DIY Grip fitting

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive done the last couple of regrips for my clubs. Dead easy. Check youtube for instructions. Need double sided tape, solvent, hook bladed knife although normal flat blade will do and a if you want a simple vice. I have a vice but never use it.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do all mine after being shown by a helpfull chap in a local golfshop, nothing to it really. As said get on you tube to see how its done:thup:

winty57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
its no problem and will save you money........... just look on you tube and there are a number ways shown.

I use a sharp knife to cut the grips and remove them, then remove the old tape (scrape then clean with white spirit), i have a vice and a vice grip which is fitted onto the club and clamped in the vice.
Then use the tape by measuring how long the tape needs to be, making sure you have 1/2 inch over the end of the club to tuck in the shaft, when removing the backing tape make sure when smoothing onto the shaft there are no kinks.
Then fill the grip with a small amount of white spirit holding your finger over the end so it doesnt run out, them sqeeeze the top of the grip and pour the contents over the tape then slide the grip on line up (if you are having the writing face up), then remove from vice (if you are using one) hit the grip on the floor to remove excess white spirit and again check the grip is aligned correctly and leave to dry, a couple of hours or overnight if you can.
Simple!........Good luck

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think these two just about cover it:

Removing reinstalling a grip using a car 12v tyre inflator

http://youtu.be/qd3Qzz3m4cg

Removing and reinstalling without air

http://youtu.be/CFjA4S6SS6I

I've just ordered:

A small bench vice £10.00 deliver
Rubber clamp to go in vice £4.00
12v/240v plug adaptor £12.00

So for £36.00 I'm geared up and ready to go. Given that it's around £120-130 to have 13 clubs regriped or £12 each, I can now do a full set for £70 ish if using multicomps

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really easy to do once you've done it once. All I use is a Stanley knife, white spirt and tape.

It's nice to sit and do them of a night. It's better to know you've done them yourself than paid someone else to do them.

Plus you'll save loads. For me I use sharpro grips and I can do a full set for about £25.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone fit their own grips? What tools and equipment do you use?

Is it worth it or loads of grief?

Ta

Easy peasy.

Saves money, 100% job done well, chop and change when you want, etc etc

No brainer. Just need a vice at home and a shaft grip to protect clubs.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
So no need to invest in a grip fitting station from Gamola or Golfsmiths Europe then....?

Wheres good to get tape and solvent?

Just need the grips now. Thinking of the new Golf Pride MCC plus4 grips!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The hardest thing about regripping your own clubs is the removal of the old double sided tape. I find a hair dryer to warm the old tape helps no end in it's removal.
I use 2 in wide double sided tape and plain old white spirit.

Last edited:

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
So no need to invest in a grip fitting station from Gamola or Golfsmiths Europe then....?

There is no need for a gripping station, just get a stanley knife, some white spirit (cheaper than solvent and does the job equally well) and of course the tape. Done loads of regrips, not just for me but my mates as well. Never used a vice for any of the grips I have done.

Tape can be had from Ebay or Gamola, Gamola have an Ebay shop and they usually accept best offers if available.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I wouldn't say you need a station but it's going to be like a third hand. Gor the sake of 14 quid why not

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't say you need a station but it's going to be like a third hand. Gor the sake of 14 quid why not

Because it would be a waste of 14 quid.

£2.00 on Ebay including p&p for a rubber vice/workmate insert.

Some of the vendors on Ebay include one free of charge with the grips.

I bought mine and whilst I agree it is not essential, it does help enormously to have the shaft held rigidly, correctly orientated and without risk of damage during grip installation.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just brought a suction base vice for doing this.

I've gotten fed up of using a workbench so plumped for a vice.

Now just to persuade HID to let me di it indoors :D

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just brought a suction base vice for doing this.

I've gotten fed up of using a workbench so plumped for a vice.

Now just to persuade HID to let me di it indoors :D

I was doing a routine clean/relube of a couple of vintage airguns the other day. I've been 'given' a small cupboard in the bedroom as my man cave, so it seems only natural to lay the guns, in their cases, on the bed.

This has always gone OK, but on this occasion my wife asked for reassurance that I wouldn't make a mess, which of course was the kiss of death - I am now going to have to redecorate to cover up the oil spots on wall and ceiling:eek:.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was doing a routine clean/relube of a couple of vintage airguns the other day. I've been 'given' a small cupboard in the bedroom as my man cave, so it seems only natural to lay the guns, in their cases, on the bed.

This has always gone OK, but on this occasion my wife asked for reassurance that I wouldn't make a mess, which of course was the kiss of death - I am now going to have to redecorate to cover up the oil spots on wall and ceiling:eek:.

I think the kitchen with a tiled floor will be ok.

Big windows too to let the smell of white spirit out.

I don't forsee a problem :whistle: