DJ & The Olympics

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see that DJ has ruled out playing in the Olympics later this year, preferring to concentrate on The Open & WGC St Jude that fall either side of the games. Personally I see this as confirmation that golf should not be an Olympic sport, when the world No1 doesn't see it as important. I've always been of the opinion that to be Olympic Champion is the pinnacle in any given sport, but that doesn't hold with golf. I know Justin Rose has been very proud of being the OC, but I bet he'd swap his gold medal for a Green Jacket or a Claret Jug. Another reason is the coverage in the media, or lack of. Barely a mention of it even in the golf based media, when it comes to golf in the Olympics, nobody cares. Can you imagine the coverage if Usain Bolt had ever said something similar in his career?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Olympics is massively overblown anyway. Just get it back to 'who can throw an object the furthest' and 'who can run the fastest'. I don't think any sport should be part of it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Once again it comes down to what's the pinnacle of the particular sport or event.
Lots of people find the Olympics to be high up the list but, in golf, the Majors are the pinnacle.
For Athletes, the Olympics is the pinnacle so Bolt would never pass up the opportunity
For DJ, his priority is winning Majors, WGCs and the Fed Ex.
It's his choice. If people want to go..go...if you don't...don't
And it is a lot of travelling for what is, at the end of the day, another 72 hole strokeplay.
The debate as to whether golf should be in or not...I'm not really fussed.
There's several "sports" that possibly shouldn't be there.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure there's merit in a discussion about who would swap what title for what title, its kinda endless (I bet Rory would swap both his fedex cup wins for a green jacket... so bin the fedex comp?) Even saying that, Rose does appear to be extremely proud to be one of only two Olympic golf champions on the planet

Unless there's wholesale changes to the criteria for why/what sport is included in the olympics then golf should fight for a spot

Re DJ decision, his reasoning seems sound, we can only guess what he would've decided to do re attending if the schedule had not been royally screwed up

D

Deleted member 15344

As Imurg has pointed out

It’s all about what sports see as TM he pinnacle in their sport , what are the main events

Golf it’s the Majors
Tennis the slams
Football the World Cup etc
Swimming , Athletics , Rowing etc etc are the Olympics

Any of the sports were its seen to be the pinnacle the competitors will dedicate their whole year to get to the Olympics

Where as a golfer or tennis player will have their season focused around the majors and slams

D

Deleted member 1147

As Imurg has pointed out

It’s all about what sports see as TM he pinnacle in their sport , what are the main events

Golf it’s the Majors
Tennis the slams
Football the World Cup etc
Swimming , Athletics , Rowing etc etc are the Olympics

Any of the sports were its seen to be the pinnacle the competitors will dedicate their whole year to get to the Olympics

Where as a golfer or tennis player will have their season focused around the majors and slams
You could argue that a lot of sports have more than one event as their top championships.
Athletics, Swimming etc all have World Championships as well as the Olympics, so they have 2 yearly cycles.
And Tennis does (tentatively) include the Olympics as a slam event, hence Graff being the only player to achieve the golden slam of all 4 majors plus the Olympics in the same year. https://www.olympedia.org/lists/1/manual

I'm sure that many golfers will see the Olympics as a big event that they wish to win, but not all, if it hinders their chances of winning the Majors, or big money events.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I see that DJ has ruled out playing in the Olympics later this year, preferring to concentrate on The Open & WGC St Jude that fall either side of the games. Personally I see this as confirmation that golf should not be an Olympic sport, when the world No1 doesn't see it as important. I've always been of the opinion that to be Olympic Champion is the pinnacle in any given sport, but that doesn't hold with golf. I know Justin Rose has been very proud of being the OC, but I bet he'd swap his gold medal for a Green Jacket or a Claret Jug. Another reason is the coverage in the media, or lack of. Barely a mention of it even in the golf based media, when it comes to golf in the Olympics, nobody cares. Can you imagine the coverage if Usain Bolt had ever said something similar in his career?

Personally I think the size of the respective purses will have more of a bearing to some competitors.

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/ol...lling-out-says-head-of-rio-games-2898446.html

Last edited:

Grizzly

Visit site
I have no issue whatsoever with golf being in the Olympics - albeit I would have much preferred them to go for a different format such as matchplay to distinguish it from the norm (perhaps even with mens and womens, plus mixed pairs, or teams of 6 representing Countries).

Is it "as big as the Majors" - well, no it isn't. But I can see the other argument which is that a lot more people have won the sodding US PGA round PGA Random-Longgreenfields than will ever win an Olympic gold medal, and the latter comes as part of something much bigger. I guess its the same argument as exists for the Ryder Cup - there isnt a penny on it either...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no issue whatsoever with golf being in the Olympics - albeit I would have much preferred them to go for a different format such as matchplay to distinguish it from the norm (perhaps even with mens and womens, plus mixed pairs, or teams of 6 representing Countries).

Is it "as big as the Majors" - well, no it isn't. But I can see the other argument which is that a lot more people have won the sodding US PGA round PGA Random-Longgreenfields than will ever win an Olympic gold medal, and the latter comes as part of something much bigger. I guess its the same argument as exists for the Ryder Cup - there isnt a penny on it either...
It would make a great deal more sense if they made it a team sport by nation. As it is now USA have about a 50% chance of winning it just from sheer numbers. Maybe they should make it a Texas Scramble with teams of four from each nation. ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Can’t see golf in the Olympics ever being much of a thrill given it’s every four years and amateur golf wouldn’t suddenly spark interest in terms of being the peak of anyone’s ambitions. Anyone who went to Brazil seemed to love it but I’d much rather see some sort of team element, think I’d also like to see the caddies get medals.

D

Deleted member 15344

You could argue that a lot of sports have more than one event as their top championships.
Athletics, Swimming etc all have World Championships as well as the Olympics, so they have 2 yearly cycles.
And Tennis does (tentatively) include the Olympics as a slam event, hence Graff being the only player to achieve the golden slam of all 4 majors plus the Olympics in the same year. https://www.olympedia.org/lists/1/manual

I'm sure that many golfers will see the Olympics as a big event that they wish to win, but not all, if it hinders their chances of winning the Majors, or big money events.

Those sports do have World Championships but for many of them they aren’t above the Olympics - ask a 100m runner which one is the pinnacle it would be the Olympics - ask a golfer - Olympics or a Major it’s going to be the Major every day

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
McGinley criticised DJ for not going to the Olympics and thought he would be the loser for it, I think the opposite and don't blame him for not going, having that many people travelling from all over the world to a small country when covid is still around is not the most sensible idea.

Not to fussed about golf being in the Olympics it's not as if it's the pinnacle of the sport

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some commentators are saying that if the best in the world don't go it will endanger the position of golf as an Olympic sport.
They may well be right
But we did OK with Olympic Golf for many a year..I wouldn't miss it.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Those sports do have World Championships but for many of them they aren’t above the Olympics - ask a 100m runner which one is the pinnacle it would be the Olympics - ask a golfer - Olympics or a Major it’s going to be the Major every day

there is a romance to the Olympics, and probably more fame and marketability associated with the Olympics, but in athletics the World Championships are harder to win, and are a better reflection of who is the best in the world

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it is interesting that no event has tried to challenge the Olympics and they all stay away. Would the athletes be so keen on the glory of the Olympics if it clashed with a million dollar race elsewhere. Yes, Olympic gold makes some people more than that in sponsorship etc but just would be intrigued to see whether the Olympics would remain on the same pedestal that it is currently placed on if the athletes has the alternative of a very lucrative race elsewhere, which is how golfers have to look at it.

sunshine

Visit site
Ah the regular debate regarding the validity of Olympic disciplines. Golf should have no place in the Olympics, but neither should half the events. The summer olympics is incredibly bloated, with loads of dancing events which aren't even sports. Ballet is technically difficult and requires skill and strength but is an art not a sport. I have no idea why other dancing events feature as sports:
- Break dancing
- Dancing in water
- Horse dancing
- Dancing with a ribbon
- Dancing with a hula hoop
- Dancing with a ball

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Ah the regular debate regarding the validity of Olympic disciplines. Golf should have no place in the Olympics, but neither should half the events. The summer olympics is incredibly bloated, with loads of dancing events which aren't even sports. Ballet is technically difficult and requires skill and strength but is an art not a sport. I have no idea why other dancing events feature as sports:
- Break dancing
- Dancing in water
- Horse dancing
- Dancing with a ribbon
- Dancing with a hula hoop
- Dancing with a ball

?
This reads like Alan Partridge pitching to Tony Hayers