to make them realise themselves that they'd accidentally packed one too many rather than me realise.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
No, I've never checked an opponent's bag. My bag has a 14-way divider so it would be hard to have an extra one by mistake. I am now thinking of having a couple of empty head covers sticking out the top of my bag - see if anyone says anything.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When acting as a Starter I always ask the players to confirm the # of clubs and add 'Have you been on the practice range?' If they have I tell them to count them in front of me. Twice I've had players suddenly remembering they had been testing a new whatever against the normal whatever and forgotten to leave one behind.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had 2 putters in the bag. Only noticed one the 10th fairway.

Prob fell foul of the rule a few times. Easy enough done.

Can only laugh it off and take it on the chin.

Thankfully haven't messed up good rounds by doing it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forget the rules side for one second. Does anyone think they would score better if they had 20 clubs in the bag?

sunshine

Visit site
No I wouldn't notice or even check a playing partner / opponent's bag.

Similarly I wouldn't check if they were using an illegal ball or a non-conforming driver. I wouldn't check if the slope setting was disabled from their Bushnell rangefinder. I wouldn't ask them if they'd been practising on the course this morning. Golf is a game of integrity.