disaster round today

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well today was a disaster :(

well after been back in golf for only 4 days and all clubs are brand new etc this happened today :(

went out on a course close to me which i have never played before. kind of a links course. Was trying the things my local pro told me to change etc. I was completely pish. the contact with ball was good but i was pushing or pulling the ball.

Started slicing off the tee but than soon stopped and i was able to hit the driver a high fade off the tee which i was happy enough with. My irons was really hit and hope which i wasnt to happy about. i was aiming at target and it would fade/slice off to the right. Then nexct iron shot i would aim left of the target allowing for the fade etc. then i would pull it. By this point i was getting annoyed in a way but wasnt trying to hard to let it affect my game.

My wedges were on target but i couldnt judge the distance for the life of me.

Putting. I was judging the pace all round the course but would any of the drop NO. this started to annoy me aswell. greens were in good condition for time of year aswell.

Am not sure if i should continue to try new methods my pro told me to change or go back to him or goto another pro and see what he says?

stevo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like one of my rounds,I have booked some more lessons with our pro next week.Im sure you will get it right but it will take time.Another visit to the pro will help :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always good to get a second opinion but it can also be a hinderance if one teaches you one method and the other shows you something slightly different.

I'd stick with it for a while as changes take a while to bed in and you have new gear to get use to. Some days your the fly and some days the poo. Today was a poo day

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well have another game with the same group of guys on tuesday at another course and i want to do alot better.

i dont only want to go out and play my local course i want to practice at the range aswell but undecided on what routine to follow on the range.

Also before i stopped playing golf i used to play off 4 handicap tho. also i know am not stricking the ball bad thats ones thing am doing correctly. its just the pulls and pushes i need to sort out.

DCB

Visit site
You need to get your head round what your pro had been telling you to do. If he was the guy who coached you years ago then trust him and what he says. It's almost impossible to go for a lesson one day and take it out onto the course the next. get yourself some practice time either at the practice ground or down at the local range.

It will come back to you.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My advice is to stick with the pro fairmorn. I went for some lessons last year as I'd been stuck on 14 for a long time. I struggled at first but stuck with it, even went up a shot (nearly 2). Then one bright Sunday morning in October I went out and shot a gross 73 (1 over), everything Id been working on suddenly clicked. I kept waiting for the wheels to fall off but they never did. Stick with it mate, I can confirm that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i know it will take time but i cant understand why am still pushing and pulling my shots and thats even after the lesson with the pro.

give the pro his due he gave me 3 things to work on within my posture etc shoulder alingment / lower hands at address / move left hand over on grip

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a similar problem with pushes and pulls but it was all due to swingplane problems caused by an overswing. After overswinging for 19 years it's taken hours at the range to eradicate it, and even now it rears it's ugly head and then, hang on in there, it WILL get better.
Off to watch the Masters now. :D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
fairmorn, I know where you are coming from, but don't be too hard on yourself. You had the game, you've got the gear, you've been for lessons and it will come, give it time. When I go for a lesson, I take the advice/drills/thoughts and then go to work KNOWING that it's going to be bad and hurt horribly on the course. You have two choices with it; put in the work and look forward to the improvements or just quit. You know the answer...

2 months ago, I couldn't buy a slice or pull...no way.
3 weeks ago, I'd worked hard on the new stuff and was pulling/slicing like a struggling high-handicap player (ask Homer!). I didn't believe it would come good, but it has. When I missed a green today, it was so much nearer than before (almost on/fringe/bunker) and a good short game player would have turned my 83 into a 75, easy.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
1 Lesson is never gonna get it all back so quickly, Fairmorn. Just stick with it. It'll come in time. You've obviously got a bit of talent if you played off 4.

Where was your round by the way? Nairn Dunbar, by any chance?