Do we need 14 clubs?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not necessarily the case where I play. This very hot dry summer in particular.

Yes - that's a fair point, but I think it's fair to say that this summer was the exception, rather than the rule and most summers will have rainfall and the rough will post a challenge.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh. I haven't really experienced this. If anything I find the rough harder as it's wet and full of mud!
I agree. We have some patches of heavy rough, not always that far off line and at the moment these are about shoe high but if the ball goes into it, it doesn't tend to bounce and dives straight in which a) makes it very hard to find and b) hard to move it forward. Yes the club could cut it back further but there is a fairway, strip of semi-rough about 10-15 yards and then the thick stuff so in theory you shouldn't be hitting it but as I found last weekend, it doesn't take much of a power fade (slice) or the wind to take it (definitely wind affected couldn't have been me) to get into trouble

D

Deleted member 16999

Oh. I haven't really experienced this. If anything I find the rough harder as it's wet and full of mud!
Have you thought of trying to play on the short stretch of grass between the rough, it’s called fairway, I think? ;)

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've only ever had half a dozen lessons but in the midst of them the pro that I was being taught by told me that when he was a child learning the game, his dad would only buy him another club, when he could play all the types of shot available with the ones he had.

A bit extreme if you ask me and probably slightly exaggerated for point, but in essence I guess he's saying that there is little that you can do with a 8 iron, that you can't manage with a 7.

Tin Cup syndrome I suppose. I once christened my old man 7 iron Sid, because I genuinely think that he would be perfectly happy playing every round of golf with a 7 iron, wedge(debatable) and putter.

Other sports don't have it, snooker doesn't have a safety cue vs a potting cue, tennis rackets don't come in volley/serve/groundstroke versions. I'd be interested to see the tour pros play a 3 club event and see how they do- I suspect very well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I get the irons thing, but I do think that the highest lofted club allowed should 56 degree's. It would add more creativity and skill to the game.
I can see what you're saying but...
If anything over 56° was banned you would have to have means of testing lofts. We all know that club lofts are regularly a degree or two out, especially after some use.
How do you know that your 56 isnt, in fact, 57.25°?
Drivers were limited to 460cc years ago but they won't change over time like a loft could...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to see the tour pros play a 3 club event and see how they do- I suspect very well.
The European Tour are running a 14 club challenge via their FB page. At a tournament they pick two players who then proceed to play a par 3 alternately using all 14 clubs. Once a club has been used it can not be used again. For example, pro 1 hits a 7 iron, that club is now out of action for both players. It goes on like this. It is good fun to watch, to see how they manipulate the shots. Not all come off but it is not just hit and hope, they have a plan for how to add distance or take distance off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get the irons thing, but I do think that the highest lofted club allowed should 56 degree's. It would add more creativity and skill to the game.
Oi, clear off. I like my 60°. Ditch any iron lower than 5 iron :p (this choice has nothing to do with my inability to play driving irons, 4 irons or 5 irons)

There is already enough skill required to play the game (well), hence why it is so bloomin difficult.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The European Tour are running a 14 club challenge via their FB page. At a tournament they pick two players who then proceed to play a par 3 alternately using all 14 clubs. Once a club has been used it can not be used again. For example, pro 1 hits a 7 iron, that club is now out of action for both players. It goes on like this. It is good fun to watch, to see how they manipulate the shots. Not all come off but it is not just hit and hope, they have a plan for how to add distance or take distance off.
I've seen some of them. Gets more interesting towards the end obviously when they're trying to hit a lofted fade with the 3 wood, or deliberately thinning a sand wedge. :LOL:

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My lowest round was actually shot in our 5 club comp, 8 under my handicap (including one lost ball) really makes me think about where I am losing my points!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some time this winter I'm going to play a round using my clubs in sequence , not including putter. Will be interesting to see the shots I'll have to manufacture 😉😉

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
My "full" set is only 7 clubs (D, 3H, 5, 8, PW, 54*, Pu), but I played over the winter with 4 (3h, 8, PW, Pu) and despite the soft conditions it had no particularly negative affect on scoring (typically 90 to 95 for 18, so a bit rubbish).

The last few weeks I've been trying one club only (31* 7i or 35* 8i) with very similar scores. In fact it has been slightly alarming how my putting has improved :-s

bm

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the last 3 club challenge I played in the winner through 9 holes was 1 or 2 over.

He did chip and putt like a demon. A birdie also tidied up his card.

The rest of us were not great.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My "full" set is only 7 clubs (D, 3H, 5, 8, PW, 54*, Pu), but I played over the winter with 4 (3h, 8, PW, Pu) and despite the soft conditions it had no particularly negative affect on scoring (typically 90 to 95 for 18, so a bit rubbish).

The last few weeks I've been trying one club only (31* 7i or 35* 8i) with very similar scores. In fact it has been slightly alarming how my putting has improved :-s

bm
That's just bizarre. I'm all for changing things up and trying new things, but walking round a golf course with just one club in my hand would be weird.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's just bizarre. I'm all for changing things up and trying new things, but walking round a golf course with just one club in my hand would be weird.
you should try it, i used to reg play 8 holes at Torvean with just a 6 iron, often scores just as well with the one club as you do with 14. even a 500 yard hole is only 3 shots to get on the green

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
you should try it, i used to reg play 8 holes at Torvean with just a 6 iron, often scores just as well with the one club as you do with 14. even a 500 yard hole is only 3 shots to get on the green
Nine holes maybe yeah. I think eighteen with just one club would get a bit boring. Also, I use a 60° to get out of bunkers, I think I would struggle to get out of one with a 7 iron since I'm not very good and all. Chipping would be ok as I often play chip and runs with an 8 iron anyway.