Do we need 14 clubs?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
probably not but i preffer to have them. I play in a hickory society and in that you are only allowed 5 or 6 clubs for some of the comps, it is quite refreshing to play like this now and again, same with DMD really, sometimes( not always) less is more;)

Redskins21

Visit site
In fairness it is probably more to do with game management and people taking on silly shots that they don’t or can’t with a 3 club challenge.

I think this is the key.

You might score consistently with only 3 clubs but there's a limit on how low you can score as well.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
once we have to carry through the winter - I'll be carrying as few clubs as possible. Not sure I've ever had a worse score than when having a full set with me!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
probably not but i preffer to have them. I play in a hickory society and in that you are only allowed 5 or 6 clubs for some of the comps, it is quite refreshing to play like this now and again, same with DMD really, sometimes( not always) less is more;)

You play hickory patrick, never knew that, you should've mentioned it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would 100% use up to 10 extra clubs if I was allowed. No doubt about it.

I have an electric trolley so that would do the heavy lifting.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Winter = shorter course , no rough, proffered lies , slow greens , damp conditions.
At my club on sat we shot 15 under gross in a scramble because pins in centre of greens.

Would you want to play in club champs off the tips , pins over bunkers knee high rough with 3 clubs and a putter.
If it wasn’t a qualifier some people do play better with no pressure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would 100% use up to 10 extra clubs if I was allowed. No doubt about it.

I have an electric trolley so that would do the heavy lifting.
Supposing they increased the limit to 18 clubs (just a random number I plucked out of the air), in your opinion, and purely for the sake of debate, do you think it'll make any difference to the pace of play either quicker or slower and do you think having more clubs to choose from will help your game get better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Supposing they increased the limit to 18 clubs (just a random number I plucked out of the air), in your opinion, and purely for the sake of debate, do you think it'll make any difference to the pace of play either quicker or slower and do you think having more clubs to choose from will help your game get better.

Not sure it would change the pace of play much. 100 % sure it would save me shots from time to time.

For starters I would add a driving iron and a low bounce 56 wedge. I would have to put more thought into the other additions.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

No, I don't think it would. It normally, for me anyway, takes the least time in my swing to choose which club I'm going with and I couldn't see that changing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not necessarily, i currently have 12 clubs in the bag, in my experience particularly with higher handicap golfers they have clubs that do particularity the same job ie 3h/5w or 3/4w /5w and to many wedges in the bag in some cases PW 48 52 56 60 just my opinion but to much choice
I have been cat 1 most of my golfing life and that’s the exact combo of wedges I now use .
This is because of the strong lofts on my AP3s.
I drop the 60 now and again for a 5 wood depending where I am playing.
My course is 6600yds but you need a good short game as it’s very hilly around the greens.
It is this end of the bag that does the scoring, as I can take some off a 5/6/7/8 iron but like to hit my wedges fully.

I do think most could get by with 12 clubs just adjusting the gaps in loft to accommodate.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why are people saying there's no rough all of a sudden?

Well in the winter, the grass doesn't grow and most clubs will cut the rough back - but even if they didn't, the grass would still be thin and not so much of a challenge.

In the summer, the grass is likely to be thick and lush and much more difficult to play from.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well in the winter, the grass doesn't grow and most clubs will cut the rough back - but even if they didn't, the grass would still be thin and not so much of a challenge.

In the summer, the grass is likely to be thick and lush and much more difficult to play from.
Oh. I haven't really experienced this. If anything I find the rough harder as it's wet and full of mud!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not necessarily the case where I play. This very hot dry summer in particular.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is funny I have played for 40 years and have never played a hickory club there again I am in my mid 60s and have never listened to music over a steam radio.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It is funny I have played for 40 years and have never played a hickory club there again I am in my mid 60s and have never listened to music over a steam radio.
you should give it a go, great fun. I only started playing golf in 2006 so never had to play with anything but modern clubs, until i tried Hickorys.