Do we have better courses than the USA or do we just have more history on ours?

Lummy86

Visit site
Do use guys/gals think we have better courses over here than in America? I feel like not enough pga tournaments are not played over here or is that no true?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do use guys/gals think we have better courses over here than in America? I feel like not enough pga tournaments are not played over here or is that no true?
The PGA Tour is a US organisation. By far the majority of players live there. The prize money is better and the live spectator audience is greater.
The Eupopean Tour and Asian Tour can't compete.
In fact in order to get money the European Tour has to play mainly outside the UK and play many events in the Pacific region

D

Deleted member 15344

In regards the courses

It’s prob the same level - there are prob better overall links courses in the UK but there are some crackers in the US

Heathland - UK wins there

Parkland - US wins there

There are a lot more stadium type courses in the US

It will be down to whatever is your personal opinion. Some US courses appeal but I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the courses you see on the Tour

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
And don't confuse the PGA (see link above) with the other US organisation, the PGA of America composed of PGA teaching professionals in the US

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Sorry clearly I asked the wrong question sorry guys

No Apology required. You frame a question based on the information or understanding you have. the purpose of the question is to get more information and subsequently understand better. Nothing wrong with learning more or just sparking a debate.

The bit about the PGA has been answered above, essentially the Americans don't play much over here due to the lack of prize money, possibly due to the crap weather we have for much of the year - I'd certainly rather be playing in California or Florida right now. With regards to who has the better courses, I think there are good, great and bad courses in both countries.

Lummy86

Visit site
In regards the courses

It’s prob the same level - there are prob better overall links courses in the UK but there are some crackers in the US
Cheers Phil appreciate it
Heathland - UK wins there

Parkland - US wins there

There are a lot more stadium type courses in the US

It will be down to whatever is your personal opinion. Some US courses appeal but I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the courses you see on the Tour

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the question is where are the courses better, I'd say squre mile per square mile here hands down (and not just because of history). No doubt there are awesome courses in America, but there's a huge amount of samey resort parklands with massive fairways, no rough, huge greens and chompers on buggies playing 6 hour rounds taking 169 strokes at the ball and carding a gross 78.

The beauty of the UK and Ireland is that you could go almost anywhere in the country, play an unbelievable course, drive an hour and play another. I don't know how true that is of the States?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I like golf courses built near lakes, forest and mountains, where clubhouses sell big beers, big steaks and big ice-cream.
And the weather is great all year round.

I don't know why I live in this country (apart from I won't get mauled by a bear, eaten by an alligator or shot) ;)

Lummy86

Visit site
Tha
No need to apologise. I was a wee bit quick with my response as I was rushing out. There is confusion between the two organisations which many experienced golfers mix up.
It’s all good. Am just new to golf was just wondering I stay in East Lothian and we have beautiful courses

sunshine

Visit site
If you look at golf course ranking websites, the US dominates. It has some classic courses that are world renowned, like Augusta, Pebble, Shinnecock etc. The majority of PGA Tour events however are played at resort courses, where the venue pays to host as part of its marketing strategy. Money and sponsorship are more important than course quality. The exception to this is the US Open, which is run by the USGA and is more inclined to make the course the star of the show (sometimes controversially).

The European Tour is no different, that's why we see Tour events at resorts all over the middle east etc and none at the highly rated classic UK courses. Again the Open is the exception.

Lummy86

Visit site
If you look at golf course ranking websites, the US dominates. It has some classic courses that are world renowned, like Augusta, Pebble, Shinnecock etc. The majority of PGA Tour events however are played at resort courses, where the venue pays to host as part of its marketing strategy. Money and sponsorship are more important than course quality. The exception to this is the US Open, which is run by the USGA and is more inclined to make the course the star of the show (sometimes controversially).

The European Tour is no different, that's why we see Tour events at resorts all over the middle east etc and none at the highly rated classic UK courses. Again the Open is the exception.
Money talks then lol. The home of golf and they beat us on it lol

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
And the Open is run by the R&A not the European Tour and its rules require it to be on a links course